Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Hull fan review of the game "Norwich were the worst team to visit the KC"

My mate Gaz is a hull fan and went to the match and has just supplied me with his review of the game:

Paulo,

First Half was a rather dull affair with a few chances being created by Hull,
and a rather uninterested Norwich being bossed around in the middle of the park
not able to keep hold of the ball. Tempers of the Norwich players were certainly
frayed come half time. As for Hull''s goal, well after Leon Cort scored against
you guys from a corner at Carrow Road, it was somewhat of a shock to see he was
allowed to rise for an unchallenged header to make at 1-0. One, maybe two
flashes of what Norwich where capable of in the first half, but nothing
resulting in a clear effort on goal.

Second half came, but the anticipated fight back from Norwich was no where to be
seen. Hull should have gone 2-0 up early in the second with our stiker taking a
first time shot 1 on 1 with the Norwich keeper and skying it over the bar, when
he had all the time in the world to bring it down and get it on target. Upto 75
minutes gone, the second half was an atmosphere killer. The turning point was
with about 15 minutes to go, Hull as ever reverted to their favoured 8 man
defence and sat back on the lead, allowing your midfield to advance. Norwich
kept hitting us with Huckerby as the outlet, who must have got about 6/8 or so
crosses in the space of 10 mins and I guess it was inevatable that the pressure
would pay. However, it was somewhat disspointing it came from an own-goal, but
they all count.

As for your new-man, Earnshaw, he was that un-involved and un-interested in the
game I couldn''t even tell you what he did. Sincerley hope for you guys that he
improves. Was listening to the after game show on the local radio station and I
think the local consenses prior to the game that we thought Norwich were gonna
slap us, after the game comments such as ''Norwich were the worst team to visit
the KC'' (and we could still only draw with you), and of course the inevitable
dissapointment from Hull fans that once again we have thrown away a game because
we sat back and let you come at us.

But I guess we''d have settled for a point at 3pm.

Gaz

I am disgusted, it is always interesting to see the oppositions perspective.  In this case he really hammers home the point that Leon Cort scored against from a corner us at carrow road and we have learned NOTHING.  The fact all the unbiased media and opposing teams claimed we looked uninterested really hammers home a worrying point about our current situation....

So, really, Paul, your mate told you what you wanted to hear. Possibly no surprise there.

Regarding the goal - yes, Doherty maybe should have picked up Cort better, but individual mistakes happen in every game every week. Maybe that''s as far you can push that.

Having said that, we sounded poor, though I was glad to hear Hughes making a few good telling passes, and Huckerby playing more like he can. The main problem is still what it has been for many years now - poor awareness and running off the ball, meaning zero options for creative play.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

So, really, Paul, your mate told you what you wanted to hear. Possibly no surprise there.

Regarding the goal - yes, Doherty maybe should have picked up Cort better, but individual mistakes happen in every game every week. Maybe that''s as far you can push that.

Having said that, we sounded poor, though I was glad to hear Hughes making a few good telling passes, and Huckerby playing more like he can. The main problem is still what it has been for many years now - poor awareness and running off the ball, meaning zero options for creative play.

[/quote]

actually he has no idea about my views on worthy as he lives in Hull and we keep in limited contact, he sent me his report as I did for him of the corresponding home fixture... here is the email he sent on friday:

Paulo,

Not long to go mate, Hull City will be looking for their revenge following the
corresponding fixture at Carrow Road. Should be a good game I think. Following
Hull''s January signings of 2 strikers (Jon Parkin - 6''4'''' aka ''the beast'' and
Daryl Duffy from Falkirk) and with Stuart Elliot refinding his form we have
finally started scoring goals. Still the goals are leaking at the back, get any
half decent attacking side and they should open us up with little effort.

Will of course provide you with a full match report on Monday.

Have a good weekend mate (just not between 3-5pm on Saturday)

Gaz

anyway as for your comment "I was glad to hear Hughes making a few good telling passes" well not telling enough to create any chances against a team in worse home form than ourselves an 5 shots 2 on target proves from foghorn''s comedic match report, why was that a good performance from hughes then??  WOW!!  hes really paying us back now isnt he!! As far as the goal goes to get caught out at a corner set peice by the same player in 2 games strikes me a little poor...

oh yeah and the blinkered viewpoint is not just in our local rag, as I asked him to comment on Foghorn''s match report:

newspaper report pretty much mirrors those seen around Hull when we made the
trip down to Carrow Road. I had 2 reports from Norwich supporters (one being
yourself) who said Hull were a load of crap, yet the local rag in an attempt not
to dishearten the locals, seemed to be watching a different game.

some good pictures on this site though, shame we don''t get that for Hull''s
games. Hopefully (if we stay up), will get together next season for the games.

Gaz

I think its interesting to hear an honest account from opposition supporters. We are all capable of making an objective decision on a game. Lets face it, when we have to say that we were ouplayed by our hated enemy at our own ground when they were below us in the league having sold all their good players, things ain''t good. If we can admit that then Hull supporters should be able to give their own homest opinion of a "neutral" game. Even Darren Eadie on Sky had to admit Ipswich deserved it the other week. Last Saturday''s game seemd dire from the reviews in the papers and websites that I have read, I am always suspicious of journalistic intent but if your friend tells it as it is then its interesting to hear. Worrying though it may be.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]I think its interesting to hear an honest account from opposition supporters. We are all capable of making an objective decision on a game. Lets face it, when we have to say that we were ouplayed by our hated enemy at our own ground when they were below us in the league having sold all their good players, things ain''t good. If we can admit that then Hull supporters should be able to give their own homest opinion of a "neutral" game. Even Darren Eadie on Sky had to admit Ipswich deserved it the other week. Last Saturday''s game seemd dire from the reviews in the papers and websites that I have read, I am always suspicious of journalistic intent but if your friend tells it as it is then its interesting to hear. Worrying though it may be.[/quote]

the most worrying points to me were:

"and a rather uninterested Norwich being bossed around in the middle of the park not able to keep hold of the ball."

"Second half came, but the anticipated fight back from Norwich was no where to be seen. "

"As for your new-man, Earnshaw, he was that un-involved and un-interested in the game I couldn''t even tell you what he did"

"after the game comments such as ''Norwich were the worst team to visit the KC''"

I mean these comments come from a fellow fan whom has always wished norwich well (having been at uni here many years ago) and whom is giving his honest assesment of what he has seen.  No blinkers, no more bias than any other opposition fan and no malice. He is happy Hull are currently above the relegation fight as 2 succesive promotions are hard to follow.

My thoughts exactly. And if we can see it happening, and Hull fans can see it happening how come Nigel can''t (he said we kept the ball well) and how come the Board do not seem to see it?