Amanda T

Should NCFC be sold?

3 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

From the posts I’ve seen related to this subject in recent years think pretty much everyone on here wants Delia to sell, but she won’t as she wants to pass her shares on to her nephew Tom. He might sell in the future, we will just have to wait and see. If the club does eventually end up getting sold though we will need it to be bought by someone who is far more wealthy, and willing to spend their own money on the club and not make us self funded

From what I have seen, most people want the club sold to a football mad, multi-billionaire, lifelong Norwich fan with a deep understanding of the game who is in it only to build the club up to be in the higher reaches of the game whilst also keeping away those pesky glory supporters and keeping the identity of a club beloved by a small city and its immediate area.

As it is we are still waiting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'm not going to sell my share, unless I have to.  And therein lies the rub.  Whatever Smith & Jones do has to be repeated (albeit in a quasi class action type way) with several hundred other people who own the other near 40%.  Sure takeovers happen all the time in Business but usually the little shareholders aren't bothered with ending up with cash or shares in another similar entity. 

At Norwich it will cost, take time and potentially upset quite a lot of supporters who only want their part of their club.  In short, it won't lead to an immediate change in fortune, it might even set the club further back. 

But if it is what the majority want ..... 

5 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

From the posts I’ve seen related to this subject in recent years think pretty much everyone on here wants Delia to sell,- 

I don't believe that at all.

A vociferous few want Delia to sell out but I suspect most NCFC supporters are fully paid up to the self financing model and proud of what Smith and Jones have achieved which at present is doing us all very well - both the value of the club to the local community and financially to the owners.

Yes if the right buyer came along then things may change. Would you wish a Marcus Evans upon us?

NCFC is not a financial basket case or hobby as per many other clubs even in the higher tiers.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 3

If I was interested in supporting the whims of a multi-billionaire, I'd just support Chelsea or something. Personally, I find Norwich's approach much more interesting and entertaining. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I'm not going to sell my share, unless I have to.  And therein lies the rub.  Whatever Smith & Jones do has to be repeated (albeit in a quasi class action type way) with several hundred other people who own the other near 40%.  Sure takeovers happen all the time in Business but usually the little shareholders aren't bothered with ending up with cash or shares in another similar entity. 

At Norwich it will cost, take time and potentially upset quite a lot of supporters who only want their part of their club.  In short, it won't lead to an immediate change in fortune, it might even set the club further back. 

But if it is what the majority want ..... 

Don't think so. Smith and Jones hold a majority in a private company - they just have to sell it and whoever buys it then has a majority and can pretty much do what they want via EGM's. Same applies if they bequeath it to nephew Tom - though I hope they've done something to mitigate Inheritance Tax or he's going to owe HMRC quite a lot of money.....

26 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I don't believe that at all.

A vociferous few want Delia to sell out but I suspect most NCFC supporters are fully paid up to the self financing model and proud of what Smith and Jones have achieved which at present is doing us all very well - both the value of the club to the local community and financially to the owners.

Yes if the right buyer came along then things may change. Would you wish a Marcus Evans upon us?

NCFC is not a financial basket case or hobby as per many other clubs even in the higher tiers.

I'm very much in this camp. Would be nice to win a big trophy or two but the club is developing a strong identity both on and off the pitch that we can be proud of.

Perfectly happy to enjoy the ride and see if Webber and Farke can help us kick on.

12 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I need more information about the potential buyer.

No one is sure if one exists, so you may be waiting some time for info.

17 hours ago, Amanda T said:

Should NCFC be sold if we are to go up and stay up in the Premier League?

Yes, to me for £1. 

No messing about with partial shades of shadiness - has to be either Putin or Kim Jong-un

5 minutes ago, astro said:

No messing about with partial shades of shadiness - has to be either Putin or Kim Jong-un

Agreed. Should help with dodgy refereeing decisions as well as finances.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Don't think so. Smith and Jones hold a majority in a private company - they just have to sell it and whoever buys it then has a majority and can pretty much do what they want via EGM's. Same applies if they bequeath it to nephew Tom - though I hope they've done something to mitigate Inheritance Tax or he's going to owe HMRC quite a lot of money.....

I think the point Shef may be making is that if Smith and Jones sell their stake then the buyer has to offer to buy everyone else's shares, and at the price paid to S&J. This also applies if the potential buyer purchases enough of the minority holdings to get to about 30 per cent of the total. Whatever top price they paid would have to be offered to S&J.

• Like 1

Amazes me people still think this.

Seasons are finite, but hopefully NCFC is around long after we are all dead.

The chances of having an owner that actually cares about the long term health of the club over short term ambition is pretty slim. 

We have them and plenty of other clubs who went with the “rich investors” are jealous of us.

People always only look at those investors who are successful, but even with those there aren’t many examples of rich owners still pumping millions down the drain into football clubs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Selling your club to Russian oligarchs wanted for war crimes and Far East conglomerates who have gone bankrupt 6 times already is so 10 years ago

I don’t think we should settle for any less than:

> An African warlord with child slave soldiers

> A high up official in a country that isn’t recognised by the UN

> Somalian Pirates

> Caribbean Pirates

> The Actual Vladimir Putin (that’d be wild!)

> The Sinaloa Mexican drug cartel

> The Ghost of Genghis Kahn

Anything less just isn’t going to get us the ‘Gram followers we require, and let’s face it, that’s what modern football is all about.

This is one of your best.

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That’s kinda what I was alluding to 😃

Cool! For a second I thought I was dealing with  a resident of Thickston Avenue.  👍👍👍👍. My fault for not smelling the  Coffeee, bit distracted  lately.  Apologies. 

• Like 1

Alan Bowkett.....

"'Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones are the best owners in football. No doubt. They've given this club millions and millions over the years when we truly needed some help. So we should never forget their contribution. It's extraordinary."

If they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me.

7 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

All I’m saying is let’s get ourselves a proper villain. Why limit yourself to the usual “fraud” and “embezzlement” let’s have some war crimes! Some genocide! Let’s get the penguin from the batman comics or something!

Why limit ourselves to criminals from this planet? Maybe there’s a galactic crime syndicate looking to invest. let’s get out there and have a look at what we can find! 

I hear Zaphod Beeblebrox is looking for a new gig. He's just this guy ...

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I hear Zaphod Beeblebrox is looking for a new gig. He's just this guy ...

If only Harold Shipman was still about...

why aren’t we Shipman?

If Delia had billions, this subject would never be broached. 

Delia and MWJ have given time, money, blood, sweat and tears for this club. They've made their mistakes - but they have taken us from a club about to go bust to a club about to be promoted again (the fourth time in their time at the club?) to the Premier League, relatively debt free with a squad arguably with more talent than ever before. 

No one wants or should want them to sell. And they would be absolutely right to set high standards that a potential new owner would need to satisfy to get them to the table. 

My only criticism is I suspect they would not sell the club in any circumstance, and if that is the position then this is wrong. If the right buyer comes along, they should sell. 

The truth of the matter is, if and when Delia and MWJ leave this club, they (and Justin Fashanu in my opinion) should have a statue made in their honour. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think the point Shef may be making is that if Smith and Jones sell their stake then the buyer has to offer to buy everyone else's shares, and at the price paid to S&J. This also applies if the potential buyer purchases enough of the minority holdings to get to about 30 per cent of the total. Whatever top price they paid would have to be offered to S&J.

But it wouldn't matter if Shef and any others declined the offer as the buyer would still have a majority, so wouldn't care; so I'm still confused by what point Shef is actually making.

One point I think is sometimes slightly ignored about having less wealthy owners is that they have to take it seriously. They can't actually afford not to. When mistakes were made, like the relegation to league one or the relegation from the premiership with few assets and a high wage bill, the owners have made big changes to the structure of the club. It has to be said that both those were successful and the current model based on bringing in Webber was clearly a brave move, especially as the quickly noticed that his predecessor offered nothing and rectified it.

Part of that is because they love the club, but part of it is because it is their main financial asset and they know that it's adapt or die. Big money owners often just keep pumping money into broken systems, look at Sunderland under Ellis, or even Ipswich under Evans. Finally when this fails, they get bored and just take the loss leaving a massive mess behind.

That's not an option for our owners and it actually can make them a lot more dynamic.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

All I’m saying is let’s get ourselves a proper villain. Why limit yourself to the usual “fraud” and “embezzlement” let’s have some war crimes! Some genocide! Let’s get the penguin from the batman comics or something!

Why limit ourselves to criminals from this planet? Maybe there’s a galactic crime syndicate looking to invest. let’s get out there and have a look at what we can find! 

Ming the Merciless?

13 hours ago, sgncfc said:

But it wouldn't matter if Shef and any others declined the offer as the buyer would still have a majority, so wouldn't care; so I'm still confused by what point Shef is actually making.

Again I don't know if this is Shef's point, but over the years there have been many posts saying if S&J really love Norwich City and want the best for it they should sell their shares for a nominal sum - 10p a share or perhaps £1 at most - so the new owner has more money available for developing the club.

Which might be fine as far as S&J are concerned, but means fans who paid £25 or even £30 per share will get 10p or £1 if they sell. Of course most fans (myself included) didn't buy for gain, but you cannot assume that is true for all. And if the new owner reached a 90 per cent holding then they would have to buy the other 10 per cent irrespective of whether those fans wanted to sell.

On 01/03/2021 at 10:20, keelansgrandad said:

Don't forget Delia has blood on her hands.

How many chickens would still be alive if she hadn't told the world how to boil an egg?

How many insects would still be alive in corn fields just to make flour for victoria sponges.

I am alive and perfectly well thank you very much! 

3 hours ago, chicken said:

I am alive and perfectly well thank you very much! 

Could you please enlighten us as to why you crossed the road and also inform us whether you came before or after the egg? Thank you. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Could you please enlighten us as to why you crossed the road and also inform us whether you came before or after the egg? Thank you. 

Well, I came from an egg... but then so did all of my ancestors... I think Easter may have had something to do with it. Easter always happened right? It's a pagan festival full of pagan symbolism so I am saying mother earth birthed the first egg. So the egg came first.

How is one meant to get chicken feed without crossing the road?