TheGunnShow

Hypothesis - if we don't get Skipp...

I'll start off with a disclaimer, namely this is transposing some performances from a different position, looking at the skillset he has exhibited when playing there. We'll only know for definite when / if he gets a run of games. With that, off to what I wanted to cover.

We're all pretty much in unison that Skipp has been excellent for us this season and is deservedly in the running for POTY. Sure, he may not be too accurate on forward passes on occasion, but in terms of being a screen in front of the back four, or being diligent watching for an overlapping full-back so he can just take up their space to keep shape, he's played with a focus and maturity far beyond his years and been a key part of our new-found defensive resilience this season. However, he might well get into the Spurs set-up next season, and there's no chance we could afford him.

I just happen to think that his successor is already in the building. He looks like he'll play that role slightly differently - maybe a shade less aggressive than Skipp, but more effective in turnovers as he looks a better dribbler and he certainly looks like he can hit dangerous forward balls (as he showed against Bristol with an assist from the deep).

For what it's worth, I think it's Sorensen, but we could do with finding out soon enough!

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'll start off with a disclaimer, namely this is transposing some performances from a different position, looking at the skillset he has exhibited when playing there. We'll only know for definite when / if he gets a run of games. With that, off to what I wanted to cover.

We're all pretty much in unison that Skipp has been excellent for us this season and is deservedly in the running for POTY. Sure, he may not be too accurate on forward passes on occasion, but in terms of being a screen in front of the back four, or being diligent watching for an overlapping full-back so he can just take up their space to keep shape, he's played with a focus and maturity far beyond his years and been a key part of our new-found defensive resilience this season. However, he might well get into the Spurs set-up next season, and there's no chance we could afford him.

I just happen to think that his successor is already in the building. He looks like he'll play that role slightly differently - maybe a shade less aggressive than Skipp, but more effective in turnovers as he looks a better dribbler and he certainly looks like he can hit dangerous forward balls (as he showed against Bristol with an assist from the deep).

For what it's worth, I think it's Sorensen, but we could do with finding out soon enough!

I agree with the idea, worryingly Farke has not tried it yet.  So i assume there is some reason he does not think it will work.  Right now if we go up I think we need a significant overhaul in midfield, and that is a lot of change for one transfer window.

We won't get Skipp so stop asking.

Even if we did have a chance of buying him, he's English, young, talented and belongs to Spurs, a club that will want to keep him.

So no way are we paying what they would ask,over 30million, for him. We would never spend that much on a single player.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

That's the point of the thread. I think it's widely accepted that we know that, which raises the question of what happens afterwards.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's the point of the thread. I think it's widely accepted that we know that, which raises the question of what happens afterwards.

I think Cambridgeo is just  miffed that  he didn't think of this particular thread subject.

Must try harder CC 😇

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Even if we did have a chance of buying him, he's English, young, talented and belongs to Spurs, a club that will want to keep him.

So no way are we paying what they would ask,over 30million, for him. We would never spend that much on a single player.

I dont think anyone has ever suggested we'll be able to buy him, just another loan may be possible. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He could be, we just don't know right now.

Even if he is though we still need competition for that place- Tettey is basically a cheerleader/coach at this point.

Our first choice defensive midfielder will be crucial to our survival chances if we go up. 

Skipp nearly returned to Spurs in January therefore is unlikely to be available on loan next season. 

If not Sorenson then who?

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I dont think anyone has ever suggested we'll be able to buy him, just another loan may be possible. 

No harm trying to buy or (re) loan. He may quite enjoy it here, a fans favourite and would get regular (PL please) game time - something which isn't quite so likely at Spurs. Even for Spurs it may make sense for us to develop/risk him more quickly in the EPL than they could next season. It's a business isn't it after all ! 

If not very I'm sure Sorenson will be a revelation as a CDM and we'll all wonder why we were so worried !

Edited by Yellow Fever

It's incredibly rare that a loan spell works out so well, for all parties. Skipp has filled a hole in the team that's been present in one form or another since we abandoned the diamond formation in the latter part of Lambert's tenure.

The awareness, anticipation and discipline are on another level to anything I've ever seen at Norwich apart from perhaps the more attacking attributes of Maddison. Skipp is destined for the very top of the game, barring some horrendous injury.

In the same way that it would be impossible to find a direct replacement for Buendia, if such a player exists in his position, we could never afford to replace Skipp like-for-like.

Our position in the football world relies on discovering and developing unknown players while filling the squad with solid but unspectacular players and coaching them to add the necessary tactical attributes.

I like Sorensen. He's show a great attitude and a solid set of skills. But it's hard to deny that he's closer to an Onel than an Emi - he has some great elements, but isn't quite the complete package. Maybe he will develop into the role, and he definitely deserves a chance, but he's not on the same level as Skipp.

• Like 2

Assuming we go up, I think it would be 50/50 whether Spurs let him go or not.

A full season at PL level would be great for Skipp and I'm sure he would want to avoid a bit part role. They may even miss out on the Europa League spot so they won't need a big squad. They currently have Hojberg, Ndombele, Sissoko, Winks and Dier in centre mid... would they really need a sixth?

If we can't re-sign him, I could see them going with Sorensen and Tettey to be our two CDMs. Farke speaks pretty highly of Sorensen and Tettey would provide experienced cover. Would a midfield pairing of McLean and Sorensen be good enough to survive in the PL? Hmmm.... not confident.

It would be great for Sorensen to get a run in the team at cdm but Skipp has been excellent, injury free and we don't need/want to play with two defensive players there. 

32 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think Cambridgeo is just  miffed that  he didn't think of this particular thread subject.

Must try harder CC 😇

rent

free

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

You would be surprised what you read on social media. Or not, given it's full of idiots. Myself included..

• Haha 1

Look at TGS going all Suzie Dent on, I'm not sure the majority on here know what Hypothesis means 😆

But for what my opinion is worth it all I guess depends on what Spurs do in terms of manager and adding new players, he is only 20 so potentially they may see another year on loan to us in the premier as the next step in his career (assuming we get there).

We always look small in the centre of the park and need a unit in there, McLean will do OK, Rupp is to small and Vrancic is not what we need in the Premier League.

Not sure where we will get said unit having said that.

6 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Oh god, CC has just taken this conversation to 12 year old status with this phrase 🤦

Maybe if people stopped talking about me and obsessing over my posts the thread could stay on topic and we could talk about the subject at hand.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Oh god, CC has just taken this conversation to 12 year old status with this phrase 🤦

In his defence I think he's somewhat toned down the incessant new thread starting of late, so maybe people can ease of him a bit. 

But yeah, rent free is a hugely irritating phrase.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

In his defence I think he's somewhat toned down the incessant new thread starting of late, so maybe people can ease of him a bit. 

But yeah, rent free is a hugely irritating phrase.

I agree, personally don't have a problem with new posts but all these new American phrases that are now used drive me crazy.

My daughter used 'my bad' the other day, so I asked her bad what 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Maybe if people stopped talking about me and obsessing over my posts the thread could stay on topic and we could talk about the subject at hand.

Just say obsessed then 😁

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Skipp's carrying of the ball / dribbling is premier league quality.  But as you point out, it's his forward passing that is sub-par (for the premier).  **Holds wet finger in air** I would say it's average champ quality at the moment.

Sorenson's passing however is better in both technique and vision.  Problem is, if this was Football Manager 2021, Sorenson's pace / acceleration would be like 5/20, 2/20 respectively, meaning it's more likely he'd be playing a deep lying playmaker role with Kenny / Rupp, instead of Skpp's Anchor / holding role, which only Tettey currently vies for.

39 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

rent

free

Sense of  humour failure  this morning CC ?....you dont normally take yourself so seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really want to see Sorensen in the position so we can get an idea of how suited he is for next season. We would also need to recruit another for the position. Anyone been impressing recently in that area that we could afford? 

16 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sense of  humour failure  this morning CC ?....you dont normally take yourself so seriously.

Give him a break everyone. If you think of him like the puppy of the forum, massively over-enthusiastic but wanting to join in with everything, it might make him easier to cope with? There are far more irritating people on here.

21 minutes ago, Orly said:

Skipp's carrying of the ball / dribbling is premier league quality.  But as you point out, it's his forward passing that is sub-par (for the premier).  **Holds wet finger in air** I would say it's average champ quality at the moment.

Sorenson's passing however is better in both technique and vision.  Problem is, if this was Football Manager 2021, Sorenson's pace / acceleration would be like 5/20, 2/20 respectively, meaning it's more likely he'd be playing a deep lying playmaker role with Kenny / Rupp, instead of Skpp's Anchor / holding role, which only Tettey currently vies for.

I’d agree with that RE Skipp’s forward passing, but that isn’t what his job is - and he definitely is PL quality in respect of the role he is asked to do for us. He’ll clearly be playing in there one way or another sooner enough.

In terms of Sorenson I’d agree that I don’t think he has the mobility or physicality to cover as many spaces as Skipp does (and we do leave a lot for him to cover), and whilst Sorenson is better at using the ball and probably more composed to, the mobility issue is key IMO. He just doesn’t quite defend / press / cover with the same intensity of Skipp IMO.

That said, can’t really judge him without really seeing him in that role - just the impression I get from seeing him at LB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

like Sorensen. He's show a great attitude and a solid set of skills. But it's hard to deny that he's closer to an Onel than an Emi - he has some great elements, but isn't quite the complete package. Maybe he will develop into the role, and he definitely deserves a chance, but he's not on the same level as Skipp.

In all fairness, apart from a few fleeting moments, Lungi has not played his normal role for us yet. So I really don’t think any of us can say for sure what are and aren’t his attributes yet as a CDM. Skipp himself has got better and better this season by playing games, I see no reason why they wouldn’t apply to JS as well. But I have a sneaking suspicion he’ll prove to be very good in his natural position.

As for Skipp, I guess the chances of him coming back on loan next season hinge on several factors such as our league status next season, and probably critically, who’s actually in charge at Spurs next season - no guarantees it’ll be Mourinho at the moment. But I think we’d have a pretty decent chance getting him back on loan as things stand.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Give him a break everyone. If you think of him like the puppy of the forum, massively over-enthusiastic but wanting to join in with everything, it might make him easier to cope with? There are far more irritating people on here.

Can’t work out if you’re sticking up for him or insulting him... 😆

I have no qualms with CC and my comment was meant in jest so apologies for any offence caused. However he does often fail to read topics properly or misses posts under topics etc before posting himself - bit of a pet peeve of mine! 

• Haha 1

It may be Sorenson, but we still need to sign another good DM. 

Tettey and Skipp need replacing in the summer. 

You need quality throughout the squad in the Premier League. 

Lewis Travis at Blackburn looks a quality combatitive young midfielder.