Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Jeremy Goss

Absolute legend, scored some cracking goals for us back in the day; really doesn't understand the modern game. It's like listening to your granddad!

I'm watching a game being controlled by the team who are top of the league. Excellent game management. Staying compact and not taking any risks.

Mr Goss is describing a different game where Norwich are under immense pressure, being forced into mistakes and just about hanging on.

**Edit**

To be fair, since I posted this, he's mentioned how in control we are several times.

Edited by Petriix

I tend to agree ATG - Goss was an ok enough player and scored some stunners, but he wasn’t really an out and out first teamer that much of his career, 188 apps in 13 years kind of tells a story.

I think the undertones here that Goss was a bit average are wide of the mark. He was early in his City career, perhaps, but in that 92 season and the Europe one he was immense and a club legend.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Grando said:

I think the undertones here that Goss was a bit average are wide of the mark. He was early in his City career, perhaps, but in that 92 season and the Europe one he was immense and a club legend.

This. Goss was quality. 

• Like 2

He played and excelled in a team that finished 3rd in the premiership and competed in the UEFA Cup, average he was not!

• Like 1

Goss is very good on co-comms I think. Should have him on every week.

Why did Goss make so few appearances considering his long stay? Think I remember reading he was on the transfer list for a lot of the early 90s.

• Like 2

He's a legend for a reason and feeling nervous or tense watching us when we are only 1-0 up, having missed at least two clear chances to score more, shows how much he cares. Enjoyed his commentary. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Why did Goss make so few appearances considering his long stay? Think I remember reading he was on the transfer list for a lot of the early 90s.

I think he was just kept out of the team by very good midfielders in his early days through no fault of his own. Squad rotation back then wasn’t really a thing so players had to be more patient for game time.

5 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

He played and excelled in a team that finished 3rd in the premiership and competed in the UEFA Cup, average he was not!

Excelled? Name me a player out of Gunn, Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston, Butterworth, (Goss), Crook, Fox, Phillips, Sutton, Robins (Ekoku) that he was better than?

5 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Excelled? Name me a player out of Gunn, Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston, Butterworth, (Goss), Crook, Fox, Phillips, Sutton, Robins (Ekoku) that he was better than?

I didn’t think I  said he was better than anyone particularly, but the whole squad excelled (that includes Goss). They finished 3rd in the premiership for Christ sake and then went on that impressive UEFA cup run. Imagine the kind of players we’d have in our squad if we achieved that today? It be fair to say they’d be pretty good, no?

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Absolute legend, scored some cracking goals for us back in the day; really doesn't understand the modern game. It's like listening to your granddad!

Respectfully disagree. Compared to some his analysis is spot on. You can tell he has played the game at the top level and knows his stuff from beginning to end. If you care to listen to Radio Norfolk now (20.18) he is still in full flow with perceptive analysis. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

I didn’t think I  said he was better than anyone particularly, but the whole squad excelled (that includes Goss). They finished 3rd in the premiership for Christ sake and then went on that impressive UEFA cup run. Imagine the kind of players we’d have in our squad if we achieved that today? It be fair to say they’d be pretty good, no?

He's the Darren Fletcher / John O'Shea of our squad from the 90's. Decent, put in a shift (the odd worldie too) but was lucky to be in a team with very good players, whom were better than him.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

He's the Darren Fletcher / John O'Shea of our squad from the 90's. Decent, put in a shift (the odd worldie too) but was lucky to be in a team with very good players, whom were better than him.

We’ll have to agree to disagree I suppose. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Yes I agree, he came across really well during commentary and is obviously knowledgable about the game. Every week please

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Respectfully disagree. Compared to some his analysis is spot on. You can tell he has played the game at the top level and knows his stuff from beginning to end. If you care to listen to Radio Norfolk now (20.18) he is still in full flow with perceptive analysis. 

Thanks for the respectful disagreement. There's not enough of that about these days.

I just found it all a bit frustrating as he kept describing how Brentford were 'forcing us back' when we were stroking the ball about with great composure, retaining possession and waiting for them to make a positional mistake before pouncing; which we did repeatedly. Then he criticised the Brentford defence for standing off Emi when they were actually pretty tight, underplaying the skill it took to carve them open.

He started the second half raving about how Brentford had come out with a greater intensity, suggesting they were on top when we were in total control. To be fair, he totally changed his tune after my post and started praising our defence.

18 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree I suppose. 

Perhaps, but 180 games in 13 years tends to disagree with you.

Seems to me that Gossy hit his peak later than maybe other players did, he played a massive part in 92-93, and especially 93-94 (Munich goals, the crackers against Leeds and Liverpool, and a derby winner against that lot down the road!) so for that alone he is a legend as he was a huge part of a great team.

Enjoyed listening to him on the game and phone in afterwards.

• Like 1

Me too. But he really needs to work on his pronunciation of 'camaraderie'.  He gets lost in the middle of it, but back on track by the end.

Have we really run out of things to moan about with the current squad that we're now rewriting history instead?? Gossy.......average???😂😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

This, I started off not liking the rotation of co-commentators after NEEEEEYYULLL Adnams.

I do think we are utterly spoilt for choice now and having different ex players each week gives a wider range of insight that I enjoy. I have to say I really do feel that Gossy has a much better broader picture of the game IMHO. At times doing a better job than Goreham. But that is what he is there for.

He was fairly unbiased at times too. When Norwich were under the cosh he isn't scared to say it and name what he is seeing to suggest it. Early on Brentford did have chances, as they did late on. Pukki could have put us out of sight by half time.

As for our defence - I'm not sure what you were listening too but he said several times throughout the game that whilst they were being closed down and put under pressure, they remained calm and passed the ball around well.

Couldn't hear anything wrong with what he said this evening.

As for 

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Right, lets get to work. He was a CM. So that rules out Gunn, Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston, Butterworth, Fox, Sutton, Robins, Ekoku.

That's a bit like comparing a fork lift to a mini-cab. They do different jobs, if you ask which is better for moving pallets and tried to tell me it was the mini-cab I would walk away and mutter obscenities under my breath.

It's also worth noting that whoever played alongside Crook was playing to enable him to play his best game. Crook wasn't exactly a box to box midfielder. So the other player had to have an engine. 

What Gossy had in buckets was determination, energy and a bloody massive work ethic. Very few of our squads back then had what you would call a huge star. Yes, we had the likes of Sutton who would go on to have a glittering career elsewhere, and Fox and Bowen who would have successful topflight careers away from us. But as a general rule, much like other successful teams in recent times, it was the togetherness/team spirit that took us places.

Crook was a bit like Hoolahan in the sense that we bloody loved him but no one else ever seemed to think him good enough to want to swoop in for. Mind you, he was 30 in 1993 so that may also have played against him a bit.

Gossy epitomised that squad. It was all about hard work. A number of those players had been rejected from other clubs and we cheap buys bought in from reserve teams. Crook, Bowen, Polston and Culverhouse were all plucked from the Spurs reserves for example. 

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I tend to agree that he wasn't the star of the early 90s squad, but maybe  he's the George Cohen of the squad, more than held his own in a team of some of the best that have ever put on the shirt?

Edited by Barbe bleu

3 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I tend to agree that he wasn't the star of the early 90s squad, but maybe  he's the George Cohen of the squad, more than held his own in a team of some of the best that have ever put on the shirt?

Didier Deschamps comes to mind. One thing is very clear to hear from his commentary is that he does have a very good understanding of the game. Deschamps was often called the "water carrier" because he wasn't the most talented player in that French national team at the time. But he did the work few others were prepared to do and it worked. Sometimes you need players that bring other parts of the team together and not be stars in their own right.

Often people see defensive midfielders like that. I think Gossy was a bit more. He was more mobile than Crook, for example. He complemented Crook.

Gary Holt wasn't the most talented player in our team when he played, but his tough tackling and 'third lung' ensured that our attacking players could go forward and know we had a player to mop up behind them. In some senses, the same reason as Fleming and Mackay were such a good partnership. One was a great stopper that had good positional sense and aerial prowess, the other had much more pace and far better distribution. Mackay, on paper, in the cold light of day, does not get in the top 5 Norwich city centre backs. But as a pairing, they were the best we have had since relegation in the 1990's... bar perhaps what we are seeing developing on the pitch right now.