Sign in to follow this  
franklewi57

Josh Martin needs more playing time!

Huge fan of this lad, he looks really promising. Placheta needs to go on loan so I feel like Martin could be a bac showbox kup instead of playing in the U23s. He was great in pre-season, and to be honest I think he’s been better than Placheta despite playing very little games for the first team this season. usps tracking

Edited by franklewi57

I said at beginning of the season he'd be our break through player this season.  Ah well, there's always next season, and what better place for it to happen!

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

He is currently injured.

Which of course makes him the answer .

Unless he's  unlucky enough to be long term injured then he'll be the object of derision 

😇

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, franklewi57 said:

Huge fan of this lad, he looks really promising. Placheta needs to go on loan so I feel like Martin could be a backup instead of playing in the U23s. He was great in pre-season, and to be honest I think he’s been better than Placheta despite playing very little games for the first team this season.

But Placheta isn't playing either so I don't see why you have brought him into to your reasoning.

I think you summed it up in your opening sentance - "he looks really promising"

I agree that he does but in all honesty as we're on a run of 5 wins, have a 7 point lead and only 13 games to go, I can't see that Farke will make too many unforced changes to what he believes is his strongest starting eleven.

And rightly so because now is not the time to risk anything.

Therefore I'm afraid that even when fit, for the rest of this season Martin is going to be well down the pecking order for a start unless we have a crop of injuries.

3 hours ago, franklewi57 said:

Huge fan of this lad, he looks really promising. Placheta needs to go on loan so I feel like Martin could be a backup instead of playing in the U23s. He was great in pre-season, and to be honest I think he’s been better than Placheta despite playing very little games for the first team this season.

Josh Martin needs playing time you say.

Make him back up for the first team you say.

It's better than playing  for the U23s you say.

Can you see the flaw in your argument? 

Josh Martin has potential in abundance and it's absolutely right to champion him, but It thinkyou can't change a side in the form we are and putting big pressure on him does him no favours. 

I reckon if we get promotion wrapped up before the end of the season he'll come into the starting line up. 

u/Z_M_S - he’s not quite up to it physically for me. Maybe like Todd he flowers in the prem and then establishes himself in the team. 

5 hours ago, franklewi57 said:

I love Josh Martin, he would be in my team 

7 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Where would you play him? 

And instead of who?

Martin has potential, but is he ready to slip into a promotion chasing run-in? I'm not so sure. 

He might get some chances off the bench, but he's just coming back from an injury so there's no need to rush him. I would imagine we are far more likely to see Stiepi first

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

And instead of who?

If it was up to Mullet, Martin would be playing instead of Soto.................. 😉 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Haha 2

Players who need more game time:

Onel Hernandez

Marco Stieperman

Jordan Hugill

Kieran Dowell

Daniel Barden

Przemysław Płacheta

Bali Mumba

...and Josh Martin

54 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Players who need more game time:

Onel Hernandez

Marco Stieperman

Jordan Hugill

Kieran Dowell

Daniel Barden

Przemysław Płacheta

Bali Mumba

...and Josh Martin

And as things stand at the moment we can add Jacob Sorensen to that list.

Why Farke doesn't just sort it out and pick 22 players for every game I'll never know..........................

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And as things stand at the moment we can add Jacob Sorensen to that list.

Why Farke doesn't just sort it out and pick 22 players for every game I'll never know..........................

I did consider Jacob but didn’t include him on the list because he didn’t seem to need any time to get up to speed when he played, he was excellent straight away!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, franklewi57 said:

I am hopeful that Farke will stay with us for some time yet, but if he leaves, I’m sure your application will be considered. You clearly know everything about what goes on in training and are making an informed judgement I assume???

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I am hopeful that Farke will stay with us for some time yet, but if he leaves, I’m sure your application will be considered. You clearly know everything about what goes on in training and are making an informed judgement I assume???

...and @Commonsense has an open goal in front of him, a huge opportunity to drop the "tenure as England manager" line there as a tribute to the late Glenn Roeder...

...but he spurns it!

Too soon?

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If it was up to Mullet, Martin would be playing instead of Soto.................. 😉 

Ha Ha very funny, I'd have Martin on the left mid. Talking of Soto where he I thought he'd be terrorising defenders by now

17 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Where would you play him? 

I'd put him on the pitch somewhere maybe not in goal

32 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Ha Ha very funny, I'd have Martin on the left mid. Talking of Soto where he I thought he'd be terrorising defenders by now

Only joking Mr Mullet. And fair play to you for saying on another thread that you have been wrong about Soto. Mind you, I do think that he is a player with a lot of potential - as shown by the goals he has scored for Telstar and the USA. It is notoriously difficult for players from abroad to adapt to the pace and physicality of English football, but I think that there's every chance that he will do this in time and that then we'll have a good player on our hands. 

Obviously for one thing he's injured. When he has played I would say that he looks 'talented but raw'. 

Secondly, Farke isn't exactly reluctant to select the youff. I'm going to say that he knows better than the learned folk of this message board on these matters. 

5 hours ago, Mullet said:

I'd put him on the pitch somewhere maybe not in goal

I definitely wouldn’t play him in goal. 

Currently, I’d say he’s definitely behind Cantwell and Buendia. And Hernandez. And it seems Placheta. And injured. 

All things considered, even with Todd not fit, I wouldn’t play him. 

Certainly talented though. Hopefully his day will come. 

13 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I definitely wouldn’t play him in goal. 

Currently, I’d say he’s definitely behind Cantwell and Buendia. And Hernandez. And it seems Placheta. And injured. 

All things considered, even with Todd not fit, I wouldn’t play him. 

Certainly talented though. Hopefully his day will come. 

I would imagine if Cantwell, Hernandez and Placheta were all unavailable then we would probably see Dowell used there ahead of Martin anyway.

I think we will see Cantwell tonight anyway.

I suspect Cantwell will be at least on the bench, although Hernandez put in a decent shift setting up 2 very good chances last time out. I'm sure he'd be biting at the bit to have another go