TheGunnShow

Hypothesis - if we don't get Skipp...

Regarding Sorensen, Farke doesn't feel he's worth starting in the Championship, yet some of you think he's going to be first name on the sheet in the Premier League?

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Regarding Sorensen, Farke doesn't feel he's worth starting in the Championship, yet some of you think he's going to be first name on the sheet in the Premier League?

🤷‍♂️

Cantwell 2 seasons ago?

2 hours ago, repman said:

Sorensen moved into that position when we were looking for a goal against Sheff Wed I believe, and looked incredibly comfortable doing so. However in regards to receiving the ball at left back, I always though he looked fine receiving it, it was more the fact that struggled to play with his body facing forward, which is understandable given he is right footed and something most full backs on the wrong side struggle with. Its just a body shape thing though, nothing to worry about (for the same reason that Hanley will always go to the left of the 2 CB's when Zimmermann plays)

Not quite as simple as that I'm afraid, this seems like a similar argument to those that thought Mumba's 13 minutes of inspiration put £20m on his value.....

Looking 'incredibly comfortable' for a few minutes versus Sheffield Wed doesn't make him a 'player'.    To argue these points without some consistent performances over a sustained period is naive!     

As for receiving the ball, its a different ball game in the middle of the park, completely.  Body shape is a necessary part of the process, granted.  You also need timing of movement into the space, whilst looking what's around you, what's behind you, whose closing you down, calculating where you are controlling it, back foot on turn, (body shape) etc. where are you passing it next.... a lot more instinctive decisions are required.    McLean, Tettey, Leitner, Trybull, Amadou, none of them could do it well enough last year, why do so many fans think Sorensen is the answer next season?    Lets hope he is but as yet, absolutely no evidence that he can and its a big ask to expect it!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

Skipp as been great for us. 

But I think some are overestimating his worth to Spurs and his worth in the transfer market. 

There's no way Skipp goes back to Spurs and becomes an instant starter, not with the current options they have and not with the likelihood of them recruiting in that area. 

Nor can that ask for a real premium for a lad who's had one years experience in the Championship. 

• Like 2

This is the Skipp who was described as a future Spurs captain and who was due to be recalled in January but allowed to remain due to his excellent progress at Norwich. Look, I want him to stay with us next season but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

This is the Skipp who was described as a future Spurs captain and who was due to be recalled in January 

That's just the usual sorta stuff that gets said about decent prospects.

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

This is the Skipp who was described as a future Spurs captain and who was due to be recalled in January but allowed to remain due to his excellent progress at Norwich. Look, I want him to stay with us next season but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Virtue signalling by Jose.

On 28/02/2021 at 09:33, Yellow and Green said:

Assuming we go up, I think it would be 50/50 whether Spurs let him go or not.

A full season at PL level would be great for Skipp and I'm sure he would want to avoid a bit part role. They may even miss out on the Europa League spot so they won't need a big squad. They currently have Hojberg, Ndombele, Sissoko, Winks and Dier in centre mid... would they really need a sixth?

If we can't re-sign him, I could see them going with Sorensen and Tettey to be our two CDMs. Farke speaks pretty highly of Sorensen and Tettey would provide experienced cover. Would a midfield pairing of McLean and Sorensen be good enough to survive in the PL? Hmmm.... not confident.

It would be great for Sorensen to get a run in the team at cdm but Skipp has been excellent, injury free and we don't need/want to play with two defensive players there. 

Tettey! 😂  Thanks for the laugh.

Lewis O'Brien if we can't loan Skipp for another season. 

CDM needs at least two players as it is a role that is prone to cards and injuries.

Sorensen is the other option. 

Skipp is a conundrum, if Spurs are to let him go at what price ?

I think its inevitable that Max will leave us for a bigger stage, so would you do a player plus cash swap with Spurs say Skipp and £10m for Max, my thinking is that a right wing back might be an easier replacement to find, just thinking out loud.

On 01/03/2021 at 09:36, CDMullins said:

But I think some are overestimating his worth to Spurs and his worth in the transfer market. 

There's no way Skipp goes back to Spurs and becomes an instant starter, not with the current options they have and not with the likelihood of them recruiting in that area. 

Nor can that ask for a real premium for a lad who's had one years experience in the Championship. 

This is akin to what happened with Angus Gunn. Southampton paid £10m to Man City for him, after his fine season with Norwich in the Championship.

If Norwich want Skipp, put an offer on the table, Skipp will get a season of Premier League starts at Norwich, which he and his agent knows he won't get with Spurs. 

Premier League appearances are currency too. 

On 01/03/2021 at 11:25, CDMullins said:

Virtue signalling by Jose.

Flexing more like.

He was just swinging his d1ck around the place.

On 28/02/2021 at 22:14, Number9 said:

🤷‍♂️

only because we have Skipp who has that spot nailed down. I reckon we'll see Sorenson given a go in the middle before long, we have a busy 2 months ahead

12 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

only because we have Skipp who has that spot nailed down. I reckon we'll see Sorenson given a go in the middle before long, we have a busy 2 months ahead

So he's not good enough (in Farkes opinion) for the Championship now, but in 12 games time he will be good enough for the Premier League?

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

So he's not good enough (in Farkes opinion) for the Championship now, but in 12 games time he will be good enough for the Premier League?

Just because Farke isn't playing a player right now doesn't mean he doesn't think they're good enough for the Championship..

There is no hypothesis.

We won’t get Skipp.

Skipp is undoubtedly the biggest reason why the defence is conceding fewer goals.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 09:36, CDMullins said:

I don't think his worth is being overestimated- I think a few factors are at play here....

1. Youth- he's only 20 and has shown a lot of talent
  2. Home grown- English players will sell at a premium with the new rules post Brexit
  3. He's under contract for another 3 years
  4. Spurs may need to cut costs and Skipp would be a good, homegrown talent on relatively cheap contract
  5. The market was set somewhat by Liverpool selling Brewster for £24m

So right now we might not want to pay £20-30m for a player who has barely kicked a ball in the top flight but Spurs may not feel the need to sell him for any less than that at a minimum. 

On 01/03/2021 at 09:53, The Bristol Nest said:

Rumours do take a life of their own don't they? Skipp was never 'due to be recalled' Mourhinho just mentioned that he could recall him. I get the sense he was bigging him up but I never got the idea that a recall was close to happening. 

7 hours ago, Number9 said:

or he is good enough but Skipp is more proven/better.

Being compared to Skipp leaves a lot of room for ability. The guy is already prem quality and will be starting for Spurs next season.