Sign in to follow this  

In my (only) 30 odd years of serious watching, I genuinely can't think of a defensive midfielder who is better than him. Remind me who I am missing and tell me I am wrong. Tettey, Crofts, Gary Holt, (Goss-ish), not even close?

• Like 2

Much as we all admire the great servant Tettey, you are right in that he (and Gary Holt) are nowhere near the level Skipp is now operating at. Tettey has been on the bench all season. Tells you something in itself.  

Incidentally Dean Ashton was on Talk Sport this morning absolutely raving about Skipp saying ............'Tottenham will be daft if they don't get him back and give him a chance next season'

He’s been absolutely phenomenal . I say phenomenal. What a football brain ! Plays with a maturity that massively belies his youth and lack of first team football before this season . I’m a HUGE fan . 

• Like 1

The fact we've all forgotten about Tetts shows how good he has been.

He also has a lovely ability to use his body and turn on the ball, and pretty good as a ball carrier too.

Could do much worse than trying to keep hold of him on loan next season.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Could do much worse than trying to keep hold of him on loan next season.

I believe that "could do much worse" is actually "absolutely essential".

I've no idea how we're going to replace him if Spurs are going to integrate him into the first team next season, which seems inevitable. Gonna have to spend some decent money to replace him

Its funny to look on the Spurs forums and see how they are raving about him and how many of their fans think he will be the answer to all their midfield problems next season. Much the same way that we always seem to hype up the players that aren’t getting in the team as if they are the answer.

Don’t get me wrong he’s a great player and I’d sign him for us in a heartbeat but it’s a big step to a side like Spurs that want to challenge for titles and European trophies. My feeling is that despite all his other qualities he doesn’t quite have the size or power to be a defensive midfielder at the very top level. I know we’ve all had our expectations lowered these last couple of seasons but if we’re trying to establish ourselves in the PL this time we should do everything we can to keep him, whether permanently or for another season. 

37 minutes ago, AJ said:

I've no idea how we're going to replace him if Spurs are going to integrate him into the first team next season, which seems inevitable. Gonna have to spend some decent money to replace him

Going to be a serious issue when he leaves, need a hell of a top player to take his place. Most would agree last time in the prem our midfield was far too lightweight and we don't want that situation again

Skipp is good enough to play for Spurs without a doubt but start every game? I'm not so sure, they have had a few problems at CM this year and it's not like Mouriniho to not sign anyone and rely on a 21 year old to solve that problem.

They are probably planning on signing someone proven in that position and bringing him back to be competition/third choice next year. If we offer them a substantial loan fee and promise to start him every game we might get him back.

This for me is the most crucial bit of summer business for us, we will not find anyone close to his quality to fill the gap he leaves behind and I don't like the thought of going into next season without such a crucial player. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Sorensen will fill the gap. - no problems.

Sorensen clearly has a lot of potential, but if he was anywhere near the level of Skipp he'd be playing right now!

• Like 2

Seeing loads of Spurs chat, and they clearly rate him, but they tend to think he’d just be a good back up, so the occasional ten minutes here and there. I guess, the question is, would he want to stay with us and then would we be willing to pay what would be serious money for him. My view is that we should do all we can to sign him, I’d love to see him and Sorensen as playing together next season.Actually I’d like to see him next to Skipp now, with Kenny pushed on to the no 10 slot

So here's a question then. Assuming we get promoted how much should we be prepared to pay Spurs for a loan fee  for Skipp for next season? Because make no mistake about it, if there is any chance of Skipp going out on loan again next season then Daniel Levy will be looking for a nice loan fee to make it happen. Anything up to £5 million for me. 

Skipp is playing with a smile on his face here - it'd been an absolute dream loan so far. If he goes back to Spurs would he get much first-team action? Staying (and playing) at Norwich to see how well he makes the step-up to the Premier League could serve Spurs even better. Think how experienced he would be for his age come the 2022/23 season.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So here's a question then. Assuming we get promoted how much should we be prepared to pay Spurs for a loan fee  for Skipp for next season? Because make no mistake about it, if there is any chance of Skipp going out on loan again next season then Daniel Levy will be looking for a nice loan fee to make it happen. Anything up to £5 million for me. 

He's not staying here.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes. Mourinho has said he already wanted him back and was planning to recall him early but gave him the rest of the season.

And you believe Moaninho?  You may be right but all JM was doing was flexin' .... if he really wanted him back then he would have taken him back.

Are you really so naive that  you  believe  everything you read in football articles? 

Dont answer that , your posting  history answers the question honestly.  Thankyou.

• Haha 1

Skipp and Gibson are to me the main reasons we look far more solid. Even if we have to pay more for Skipp than we have for any player before then I think its worth it. I just don't see how we can credibly not make a decent fist of staying up next season, should we get promoted, and we should push the boat out a far as we can for someone who we know has performed for us and gels with the team. We know we need a decent CDM, its either him or take a massive gamble with someone else. Tettey isn't the answer any more..

Glad to see you still smiling Cambridgeo, now about that            'best team in the league' malarkey 

😇

49 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes. Mourinho has said he already wanted him back and was planning to recall him early but gave him the rest of the season.

No he didn't.

50 minutes ago, Shannock1956 said:

Given the chance would you exchange Aarons for Skipp at the end of the season?

Yes. Max is great, but I'm weirdly excited about Bali Mumba coming into the first team. Skipp is on another level and far harder to replace, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Yes. Max is great, but I'm weirdly excited about Bali Mumba coming into the first team. Skipp is on another level and far harder to replace, in my opinion.

Yeah I'd agree with that- Max is brilliant but a good right back is easier to find than a quality defensive midfielder like Skipp.