Ok he was quiet yesterday but Gibson and Hanley were solid.

I am slightly envious of the Brentford scouting system and repeated gems they pick up, granted ours is also very special.

Clearly more fire power needed next season and for me maybe the next Ivan Toney is Mallik Wilks at Hull. Young, scores goals and only just turned 22 which for a striker is when they started hitting their stride.

Need to find the current Ivan Toney from the depths of Hanleys pocket before we talk about the next one...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought Soto was the best striker in the world now?

If Brentford don't go up then Toney will likely be on his way. It's the same situation as we have with Buendia.

Even if they do go up he may aspire to better and better might aspire to him.

However, the price will be £20m+ surely and that's beyond us even if the player were prepared to make the limited jump in prospects.

We need to evaluate our own young prospects first of all. Sittu, Idah etc. and I am sure that we are searching the lower leagues for succes stories as we did with Dean Ashton.

We won't see a £20m+ player in the yellow in the forseeable, imo. 

I saw nothing to suggest Toney would displace Pukki (in the short-term) and, as others have said, certainly not at the price Brentford would demand

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CanaryLegend said:

Ok he was quiet yesterday but Gibson and Hanley were solid.

I am slightly envious of the Brentford scouting system and repeated gems they pick up, granted ours is also very special.

Clearly more fire power needed next season and for me maybe the next Ivan Toney is Mallik Wilks at Hull. Young, scores goals and only just turned 22 which for a striker is when they started hitting their stride.

Brentfords recruitment has been pretty impressive over the last few seasons. Making a profit of around £80m from buying then selling Watkins, Benhrama, Maupay & Konsa.

I expect the likes of Rico Henry, Josh Dasilva and Toney probably arent far away from big money moves aswell. 

12 minutes ago, AJ said:

I thought Soto was the best striker in the world now?

Only once he moves to Brentford

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Brentfords recruitment has been pretty impressive over the last few seasons. Making a profit of around £80m from buying then selling Watkins, Benhrama, Maupay & Konsa.

I expect the likes of Rico Henry, Josh Dasilva and Toney probably arent far away from big money moves aswell. 

Their recruitment has been excellent, absolutely no doubt about it

Toney looks precisely like the sort of striker who is excellent in the championship because he is able to bully less able centre backs. He was anonymous against the more able Hanley and Gibson. He doesn't show any of the technical nous required of a striker capable of scoring proficiently in the premier league. I would back Pukki's awareness and movement all day long over Toney's more prosaic skills.

So Brentford have a good recruitment policy, good for them, but then it's always been easier to attract players if you are a London club. It is probably no better than our recruitment policy and tbh, given the amount of times we've been in the PL compared to Brentford, you could say ours is infinitely better.

As for strikers, Pukki should be the main man again next season, but with more support with a flexible two up front approach, Pukki and someone else. I would fancy Idah to make an impression next season as a partner to Pukki.  If we lose Buendia, we will need to be a bit different anyway, unless we can find another like him (or keep him!).  Pace and power will be important and Idah is a unit that could be a good foil to Pukki's awareness and ability.   

As for Toney, I expected more from him last night, he was almost anonymous.               

There is much to admire about Brentford.

Indeed they have a lot in common with us in that they have a clear playing style (they play the beautiful game in a beautiful way) and they have an effective well executed money-ball recruitment process which is delivering results.

Where they differ from us is that we also have the youth channel for acquiring and developing players. 

Toney (24) is a few years ahead of Idah and Soto (both 20). Who is to say that in 4 years time our two young strikers aren't at Toney's levels now?

I'm not knocking Toney, he's having a fantastic season and deserves all the plaudits he's getting but two of our 4 strikers are very young and developing fast. Toney is supposed to have cost Brentford something like £10m including add-ons.

It was £10m well spent in most people's view, particularly if they get promoted and he'll be worth more now but all four of our strikers cost less than half of that sum. Just say that last bit again to yourself. Its incredible really.

39 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

It was £10m well spent in most people's view, particularly if they get promoted and he'll be worth more now but all four of our strikers cost less than half of that sum. Just say that last bit again to yourself. Its incredible really.

This ignores the continued excellence in recruitment, and transfer profits realised, from recent Brentford forwards:

Maupay ~18m profit

Watkins ~ 25m profit

Benrahma ~23m profit

That is truly incredible, significantly more so than our current options. Two entirely unproven youngsters and two who are approaching the end of their prime.

In fairness, their ability to flip players has as much to do with their failure to capitalise on those same players as it does finding them initially.

If we failed to get promoted the past couple of seasons, I'd say it's likely we would have accrued similar fees for Cantwell, Buendia, Aarons, Pukki etc. The very fact that we got promoted the first time and look to do the same this season means that we've kept hold of the jewels, where Brentford have had to sell when they've come up short.

They remind me of Derby of a few years back- seem to be perpetually on the verge of promotion with a good squad, only to lack conviction at the sharp end.

• Like 1

If you want to go for the next young up and coming striker there are two options in League One.

Wilks at Hull, though he is a winger/striker who has 16 goals and 1 assist in 31 league games and aged 22. Or there is Luke Jephcott at Plymouth who has 16 goals in 28 league games and has better accuracy and conversion rate and aged 21.

I would say either could be worth a gamble, though we would have an issue in that Idah and Soto are both around those sorts of ages and arguably both need game time to get into the momentum of scoring goals regularly.

Wilks would perhaps give an option on the wing should we lose any of the players we have.

We also have Sinani who can play wide.