TheGunnShow

Hypothesis - if we don't get Skipp...

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Give him a break everyone. If you think of him like the puppy of the forum, massively over-enthusiastic but wanting to join in with everything, it might make him easier to cope with? There are far more irritating people on here.

I've got no probs with Cambridgeo... he normally takes all the friendly flak on the chin with a smile. He also saves anyone from ever having to look elsewhere  for city news. He's  like our own personal Newsnow correspondent. 

• Like 1

Surely we have to look after our own house!   
Spurs may loan Skipp out next season, but if the likes of Leeds or Southampton come asking, they are more likely to push him in the direction of a likely mid-table team and not to one that’s going to struggle (which sadly looks like us given what we will go up with).   
Be very surprised if we get Skipp again, especially if we lose Aaron’s and Buendia....he won’t be confident in the project!

What do we need in midfield?   Pace, power, agility and above all, players that can find the space to receive on the turn and develop the play plus DO WHAT SKIPP DOES..... we had none of that last time, our CDM was completely ineffective so McLean and Rupp could surely only be 4th and 5th backup.    Tettey isn’t good enough... so we need at least 3 players better than McLean and Rupp.    Sorensen may be one of the 3 but to suggest he will be one before he’s even played CDM consistently at this level is absolutely ridiculous!    We can’t rely on Skipp!   

As a developing club, what are we actually developing for next season at present?    Skipp for Spurs, perhaps Platcheta, Famewo.      We aren’t developing Sorensen, nor Idah, nor Martin, Dowell or Omobamidele.

On the evidence available promotion is likely too soon for us.    As competent EPL starters we have Krul, Aaron’s (likely gone), Gibson, Giannoulis, McCallum  B (backup), Mumba B, Cantwell, Buendia (likely gone), Hernandez, Pukki and Idah B.   We have no idea with Sorensen!   There is nothing else Platcheta B perhaps. Martin needs games to develop.... Hernandez in because he’s been there before and performed well at the back end of last season.   Not enough.

Rupp and McLean simply don’t have the tools for CDM in the Premier League!    The scouts and the money will be needed but the problem then comes with incorporating so many players into a system quickly... it rarely works!   

But let’s get there first and worry later!

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's the point of the thread. I think it's widely accepted that we know that, which raises the question of what happens afterwards.

Unless it’s a further season loan in PL to the benefit of all.

1 minute ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Unless it’s a further season loan in PL to the benefit of all.

My thoughts entirely..... a season in the Prem with us would give Skippo a lot of practice  at what he does...that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Sorensen is a terrific player, but he's a Bobby Moore when what we need is a Nobby Stiles.

Shave part of his head??

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I agree, personally don't have a problem with new posts but all these new American phrases that are now used drive me crazy.

My daughter used 'my bad' the other day, so I asked her bad what 🤷🏻‍♂️

The constant use of the word "like" at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of sentences, serving no grammatical purpose boils my potato!

Edited by paddycanary
  • Like 1

The Catch 22 is that we can't see who could replace Skipp as Skipp is too good to replace at the moment. Sorensen has been good and was unfortunate to be left out of the team but I doubt we'll get to see him tried out there this season.

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

The Catch 22 is that we can't see who could replace Skipp as Skipp is too good to replace at the moment. Sorensen has been good and was unfortunate to be left out of the team but I doubt we'll get to see him tried out there this season.

Once we've got 90 points Farke will experiment 😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Agreed but that is Herr Farke's failing in not using his squad. Too many players kick their heels on the bench for months despite the Head Coach hyping them up as having ............'unbelievable quality'. Sorenson now joins Idah and Dowell in that particular category unfortunately. What is even more unfortunate / annoying is that such players are now being openly dismissed by many fans as 'not up to it' or 'we've seen nothing from them'  when the truth is they have been largely ignored.   

9 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Once we've got 90 points Farke will experiment 😉

he didn't last year when we were dooommmmeddddd!   Kept playing Drmic instead of Idah and Martin for starters!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

I think people also slightly underestimate how many variables there are at a club like Spurs when suggesting Skipp definitely jumps straight into their team.

Right now they've got manager with a reputation for not trusting young players, Ndombele, Hjoberg, Winks and Sissoko all there and the potential for them to sign another player at any point. Add in the fact Mourinho might be sacked and a new voice maybe wanting his own players coming in and its far from certain that Skipp gets straight in

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

The constant use of the word "like" at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of sentences, serving no grammatical purpose boils my potato!

Like, yeah, y'know, that really hacks me off, like. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orly said:

Skipp's carrying of the ball / dribbling is premier league quality.  But as you point out, it's his forward passing that is sub-par (for the premier).  **Holds wet finger in air** I would say it's average champ quality at the moment.

Sorenson's passing however is better in both technique and vision.  Problem is, if this was Football Manager 2021, Sorenson's pace / acceleration would be like 5/20, 2/20 respectively, meaning it's more likely he'd be playing a deep lying playmaker role with Kenny / Rupp, instead of Skpp's Anchor / holding role, which only Tettey currently vies for.

I'm not convinced Sorensen is that much slower to be honest! He just looks languid, but seems to cover the ground at a fair old rate.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm not convinced Sorensen is that much slower to be honest! He just looks languid, but seems to cover the ground at a fair old rate.

Yeah I agree, Sorenson isn't rapid but he isn't that slow!

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I agree, Sorenson isn't rapid but he isn't that slow!

Skipp flies around like a one-man angry swarm of hornets. Sorensen just latches on like a Labrador. He just seems to find you.

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Skipp flies around like a one-man angry swarm of hornets. Sorensen just latches on like a Labrador. He just seems to find you.

How can anyone compare Skipp and Sorensen when Sorensen has had literally no proper game time in central midfield..... surely its all conjecture.    We will only be able to give a view when he plays in midfield regularly......   the idea that he can be compared based on his LB work is fanciful surely, there is not enough evidence to base it on.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

How can anyone compare Skipp and Sorensen when Sorensen has had literally no proper game time in central midfield..... surely its all conjecture.    We will only be able to give a view when he plays in midfield regularly......   the idea that he can be compared based on his LB work is fanciful surely, there is not enough evidence to base it on.   

That was my point initially regarding overall form, but we're looking at their behaviour when in the tackle / chasing an opponent with the ball. Seen plenty of that from Sorensen at left-back.

You're not comparing their positions here, just one aspect of how they tend to play. 

I'm not so sure Skipp will feature for Tottenham. I agree we won't be able to permanently sign him. But it is great progression for him if he played most weeks in the Prem and i can't see him doing that for Tottenham.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That was my point initially regarding overall form, but we're looking at their behaviour when in the tackle / chasing an opponent with the ball. Seen plenty of that from Sorensen at left-back.

You're not comparing their positions here, just one aspect of how they tend to play. 

But the thread is about without Skipp.   Receiving the ball at left back is massively different to at CDM where there’s little space and you have to be on the turn and aware of what’s around from all angles!   We have no idea if he can do that.... at EPL level, McLean, Tettey etc.... couldn’t!   We’ve no idea if Sorensen can do it at EFL level yet!     

8 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Our first choice defensive midfielder will be crucial to our survival chances if we go up. 

Skipp nearly returned to Spurs in January therefore is unlikely to be available on loan next season. 

If not Sorenson then who?

Do we know he nearly went back in January ?

I'm not overly convinced Sorenson has the build for CDM  in England . Would love Skipp for another year but a loan is the most we can hope for.

Definitely need cover there, but the only name I can think of as a realistic target would be Harrison Reed at Fulham.  When I have seen Fulham he has played well.

Thinking back to summer, Ethan Ampadu was on our list before prem interest ended that... perhaps he's one we could go back for? After a slow start at Sheff Utd he sounds like he's found his feet now

Petty arguments aside. If we go up, how much do we think it will take to buy him? 

I will go against the grain. I think spurs will sell at a price. I don't see him in their plans. 

9 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Petty arguments aside. If we go up, how much do we think it will take to buy him? 

I will go against the grain. I think spurs will sell at a price. I don't see him in their plans. 

I hope you are right

11 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Maybe in a couple of seasons if he doesn't kick on but he's got another 3 years on his Spurs deal, they've got no need to sell right now.

7 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

But the thread is about without Skipp.   Receiving the ball at left back is massively different to at CDM where there’s little space and you have to be on the turn and aware of what’s around from all angles!   We have no idea if he can do that.... at EPL level, McLean, Tettey etc.... couldn’t!   We’ve no idea if Sorensen can do it at EFL level yet!     

Sorensen moved into that position when we were looking for a goal against Sheff Wed I believe, and looked incredibly comfortable doing so. However in regards to receiving the ball at left back, I always though he looked fine receiving it, it was more the fact that struggled to play with his body facing forward, which is understandable given he is right footed and something most full backs on the wrong side struggle with. Its just a body shape thing though, nothing to worry about (for the same reason that Hanley will always go to the left of the 2 CB's when Zimmermann plays)

Skipp has a good season on loan at Norwich, they win the Championship. 

Therefore Skipps value increases. 

He has more experience should the Spurs manager wish to have him in the squad. 

Should he get sent out on loan it will be to a higher level club for a far greater fee.

Should he be sold it will be for a significantly higher amount. 

Daniel doesn't give things away.