Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Ipswich youth academy leaves teen suicidal

Nothing surprises me about that article, disgusting behaviour from a grubby little club.

"Academy highly regarded", hardly. And certainly not anymore!

Well we have all long since joked that the place is a ...................'living hell' it appears that we may have been pretty much spot on!

It's pretty unforgivable that this can happen in this day and age. Given all the courses and training committee members and coaches at grassroots level have to go through, people operating at a professional level must have to go through even more and still situations like this arise.

My experience of NCFC academy is the targeted work they put into players that are released - which even includes financial matters as well as the more obvious mental health issues . 

The vast majority of players don’t make it of course , so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to either party that contingency work has to be done . 

If someone told the lad to “man up” then they want shooting . 

• Like 1

Hmmm.... allegations of bullying of kids at Villa when Lambert was there as well.

Culverhouse and Karsa were the fall guys, and yet no such complaints at King's Lynn and Culverhouse is clearly a good man manager otherwise he wouldn't have been successful there.

Seems that it may be part of the 'culture' that Lambert brings to a club.

58 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Nothing surprises me about that article, disgusting behaviour from a grubby little club.

Tom Adeyemi signed for Ipswich as a solid and established Championship midfielder, and then disappeared from the sport entirely. 

He's 29 ad hasn't played for three years. No social media or anything.

What have they done to him? Broken him too? 

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Tom Adeyemi signed for Ipswich as a solid and established Championship midfielder, and then disappeared from the sport entirely. 

He's 29 ad hasn't played for three years. No social media or anything.

What have they done to him? Broken him too? 

Didn't Adeyemi have an awful time with injuries? More like that was it rather than Ipswich in general.

2 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Well, it's probably highly regarded by themselves, if not by anybody else. I can't remember the last player of any note who came out of their academy - according to transfermkt no one memorable since  Matt Clarke in 1996.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Didn't Adeyemi have an awful time with injuries? More like that was it rather than Ipswich in general.

Yes, I believe he had issues with his ankles/achilles and it was too painful for him to play. I recall the manager at the time basically telling him to get on and live with it. It appears after he left at the expiry of his contract and hasn't played football since. A shame as he had a reasonably good career up until that point.

If I remember rightly he was a pretty smart kid, so I hope he's gone on to make a decent career somewhere.

26 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Well, it's probably highly regarded by themselves, if not by anybody else. I can't remember the last player of any note who came out of their academy - according to transfermkt no one memorable since  Matt Clarke in 1996.

Darren Bent probably the last one? 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Dunno, have you spent much time in Ipswich?

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I believe Clarke was born in 1996 rather than coming through then.

Jordan Rhodes and Jack Marriott are both Ipswich academy grads too.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

"mysterious virus" was given as the cause at the time.

A post on TWTD recently suggested that he'd retired from football to pursue academia and is now enrolled at university.

But still odd about this "mysterious illness", sounds very much like he moved to Ipswich and very quickly fell out of love with the game!

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

Nick Pope is an Ipswich reject.

Hilarious how they've discarded the likes of Rhodes, Marriott, Pope and Clarke, only for them to play well above Ipswich's current level. 

They do have a couple of good youngsters at the minute to be fair, Downes and Woolfendeen I'd expect to have good Championship careers at least. Nobody anywhere near Max Aarons or Todd Cantwell calibre.

Shame Marcus Evans is selling up really, would have been nice to poach Woolfendeen while they were skint. 

6 hours ago, king canary said:

Oh OK, sorry, my bad. Still, not a lot in recent years though.

Also the lesser spotted Conor Wickham... Still at Palace, I feel like he should be 47 but he's 27, 28 at the end of the month. Ryan Bennett was with them as well at one point during his youth development... A bit older but also Richard Wright.

That said, you'd expect every club to be able to turn out players. So many of those we have mentioned were discarded quite readily. Few sold on went on to bigger and better things and I am not sure stealing a wage at Crystal Palace can count either tbh.

We are lucky, our club has taken our youth system very seriously. A good supportive system not only makes better players, but gives good players a better chance of having a career in football. Folks often get wrapped up over those that are going to make the first team but often don't consider the ones that don't but still make it.

In the Championship alone I think there is quite a few players. Could we make a squad of former Norwich Youth players playing in the Championship?

GK: Rudd / Gunn
RB: Aarons
LB: Toffolo
CB: 
CB: 
RW: Cantwell
LW: Josh Murphy
CM: Korey Smith
CM: Mehmeti
STR: Chris Martin
STR: Morris

That's about as much as I can do off the top of my head... A bit bare on CB's, I know Toffolo can play there, or at least did at youth level. Shackell is the only CB I can think of otherwise and he was last playing for Lincoln so not high enough a level.

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Nick Pope is an Ipswich reject.

Hilarious how they've discarded the likes of Rhodes, Marriott, Pope and Clarke, only for them to play well above Ipswich's current level. 

They do have a couple of good youngsters at the minute to be fair, Downes and Woolfendeen I'd expect to have good Championship careers at least. Nobody anywhere near Max Aarons or Todd Cantwell calibre.

Shame Marcus Evans is selling up really, would have been nice to poach Woolfendeen while they were skint. 

Yeah in recent years the most successful Ipswich academy grads have had to leave to make it.

12 hours ago, chicken said:

Also the lesser spotted Conor Wickham... Still at Palace, I feel like he should be 47 but he's 27, 28 at the end of the month. Ryan Bennett was with them as well at one point during his youth development... A bit older but also Richard Wright.

That said, you'd expect every club to be able to turn out players. So many of those we have mentioned were discarded quite readily. Few sold on went on to bigger and better things and I am not sure stealing a wage at Crystal Palace can count either tbh.

We are lucky, our club has taken our youth system very seriously. A good supportive system not only makes better players, but gives good players a better chance of having a career in football. Folks often get wrapped up over those that are going to make the first team but often don't consider the ones that don't but still make it.

In the Championship alone I think there is quite a few players. Could we make a squad of former Norwich Youth players playing in the Championship?

CB: 
CB: 

That's about as much as I can do off the top of my head... A bit bare on CB's, I know Toffolo can play there, or at least did at youth level. Shackell is the only CB I can think of otherwise and he was last playing for Lincoln so not high enough a level.

I can't remember any youth team central defenders since Shackell - I don't really count Godfrey to be honest.

14 hours ago, chicken said:

CB: 
CB: 

Most of our young CB's haven't made the grade, Godfrey was intended to be a DM/CM.

A few of our CB's from the FA Youth cup win;

Cameron Norman (Walsall - league 2)
Ben Wyatt (Sutton united)
Kyle McFadden (Kings Lynn)

Struggling to think of any others, certainly can't recall any getting close to the first team, think we've sold a few/released players that didn't progress that far

Yeah, if we added premier league we could at least add Godfrey there and drop Mehmeti for Jacob Murphy, slide Toffolo to CB and add Lewis to LB. 

Let's not get all high and mighty. Football is a harsh sport for all youngsters. I was in the City Academy (over) 20 years ago and I entirely fell out of love of football and I was made to feel inferior because I was only 6 foot tall (as a goalkeeper). That's life, it happens up and down the country in every club.  Toughen up and move on. We are not better than them (I mean, we are clearly better than them but not in this respect).

28 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Let's not get all high and mighty. Football is a harsh sport for all youngsters. I was in the City Academy (over) 20 years ago and I entirely fell out of love of football and I was made to feel inferior because I was only 6 foot tall (as a goalkeeper). That's life, it happens up and down the country in every club.  Toughen up and move on. We are not better than them (I mean, we are clearly better than them but not in this respect).

'We are not better than them'

I dunno about that one