Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

So what is McVeigh's contribution.

We all know the criticisms and we know he has played in just over half of the league games but what if there had been no Paul McVeigh this season?

After a dismal run McVeigh came back to inspire the team to a home win against Plymouth (Pink Un Poll MOM). It was his shot deflected for the opening goal.

He then put us ahead at Brighton 2-1 thus setting up the win.

He got two away to Crewe. 2-0.

He equalised at Sheffield Utd with a great shot to lift the team and inspire them on to a win. 3-1.

He was Pink Un MOM in the home win against Burnley.

He scored a solo goal in a tight 1-0 at Leicester.

He put in the cross deflected for an equaliser yesterday.

That little lot is 19 of our 40 points and the reason we are not fighting relegation.

Paul has scored other goals which did not feature in positive results, he has fearlessly smacked in penalties when other players have fluffed their lines and he has lifted the crowd with his cameos.

The little man is our inspiration, he operates in tight areas better than anyone else and has more skill and imagination than any other City player.

The team should be built around and play through McVeigh who is one of only a handful of current City players I have any affection for. He is the Club top scorer and forth highest appearence holder in the current squad despite never being given a chance in the Premier League.

We will avoid relegation this season because of the individual brilliance of the disgracefully managerially derided Paul McVeigh ''the player of the season.''

(Now, I bet some of you Statto''s out there can really sharpen the focus on this thread, as I am not too clever when it comes to statistics, and will probably show Worthingtons handling and sparing use of McVeigh to have been a critical feature of this dreadful season).

I am amazed he has done so well considering the amount of hoofball played this season. I have always maintained that in a passing team McVeigh would truly show his capabilities. in fact he like safri are the only two players able to instigate passing football in the current side.

his neat control and lay-offs are second to none and even against hull in the limited time he was allowed he created the goal with a top quality hooked cross in the area.

AND HE IS GONNA LEAVE US ON A FREE.... HE HASN''T EVEN BEEN OFFERED A CONTRACT!!!!

This is all well and good, and surely no-one doubts that WLY is a good player, but where was this McVeigh last season when we needed him to help us to stay up?  I don''t think I''ve ever seen a more anonymous player than him in the games he played last season (eg Spurs); it is certainly interesting that he''s started trying again when playing for a contract/move.

Your assertion that he has given us 19pts is also completely bizarre, as this belittles any other contribution to either his goals, or finishing off his crosses; how exactly does winning MOM in the pink ''un mean he gained us the 3pts v Burnley?  Using this token, the mom v Brighton (Doc) was responsible for the 3pts, not WLY.  Your point is more than a little spurious, but equally, the point that an up-for-it WLY is a big asset to the side is not really debatable.

I agree with what you have said and the only thanks he will get is being shown the door at the end of the season now earnshaw has arrived. His best position is up front and he will never be able to partner Earnshaw, who will always start now.

Paul Mcveigh 2005 – 06

Out of 37 possible games

(33 League, 1 FA Cup and 3 League Cup)

Started: 19

Sub: 12 (1 Unused)

Did Not Feature: 6

Total games featured in: 30 (I.E made an appearance either starting or as a sub.)

Whole Games Played: 8 out of  19 which he started.

Minutes on Pitch: 1863 out of a possible 3330 (37 games times by 90 minutes.)

Goals: 7

Assists: 4

Yellow Cards: 5

Man of Matches: 4 (EDP, EN and Pink ‘UN fan poll)

If you look at the games he has feature in for the full 90 minutes, he has a scoring average of just less than 1 per game (0.88, to be precise)…. Which isn’t that bad really.

Who knows what he could have done if he had played full games for all of those he started? We don’t know, and to be brutally honest I don’t think Worthington cares either.

By the way, I worked out these stats using the data provided on this website, and it was done manually so I apologise for any glaring mistakes or wrong calcutations. Please feel free to update etc.

Scouse.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

This is all well and good, and surely no-one doubts that WLY is a good player, but where was this McVeigh last season when we needed him to help us to stay up?  I don''t think I''ve ever seen a more anonymous player than him in the games he played last season (eg Spurs); it is certainly interesting that he''s started trying again when playing for a contract/move.

Your assertion that he has given us 19pts is also completely bizarre, as this belittles any other contribution to either his goals, or finishing off his crosses; how exactly does winning MOM in the pink ''un mean he gained us the 3pts v Burnley?  Using this token, the mom v Brighton (Doc) was responsible for the 3pts, not WLY.  Your point is more than a little spurious, but equally, the point that an up-for-it WLY is a big asset to the side is not really debatable.

[/quote]

he wasnt getting picked last season and scored at old trafford......  Uninterested norwich get a lucky draw with the powerhouses at Hull.  Also we created nothing yeasterday till he arrived on the pitch.

Yes, Branston. He was anonymous in one game last season. Spurs.

But then he was actually anonymous in all the rest of them, because he didn''t actually play.

Why can''t people see? OK, he''s not the best player in the country, he may not be premiership material BUT he is certainly one of the best in the Championship and we need players like him to make the difference.

Get real branston. Ask worthless where he was last season, because he''s the reason he didnt play. HE WASN''T GIVEN A CHANCE. Go check how many minutes he played last season, never mind matches!!!!!!! 

Nigel Worthington should be taken in front of a industrial tribunal for what he said about McVeigh’s motives for gathering a new contract there is no place on the shop floor for a bully o.k. what he said about Francis who has gone is fair enough but not some one still employed by him is unaceptaptaple  Worthington must be replaced by Williams A.S.A.P.