Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

Glenn Roeder

14 minutes ago, daisy said:

Simply answering to the above, before today most of you couldn`t care less about the guy, now all of a sudden many of you respect him. Be honest with yourselves.

our thoughts before today were reflecting on his 14 months managing our team. 

Our thoughts after today are reflecting on his passing at a young age, and leaving being a young family etc. 

Is it that hard to understand? 

If you cant anything nice, then dont say anything at all is usually a good rule. 

• Like 4

I know every club has them, but we really do have some pr!cks amongst us here.

RIP to an actual human being, and one who seemed a real decent one at that.

Thank you for Wes.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

16 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I hope your funeral is handled with a similar degree of class, please put my name down for delivering your eulogy.

Stop wetting your pants, oh and Maradona was a cheat, do you struggle with the truth ?

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You think vile is an appropriate word? We are all hypocrites in some way so that is hardly an insult. But vile is OTT.

I think there is a lot of re-writing of history on this thread. 

6 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

Glen Roeder and George Floyd have given so much to English football - May they both rest in peace 

What does that even mean? 

• Like 1

Glenn is a part of the Norwich City story, not a memorable chapter maybe but a big part of the Norwich city anime that plays out and will continue to play out into the future. I’m sad he’s passed away at an age that these days certainly is young. When somebody as significant as he was to the Norwich City story passes it’s a sad time. The reason we are the team we are is directly linked to his influence, positively or negatively.

Rest in Peace Mister Roeder

1 hour ago, king canary said:

The average life expectancy in the UK is 81. So probably then.

78 for a male I think, which means for every man you have live to 91 you would expect one to die at 65.  

50 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Thats slightly harsh.

We should remember that he took over a disastrous spell from Peter Grant and a team incredibly low on morale and steadied the ship in his first season here including a 14 game unbeaten run. In that first season he brought in some decent loan signings as well as a good coach in Lee Clark to steer us clear to safety.

Yeah, I'm always surprised how much of free pass Peter Grant gets in the history of the club. Roeder really dug us out of a hole in his first season.

One of the least popular managers, and maybe remembered by many for some the way he treated Huckerby. But I often wondered if his tumour affected his personality and  behaviour at times,a tumour on the brain must have some impact on a person and towards to end he was under alot of pressure with us too.

The vast majority in football held him in high regard so hope that's how he has remembered.

Had a brain tumour around 13 years ago 

and fought back to carry on in football.  

Glenn was a true gentleman I met him at work once after he left city , he said he did his best also while at city he wrote personally to me after he found out I was seriously ill and encouraged me to get better . Not the best manager but a gentleman RIP 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pukki Blinders said:

I'm pretty sure the 2-0 win against Ipswich, where Lee Croft scored a screamer and Matty Pattison also smashed one in near the end was under Roeder off the top of my head. It was my first East Anglian derby so I certainly have good memories of that game!

Correct. As most have said, Roeder had an abrasive man management style and the reaction of players when he left told it's own story. That said, his early months here were good, in fact better than 'good'.  As has been noted he was also the manager who secured one of the finest players ever to pull on the yellow shirt and for that we will / should be eternally grateful. I remember that appalling abuse he suffered from some so called West Ham 'fans', it was as despicable as it gets. He must have suffered for years which is something I would not wish on anyone. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Yeah, I'm always surprised how much of free pass Peter Grant gets in the history of the club. Roeder really dug us out of a hole in his first season.

After saving us from relegation Roeder was expecting a transfer kitty to have a bit of a rebuild, the £2m that the Turner's promised the club was to be this transfer kitty. I mean its not huge money, but 4 x £500k players is at least something to work with.

After the Turner's pulled their investment he was left with nothing much at all to play with.

The decision to release Huckerby (which in turn led to Dublin not fancying another year) would have been made with the understanding that he'd have some fresh faces incoming. 

That's what went wrong under Roeder. 

No age to die, hes lost about 15 years at least of what I'd consider a full life.

That said it doesn't change what he was at Norwich City - A dreadful spiteful manager with equally bad people skills, no surprise it was his last managerial role.

Edited by kingsway

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

And yet you felt it appropriate to do exactly the same... 

"Not a big fan of his by any stretch"

What a vile hipocrite you are. 

That's quite probably the worst thing I've ever read on this forum. Let me divulge a secret to you. I met this so called 'hypocrite' several times abut ten years back and occasionally bump into him more recently. He is one of the most gracious guys you will ever come across. You might wish to reconsider your description. May I also politely point out that you could not even spell the word correctly.  

57 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Peter Grant was a poor manager but at least he had the decency to hold his hands up, admit it and fall on his sword unlike his successor.

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

I seem to remember that he'd been diagnosed with a tumour, & operated on, before he arrived here. I also seem to remember it being said that his character had been affected by his condition. Worth bearing in mind when you judge him.

R.I.P. Glenn

Yes, I was going to write the same.  Did well to get back in to football at all. Maybe couldn't handle things that well as a result of his condition and with the pressure to suucced that there is at Norwich, but the lack of money was a big factor too.

• Like 1

We all had a view of Glen, he came back from ill health in an amazing way but finally his body surcomed, RIP

I think any normal person will say that its unfortunate and sad hes passed away at a very early age but equally most Norwich fans around at that time will also say he was a poor manager for the Canaries with an abrupt, unfortunate personality which may of been due to his tumour issues.  

Edited by kingsway

4 hours ago, daisy said:

Sorry, can't remember anything good about his time here. 

Sometimes its best to say nothing, than be thought of as a twut 

Edited by City fan
Typos

5 minutes ago, City fan said:

Sometimes its best to say nothing, than be thought of as a twut 

Thank you for the kind words. 

2 hours ago, daisy said:

Simply answering to the above, before today most of you couldn`t care less about the guy, now all of a sudden many of you respect him. Be honest with yourselves.

Have some respect, numpty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What does that even mean? 

It means both men were highly regarded and deserve to rest in peace - What do you mean exactly with your racist comment?