Sign in to follow this  
jaberry2

Moving to Norfolk

Hi all, was wondering whether you can give me some guidance as looking to relocate to Norfolk. We live in Hertfordshire and have got a place in Cromer (holiday home) so know North Norfolk well, but we're looking to relocate to Norfolk permanently. Happy to be anywhere within 15 miles of Norwich really. Can anyone recommend some nice towns / villages? Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Hi all, was wondering whether you can give me some guidance as looking to relocate to Norfolk. We live in Hertfordshire and have got a place in Cromer (holiday home) so know North Norfolk well, but we're looking to relocate to Norfolk permanently. Happy to be anywhere within 15 miles of Norwich really. Can anyone recommend some nice towns / villages? Thanks in advance.

Looking south of the City there's a lot to choose from. I would take a look at Wymondham, Hethersett, Long Stratton, Poringland, Stoke Holy Cross, Loddon, Brooke, Saxlingham and the many smaller villages that cluster around them. Most of them have a mix of old and new properties and they all have pretty good (by Norfolk standards) road links to the City.

• Like 1

After living in Norwich I moved out to Caistor St Edmund for a few years, really enjoyed living there, I agree there's lots that are nice South of the City.  Depends really on how close to Norwich you want to be and what you're looking for in the actual place you live (facilities etc).  Worth looking around a good bit before you buy !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

After living in Norwich I moved out to Caistor St Edmund for a few years, really enjoyed living there, I agree there's lots that are nice South of the City.  Depends really on how close to Norwich you want to be and what you're looking for in the actual place you live (facilities etc).  Worth looking around a good bit before you buy !

Caistor looks nice mate. Thanks all for input and appreciated.

I imagine that where I will be getting a job - Norwich, so I dont really mind where im located in Norfolk providing its commutable. 

Agree with Horsefly about Wymondham. Attleborough is also a nice little town with a decent train link to the city. 

52 minutes ago, Herman said:

Agree with Horsefly about Wymondham. Attleborough is also a nice little town with a decent train link to the city. 

With the added bonus that a number of players live in Attleborough. 

• Like 1

I've got family in Brundall and Surlingham and both seem nice places. 

I'm also Hertfordshire based and would love to move back to Norfolk!

Caistor St Edmunds would be a good spot, perhaps a little close to the Southern Bypass for noise? Stoke Holy Cross just south of that. But all the villages in the Tas Valley are pretty.

Long Stratton a no. Horrible traffic until they build a promised bypass. Out to Tasburgh OK.

If you want fast access to London, Wymondham and Attleborough are both good choices. 

10 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

You have a home in Cromer and you're looking to relocate to somewhere nice in Norfolk?

Is this a windup? 

8 hours ago, Jools said:

You have a home in Cromer and you're looking to relocate to somewhere nice in Norfolk?

Is this a windup? 

Its a holiday Let. I love Cromer, but personally not sure whether i would live there 24/7.

12 hours ago, king canary said:

I've got family in Brundall and Surlingham and both seem nice places. 

I'm also Hertfordshire based and would love to move back to Norfolk!

Sick of London and the commute mate. Norfolk is the place to be, when house prices drop a little more.

37 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

whats wrong with Hertfordshire?

Im not a fan of the part of Herts I live in, but want to get away from working in london. 

13 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Sick of London and the commute mate. Norfolk is the place to be, when house prices drop a little more.

Yeah I've not missed my morning commute into Kings Cross since lockdown began!

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I've not missed my morning commute into Kings Cross since lockdown began!

I commute into NW London from the end of Piccadilly Line. Its only this year I've not gone in, as continued commuting in through the pandemic. Just want to be done with London and especially the tube.

I just moved from Berkshire to Essex to be closer to my family in Norfolk. I have relatives in Holt, Wreningham, Wymondham and Thorpe St Andrew, but there's absolutely loads of lovely places to live in Norfolk.

19 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I just moved from Berkshire to Essex to be closer to my family in Norfolk. I have relatives in Holt, Wreningham, Wymondham and Thorpe St Andrew, but there's absolutely loads of lovely places to live in Norfolk.

Yes there are lovely places, and there seems to be a migration of City dwellers, our once affordable 1930's ex council houses have gone up in price by at least 15%, putting them on the market is like dropping water on a hot stone, they are snapped up in two three days. Housing policy is always in a mess, keeping the housing stock low and prices up, building rabbit hutches where you can't get a king size mattress/bed upstairs and or developing super/show houses with vast acres to spare, nobody builds affordable apartment housing for the younger generation to afford. Why can't there be a requirement that if you want to build a hundred houses, you will have to build an apartment complex with various sizes of apartment, for example, building one and two bedroom apartments for those with limited agility, who can't climb stairs, and larger apartment for families and single bedroom apartments for younger people?

Then there are the 3 million Hong Kong Chinese, not all of them well off, who will one day arrive and have to be catered for, not that this will accelerate house building much, we will have to manage with the resulting price hike and anything thats built will be snapped up before its finished.

On 05/03/2021 at 09:27, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

whats wrong with Hertfordshire?

Another one from Herts. Nothing too bad about living here other than being a bit dull and very, very expensive. If you are on a low/medium wage there is zero chance of ever affording your own home. The housing ladder has been well and truly pulled up too high.(But,as you say, this isn't just a Herts problem, just a little bit worse.) Jobs aren't/weren't too scarce which helps.

The positives are that London is 20 minutes away and the east is easy to get to. We have/had good local pubs, restaurants, countryside and a few good towns, Hertford, Hitchin, St Albans etc for a night out.

On 05/03/2021 at 08:57, jaberry2 said:

Its a holiday Let. I love Cromer, but personally not sure whether i would live there 24/7.

Ah, as I suspected, a wind up...

Within this thread you've expressed you want a commute to London and in the same breath you no longer want to work in the capital as it's a sh@thole..

Seems you're quite content to continue receiving the furlough payments we in the private sector are providing mind... 

Stay put where you are mate --- Cromer doesn't need anymore non contributors 😉

8 hours ago, Jools said:

Ah, as I suspected, a wind up...

Within this thread you've expressed you want a commute to London and in the same breath you no longer want to work in the capital as it's a sh@thole..

Seems you're quite content to continue receiving the furlough payments we in the private sector are providing mind... 

Stay put where you are mate --- Cromer doesn't need anymore non contributors 😉

You just can't help yourself can you. If you have nothing useful to say why don't you keep your gammon gob shut you sour pipsqueak. And try reading what J actually says instead of making up lies about his intentions. I suggest you stop leeching money from the tax-payer to subsidise your staff's poverty pay rates, and stop exploiting NHS resources for your company's profits, before you start criticising people on furlough.

Jaberry, I have no doubt you will be welcomed wherever you eventually end up, Norfolk people are typically a warm bunch and very unlike this buffoon. Good luck with your search.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, horsefly said:

You just can't help yourself can you. If you have nothing useful to say why don't you keep your gammon gob shut you sour pipsqueak. And try reading what J actually says instead of making up lies about his intentions. I suggest you stop leeching money from the tax-payer to subsidise your staff's poverty pay rates, and stop exploiting NHS resources for your company's profits, before you start criticising people on furlough.

Jaberry, I have no doubt you will be welcomed wherever you eventually end up, Norfolk people are typically a warm bunch and very unlike this buffoon. Good luck with your search.

The NHS wouldn't exist without the private sector, coco 🤡 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jools said:

The NHS wouldn't exist without the private sector, coco 🤡 

And your stalag nursing homes wouldn't survive without tax-payers subsidising your underpaid workers, and the NHS providing its medical support, moron.

Edited by horsefly

36 minutes ago, horsefly said:

And your stalag nursing homes wouldn't survive without tax-payers subsidising your underpayed workers, and the NHS providing its medical support, moron.

My staff are not underpaid, coco 🤡 And they're certainly not 'underpayed', you illiterate loafer..

Doesn't 'alf stick in one's craw the fact that the taxpayer is having to pay your student loans down and you can't even spell 'underpaid' correctly.

Can't you at least get a menial job?

• Like 1

Jaberry2 Wymondham and Diss would be your best bet for commuting into Norwich by train. Two nice towns with decent places to eat and decent parks etc. 

Jools and Horse fly, please keep your squabbling to the Brexit thread. 

7 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Jaberry2 Wymondham and Diss would be your best bet for commuting into Norwich by train. Two nice towns with decent places to eat and decent parks etc. 

Quite right NFN FC. I tried to help out J and got lulled into responding to Jools' abusive attack on him. Shame he couldn't reach out to a fellow supporter just asking for some simple advice.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Maybe we need a third section the messageboard ring fenced for the hurling of abuse.

• Like 1

Just now, Van wink said:

Maybe we need a third section the messageboard ring fenced for the hurling of abuse.

That's the Brexit thread, right? 

• Like 1