Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Egg chasing...

Is it me, or is it a rather ridiculous ‘sport’?  I’ve watched it on and off all my life and some of the rules and decisions made by officials are truly baffling, as though they are making it up as they go along.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

Even more than in footy the officiallies can influence the game, the decisions are margin and impact huge.  

I love the sport and have been a Ref and a Ref's assessor and the ref in the England game is an incredible example of horrendous refereeing, even with technology. Even the Welsh thought they shouldn't have been awarded two tries. 

Lee Mason must have French blood in him 

• Like 1

I'm one of those folks who only watches during 6 nations/World Cup so I don't fully understand the rules but even I know those first two tries were ****.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The officials embarrass football officials

Until today.  This guy and the video ref rank alongside Mason and Hooper.  Ruined this game.

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is it me, or is it a rather ridiculous ‘sport’?  I’ve watched it on and off all my life and some of the rules and decisions made by officials are truly baffling, as though they are making it up as they go along.  

Branston, next time I go to  game, I'll invite you along and we can quaff a pint or two ,and I'll explain the rules to you. If you're not bothered about learning the rules, we'll have another pint or two............. 🙂 

• Like 1

And Itoje getting so many penalties against him is a joke!  He is too quick for this ref.  Only one of them of them was right.  

It hasn’t been a good week or so for tv officials - some of the decisions in the cricket have been baffling, and that’s probably one of the easiest games to officiate (other than for catches and whether they’ve hit the ground)

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

It hasn’t been a good week or so for tv officials - some of the decisions in the cricket have been baffling, and that’s probably one of the easiest games to officiate (other than for catches and whether they’ve hit the ground)

Agreed, the wicket where the TV umpire didn't roll the VT on to see the ball pop out and brush the batman's hands was unbelievable.  Root was telling the pitch umpire to roll it on but ....

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Forgot about the cricket!

The match officials should be anonymous. Horrendous

Definitely not being used correctly....

Edited by Indy

I love Rugby. Football could learn a lot from it. 

Today is a bad example but the officiating is much better than football (including amateur level), I enjoy being able to hear what the ref is saying, they (normally) use replays in a sensible way, the players know their place (something I found out the hard way when I first started playing, being used to playing football and the way I could 'talk' to the ref). But most of all, I like that the players are not fannies, some of the hits are huge and they just get up, dust themselves down and carry on. Footballers take a minutes worth of treatment if an opposition players hand gently brushes their face.

• Sad 1

Theres a reason why after 150 yrs of existence (much like cricket) only a dozen or so countries play it to any standard or with any interest.

Its simply a dreadful game to both play and watch.

If rugby didnt exist today, theres no way anyone would invent it

• Like 1

When things are normal, my son and I have season tickets to a local rugby team, Camborne, who are arch rivals of Redruth where I live. There is nothing like live sport and the social side is very good.

I played Rugby at the CNS and lived in NZ where it is so much the major sport you wouldn't believe it.

I really like the game and believe it has much that football could learn from.

I don't think Branston understands it and that probably is the reason for his disdain.

But the refereeing in the England game had me baffled and was not becoming of a ref on the International Panel.