Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Will there ever be a United Ireland?

Brexit has certainly boosted those pro-reunification with significant numbers of protestants now feeling their future lies away from the UK.

(Re)Unification within this decade at the present rate of British decline..... Whether that’s a good thing or not I leave to others to comment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its insane that it isn't. Hopefully, the natural cause of population growth may end up solving the problem.

Reunification of yugoslavia might solve problem in this region too.   You can deliver the message in person if you want....

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Reunification of yugoslavia might solve problem in this region too.   You can deliver the message in person if you want....

I had a Croat neighbour at one time and have never known anyone to be so vitriolic about Serbs, Bosnians etc. The only unity in his house was they all agreed they hated the rest.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I had a Croat neighbour at one time and have never known anyone to be so vitriolic about Serbs, Bosnians etc. The only unity in his house was they all agreed they hated the rest.

Yugoslavia was in essence constructed by Tito and only someone of his strength of character could keep it together, so it collapsed once he died.

Because it was totally disparate he had commissioned a set of sculptures, called spomeniks, to be dotted around the country, based on pre-Christian designs, including Mayan and Sumerian works.

He knew the religious divides were such that Christian and Islamic iconography would be controversial and have different meanings for the various religio-ethnic groups.

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yugoslavia was in essence constructed by Tito and only someone of his strength of character could keep it together, so it collapsed once he died.

Because it was totally disparate he had commissioned a set of sculptures, called spomeniks, to be dotted around the country, based on pre-Christian designs, including Mayan and Sumerian works.

He knew the religious divides were such that Christian and Islamic iconography would be controversial and have different meanings for the various religio-ethnic groups.

Independent and separate Northern Ireland with communities United by the teachings of the Vedas

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The polling sure does seem to have ramped up the yes vote as years go by.

....yes, and for several different reasons but all of them pointing towards a united Ireland within a few years.

7 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Up until 1921 there was.

It was all part of the UK then though, wasn't it ?

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Cricket team as well I think.

There have been some cricketers from Ireland who have represented "England" in the past

Same with Scotland, who now also compete internationally 

Welshman Robert Croft, used to describe playing for England as like playing for the British Lions, I think

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
Added "also"

It is inevitable that Ireland re unites. They have lived together peacefully for 20 years and share some of their vital services and infrastructure already. Brexit seems to have annoyed the Unionist minority and slogans like 'we know where you live' and threats to customs and excise staff will only underline their knuckle dragging attitudes. Ireland is growing together and I hope that one day SOON  we will see unity emerge from the Emerald Isle.

Ireland is beautiful, full of ancient history and its people are great!