Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Wycombe*****

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

While at the time, 2018-19 was probably our best ever season - all those late goals and high scoring games made for fantastic entertainment - we are, by any objective measure, a far better team today. The balance between attack and defence is so much better. We're controlling games and shutting teams out.

I think a massive factor is that we're not able to see it in the flesh so we're not able to enjoy it as much this time round. For me, this is the best I've ever seen Norwich play.

I'm not convinced that we are better. I think we definitely defend better.

I think the problem this season is the 10. Stiepermann played that position well and scored 12 goals. And Pukki benefitted from that. We bought Dowell for that but for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out so far. And I don't feel Vrancic is the answer.

I have never been convinced that possession necessarily makes you a better team. I would expect that Hanley has made more passes than any midfield player or striker for instance.

I do think we are the best team in the league however I am also not convinced the Championship is as strong this season.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think it only becomes a problem when the ball bounces. He doesn't judge them well. 

A couple today were coming through the air but maybe it was the sun in his eyes and lack of experience of the hoofed ball this season.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm not convinced that we are better. I think we definitely defend better.

I think the problem this season is the 10. Stiepermann played that position well and scored 12 goals. And Pukki benefitted from that. We bought Dowell for that but for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out so far. And I don't feel Vrancic is the answer.

I have never been convinced that possession necessarily makes you a better team. I would expect that Hanley has made more passes than any midfield player or striker for instance.

I do think we are the best team in the league however I am also not convinced the Championship is as strong this season.

We all see things differently. In my opinion this is the strongest top 6 I've ever seen at this level. We're creating more chances than anyone, we're just not taking them. I agree that 10 is our weakest position and, although I didn't especially rate Stiepermann, he did make things happen.

Cantwell is a massive improvement and Skipp is the best DM we've had in my time as a supporter. The defence is working well as a unit and we are simply further ahead in our evolution. Time will tell how effective we will be back in the prem, but I genuinely think we'll stand a better chance this time.

4 hours ago, WD40 said:

Yep fine to look at stats, but Hanley does have an issue reading the flight of the ball and those misses lead to decent chances. Similar happened last week leading to the goal, and a goal we conceded against Rotherham earlier in the season where it bounced past him. Gets caught flat footed a bit.

Fair play he’s cemented his place in the team after not playing much in title season or prem season. 

The last 5 games have seen us win 15pts with three clean sheets and a combined tally of 12-2....I can’t for the life of me work out which of the 2 you’re blaming Hanley for but the stats aren’t at all bad.

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The last 5 games have seen us win 15pts with three clean sheets and a combined tally of 12-2....I can’t for the life of me work out which of the 2 you’re blaming Hanley for but the stats aren’t at all bad.

We’re talking about his difficulty to read the movement of the ball. Against Birmingham there was a catalogue of errors that lead to their goal, one of them in there was a pass directed at Hanley that he couldn’t read and the player stole in. Home fixture against Rotherham ball bounced straight past him.

He’s been solid for sure, just saying that’s an aspect he has struggled with. 

Oh, ok - that’s the first time I‘ve seen Hanley blamed for the Brum goal, there were 3-4 errors in there.  Of course he’s not perfect and does occasionally misread the flight/bounce (it was a criticism of him from Newcastle fans when we signed him), but he’s been pretty solid this season.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh, ok - that’s the first time I‘ve seen Hanley blamed for the Brum goal, there were 3-4 errors in there.  Of course he’s not perfect and does occasionally misread the flight/bounce (it was a criticism of him from Newcastle fans when we signed him), but he’s been pretty solid this season.

As I said, catalogue of errors for brum goal - one of them being Hanleys read of the pass.

Formed a good partnership with Gibson which I’d love to see taken to the next level in the prem, let’s not forget they are being protected better by the excellent Skipp.  Feel we need another quality addition there to push them both and make sure we have someone that can do a similar job to Skipp when he leaves us.