The dilemma is of course, that we can’t take ‘risks’ at the moment as clearly getting promoted is paramount. But if we can’t give Idah, Sorensen (in his favoured position) and Dowell a decent run of games we won’t know if they look like Premiership material until we get promoted and then it’ll be too late to find out!

13 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Giannoulis and Gibson will be signed if we go up you tool. 

He doesn’t say they won’t be so why are you abusing him?

His assessment is a reasonable one and we would need to invest at least £30 million plus the fees received for Aarons and Buendia should they move on if we are to have a chance of staying up. I’m not holding my breath mind you.

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

I think they're nailed on to go. It's simply down to wages.

Replacing Buendia can only be done with ... er ...Buendia. However we couldn't possibly have replaced Maddison...

Over to you (again) Mr. Webber  🙂

And I honestly believe Max's replacement is in the building 🙃

Not so sure about Buendia being nailed on.

If we do get up he might hang around a bit longer but I think this is the last year of Aarons being with us as an NCFC player, depending on where he goes he may end up on loan but that's unlikely as he's good enough for most teams who would want him.

I agree about the replacement if you're referring to Mumba, would still like another in just in case and assuming we can't get Byram off the sick bench. If we can get him fit and keep him fit he.has enough talent to do a good job in the PL.

Its getting to the time when we can almost start talking in this way. Posters shouldnt be criticised for their views. Like stated above Giannoulis and Gibson will sign permanently if we go up. There is a certain big outlay on that pair. It will be interesting to see if Quintilla is also kept on, as I'm unsure on the specifics of his contract/loan arrangement.

Sentiment shouldnt really come into this. Players like Tettey may just be at the end of their playing career through us now, but would be good to keep around in a coaching ability if a possibility for example.

Edited by jaberry2

Honestly, the only way we stay up is we get lucky with signings. Webber, the scouting team and Farke are good at their jobs so tilt the balance in our favour quite a bit (Webber and the scouting team by buying well, Farke by developing players) but it's just a question of us having a year when a disproportionate percentage of our signings work out. 

Essentially we just had a poor transfer window in the summer of 2019 and that condemned us. Next time we just have to hope that Webber gets more right than wrong.

What is clear is that they recognise that we need to change our tactics on the pitch and become more solid as a team. That's been the aim this year. It's probable they knew that in 2019 as well but simply didn't have the players or time to adapt the approach. That gives me hope we might do ok as long as this coming window isn't a disaster.

Of course this assumes we go up, but I think the chance of us letting this slip are very small now.

42 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Its getting to the time when we can almost start talking in this way. Posters shouldnt be criticised for their views. Like stated above Giannoulis and Gibson will sign permanently if we go up. There is a certain big outlay on that pair. It will be interesting to see if Quintilla is also kept on, as I'm unsure on the specifics of his contract/loan arrangement.

Sentiment shouldnt really come into this. Players like Tettey may just be at the end of their playing career through us now, but would be good to keep around in a coaching ability if a possibility for example.

Thank you mate. There's been huge debate this season on how much we will be able to spend this summer if we go up, we will just have to wait and see. No of course I can't see us signing players worth £15m+ but I do have belief we will be able to sign a few players with a little bit of PL experience, as I can't see why we would be looking to sign Gibson on a permanent deal if we couldn't afford players of his level

6 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Do you think Mourinho (or whichever high profiled manager succeeds him), will play anyone who doesn’t have an established reputation?  I am still hopeful that Spurs and Skipp will think next year will be more productive for Skipp at Norwich rather than at Spurs - I think it would be the best all round.  My own preference would be for us to be giving this experience to someone we own, so we see the financial benefits of someone developing into a premier league player.  The problem is finding that player, and then accepting they are unlikely to be the finished article whilst playing here, so we are back to the promotion / relegation cycle.

Sorensen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Sorensen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I think we all hope so, I am a bit dubious, only because he has not been played ahead of skipp or McLean.  Btw that is a lot of !'s. 

5 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

He doesn’t say they won’t be so why are you abusing him?

His assessment is a reasonable one and we would need to invest at least £30 million plus the fees received for Aarons and Buendia should they move on if we are to have a chance of staying up. I’m not holding my breath mind you.

Fair point hold my hands up reading it back now.

7 hours ago, AJ said:

I've fixed it for you Keith, if they weren't at least in contention for the Premier League then we wouldn't be 10 points clear in the Championship. There's no way half these players aren't good enough to compete with the current bottom 3 in the Premier League, we have a much stronger squad than we did 2 years ago.

This was the exact same attitude as when we went up two years ago and that didn't go so well.

In my view we should be starting to look up and improve options in various positions. I still believe a player like Nketiah would be a useful addition, but if we are really going to push on a striker like Lucas Joao of Reading would be the answer. I am conscious we need better players all over to provide depth and better quality, as players which may of been regarded "good enough" after a loan like Melvin Sitti have failed to deliver this season. In fact, which players returning to us may be useful?

You could probably say bye to Trybull, Tim Klose, Drmic, Sinani?, Louis Thompson, Heiss. Potential further loans for Adshead, Famewo, Bushiri. If Quintilla doesnt stay recall McCallum.

Edited by jaberry2

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I think we all hope so, I am a bit dubious, only because he has not been played ahead of skipp or McLean.  Btw that is a lot of !'s. 

Am in the camp we have no idea too!   But we have found one, Sorensen!!!!!  Couldn’t resist!    
We will never know if he doesn’t get opportunities.     Would like to see some earlier subs so that some players do get more game time, Idah and Sorensen particularly but also Dowell and Martin.    

I can’t say much for the others but Sorensen is a very to make the grade, he’s got so much in his locker I hope we see him get a start soon in CM, if he does I think he’ll be there for a while!

2 hours ago, king canary said:

This was the exact same attitude as when we went up two years ago and that didn't go so well.

I also think if you asked this question after we drew a couple and lost to Swansea half these posters would have given very different answers on how many were capable. 

Equally its easy to underestimate the jump between the two levels. I thought Leitner could shine at Prem level...

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I also think if you asked this question after we drew a couple and lost to Swansea half these posters would have given very different answers on how many were capable. 

Equally its easy to underestimate the jump between the two levels. I thought Leitner could shine at Prem level...

I'm amazed some seem to have forgotten the lessons of last season so quickly. This time two years ago we had many confidently proclaiming the gap to the Premier League wasn't that big, lots of dross at the bottom etc etc but that 'dross' worked out how to nulify us pretty swiftly. That gap hasn't changed. 

The main difference for me is that Gibson is the kind of central defender that is probably better suited for a relegation scrap than Godfrey but I do think a large chunk of our defensive improvement is down to Skipp who we may not have next season. I also think Buendia and Aarons have improved as players so if we keep them we start from a better position. But the whole first xi, let alone the backups are all capable of stepping up is just wilful blindness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Thank you mate. There's been huge debate this season on how much we will be able to spend this summer if we go up, we will just have to wait and see. No of course I can't see us signing players worth £15m+ but I do have belief we will be able to sign a few players with a little bit of PL experience, as I can't see why we would be looking to sign Gibson on a permanent deal if we couldn't afford players of his level

I can.

Here we go nice and positive then.

These are my definite no brainers for next season: Krul plus all the other keepers, Aarons, Pukki, Sorensen, Giannoulis, Skipp, Josh Martin, Buendia AKA Jesus, Farke AKA God.

These are my yes'es : Hanley, Gibson, McClean, Rupp, Dowell, Hernandez, Mumba, Soto, Cantwell, Tettey.

Maybe out on loaners until January: Zimmerman, Vrancic, Placheta, Quintilla, Stieperman, Idah.

Sell: Sorry Hugill it's not happening for me

43 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I can.

Would love it if we can mate, as I’ve already said we will just have to wait and see as we simply just don’t know what our current financial situation is. I have to say though that I do not believe what some people are saying about us not being able sign any PL players, as I’m convinced we’ll be able to sign a few players with a bit of PL experience - we wouldn’t be looking to sign Gibson on a permanent deal otherwise 

11 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I think they're nailed on to go. It's simply down to wages.

Replacing Buendia can only be done with ... er ...Buendia. However we couldn't possibly have replaced Maddison...

Over to you (again) Mr. Webber  🙂

And I honestly believe Max's replacement is in the building 🙃

The issue is the Prem. Replacing a player of quality in the PL is far harder than in the Champ.

On 03/03/2021 at 21:03, Ward 3 said:

Giannoulis and Gibson will be signed if we go up you tool. 

That has got zero to do with what the OP actually said in his post! Please try and keep up.

2 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Would love it if we can mate, as I’ve already said we will just have to wait and see as we simply just don’t know what our current financial situation is. I have to say though that I do not believe what some people are saying about us not being able sign any PL players, as I’m convinced we’ll be able to sign a few players with a bit of PL experience - we wouldn’t be looking to sign Gibson on a permanent deal otherwise 

I think we did offer 15m pounds for the French player Claude-Maurice in the summer of 2019, which would have been close to double our transfer record. Obviously the effect of the pandemic on finances is a question, but if we do go up and then sell either Aarons or Buendia or both then I can see is spending that kind of money on a player. But they would have to accept our limited wage structure and - I assume - a relegation wage-reduction clause, and would expect to be a regular starter. Whether there is a 15m pound player out there who fits those conditions I have no idea...

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Yep, this side would get relegated in the Prem. Not saying get rid of all, but some like Kenny, Hanley, Vrancic - ideally need upgrades, with those players becoming backups.

Will support whatever Farke wants tho

Clearly Max, Skipp and Emi are our best players, past that there are around 10 or so that are good enough for the prem but need the right team around them to make that so.

I reckon 4 quality signings would be enough to give us the extra quality, experience and composure to do a job at staying up, with the caveat that we need far better luck on the injury front than last time around.

Gibson is a ready made premiership defender and a hell of a pick up from us. I'm actually shocked that no other prem side tried to buy him.

Early signs show Giannoulis is a huge upgrade on Lewis and plenty of ITK industry people are stunned we've pulled that one off as he's regarded as potential top 6 standard on the scout lists. Early signs are very promising from him as well, has settled in terrifically.

One more CM like Harrison Reed, a physically imposing option at number 9/wing like Toney or Moore from Cardiff, 1 more creative but physically strong number 10 (think RLC or Barkley) and another CB to challenge Hanley and Zimmermann and we're ready to go. Just the big headaches of potentially having to replace our 3 best players even if we are promoted...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Downloads said:

Yep, this side would get relegated in the Prem. Not saying get rid of all, but some like Kenny, Hanley, Vrancic - ideally need upgrades, with those players becoming backups.

Will support whatever Farke wants tho

Yeah that is it for me- Hanley and McLean are two examples of players who are perfectly capable backups/squad players at the top level but shouldn't be starting week in week out.

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think we did offer 15m pounds for the French player Claude-Maurice in the summer of 2019, which would have been close to double our transfer record. Obviously the effect of the pandemic on finances is a question, but if we do go up and then sell either Aarons or Buendia or both then I can see is spending that kind of money on a player. But they would have to accept our limited wage structure and - I assume - a relegation wage-reduction clause, and would expect to be a regular starter. Whether there is a 15m pound player out there who fits those conditions I have no idea...

For example, if there is a (rare) consensus here it is that we do not have a Premier League-quality number 10 in the squad. I can see us paying a large amount of money for such if the player otherwise fits in with our wage constraints.

By the by, I had a sneak look at Webber's list of head coaches to replace Farke if and when, and I approve of the name at the top. Webber is plainly a fan of the novel Moby-****...😎

On 04/03/2021 at 07:43, horsefly said:

After the Covid restart Onel was by far our best player. And I really don't see the point of writing off players like Idah before they have even had the chance to show what they can do. 

Thank you for noting this - so many posters appear to have forgotten how he finished last season! Plus 8 goals and 10 assists in 18/19. It’s a real shame he’s not been able to feature more so far this season.

Not saying he will 100% make the step up as a regular in the PL but at the least he will be a viable option from the bench!

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Thank you for noting this - so many posters appear to have forgotten how he finished last season! Plus 8 goals and 10 assists in 18/19. It’s a real shame he’s not been able to feature more so far this season.

Not saying he will 100% make the step up as a regular in the PL but at the least he will be a viable option from the bench!

I must say I've been suprised how quick some have been to criticise Onel after just 2 games back from a long injury lay off. At his best he showed he was capable of making a goal or an assist out of nothing (as 18/19 showed on numerous occasions). Always gives 100% and does a lot of defensive work that goes unrecognised.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I must say I've been suprised how quick some have been to criticise Onel after just 2 games back from a long injury lay off. At his best he showed he was capable of making a goal or an assist out of nothing (as 18/19 showed on numerous occasions). Always gives 100% and does a lot of defensive work that goes unrecognised.

Totally. Quite a few of our players fall into this category. Dowell looked class prior to injury but has offered very little in the very short amount of minutes he's had. Im surprised he hasnt been able to dislodge Vrancic in all honesty. These players need time to get back to their best and then we can judge them on their contribution.