Sign in to follow this  
NeymarSmith

Some thoughts on the men in yellow and green

Mario playing well. Again this is a game he has started and had a positive impact on. I'd like to just raise the point of how many of us / where did the rumour come from that mario is no longer fit to start games and finish them?

Same I suppose with tettey a couple seasons ago (or AN first season) that he couldn't play two games a week. If feel if skipp got injured tettey would be a more than able replacement (defensive wise only)

My next thought is how is the general feeling of giannoulis? Step up, equal to, or not as good as Xavi Quintilla? Fitness put aside  From my point, his pace makes him more similar to Jamal Lewis and although Quintilla undoubtedly had a lovely delivery, I doubted his defensive capability. Giannoulis seems steady in defensive (bar that back pass but hey) and has a decent ball on him. Do we think he is the right man to take that spot, or would prefer we roll the dice again or for Xavi? Having said that, Xavi is a dirt cheap option isn't he? So would you make it permanent anyhow, just for cover? What about McCallum for next year too?

My final though is, how does everyone see idah? Suitable no.2 to pukki? Or is that Hugill? Who personally I see as a plan b rather than no.2 to pukki. Would he benefit to leave next year for a little loan or?

Sorry for the ramble, I'm adjusting to watching Norwich alone (my father past in January) and I've had a couple glasses of port today....

Firstly, really sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine coming up on 3 years ago and still go to reflexively text him during a Norwich game.

Personally for more Giannoulis is a big step up on Quntilla in terms of his defensive ability and physicality. Much more balanced with him over Sorenson too.

• Thanks 1

I'd take Giannoulis every time. Just better all over except for set-pieces. McCallum seems to have done well at Coventry so will probably get the pre-season to see if he's capable of being a back-up/rotation option. Send Quintilla back to Spain. He's a decent player, but we could use a couple more home-growns.

On Idah- its really difficult to tell when you only see him in 5/10 minute spells. Gut instinct is he could do with a season on loan to get used to playing week in week out but I thought the same about Todd when we went up last time and look how that worked out...

Mario only got better when he dropped deeper, which is not where Farke has played him (preferring Skipp/McLean/Rupp/Sorensen). In the 10 position he look finished and he’s unlikely to play deep lying mid next season.

So let’s enjoy him while we have him the rest of this season but I don’t expect him here next. 

I think we all love Vrancic - he's given us some glorious moments over the years and is a classy player. I think there is a debate about how best to use him. He's not really defensively strong enough to be a cm (in the Prem, imo), yet he doesn't score/assist enough as a number 10. I personally don't get the 'his legs have gone' argument either because that's not his game. Pace has never been an attribute that he relies on. Same with Tettey. I personally think that he is most effective as a super sub. That's when he seems to produce his moments of magic.

Quintilla is a decent player but his greatest attribute is pinging in a peach of a cross. Unfortunately that's useless when we start Teemu Pukki as a lone front man. Giannoulis seems a better fit for our style of play and is much more similar to Jamal Lewis as a full back. It's early days for him but he's definitely improved after every game. 

Sam McCullum seems to be doing pretty well at Coventry, and got a few mentions in yesterday's match report. Whether he's ready for the Premier League is another matter. I doubt we'll buy Quintilla at the end of the season so there could be a place in the squad for him. I doubt they'd block his pathway.

Idah looks full of potential but just needs game time in order to aid his development. A lack of a proven PL goalscorer to back up Pukki is a concern for me, if we get promoted. You'd wonder if it would be best for all parties if he did a Skipp and went on loan to get a full Championship season under his belt. That would then allow us to bring in the more experienced option that we lacked last time.

Vrancic is a player you want in the team but where.

He drops too deep at times as a 10 and I'm not sure he has the athleticism or nous to get past defenders.

I think Marmite Kenny is better than him at driving on from holding midfield.

So is he a starter or impact sub?