EleanorGrace

Promotion hopes after Swansea - PL quality

After being fairly dismissive of a rating, this is how I see the squad in terms of potential PL quality.

Krul (Y - mid-table PL)
Aarons (Y - mid-table PL, potential for higher)
Gibson (Y - mid/lower table PL, may have potential due to years missed and former England call-up)
Hanley (borderliner. Could probably make a PL-standard pairing with Gibson).
Giannoulis (not enough to go off for yet, but an increasingly promising start)
Rupp (borderliner, needs a full pre-season and more than anything, play in his main position, judging him using his previous PL season as a newbie brought into a badly shaken team after a long time injured is erroneous. He's one who could step up).
McLean (borderliner at best, but in spells this season has improved)
Sorensen (nothing to go off in his best position yet, he's the wildcard. If you push me, I think he could step up very well, but...)
Buendia (Y - mid-table PL, potential for much more)
Cantwell (Y - mid/lower table PL. More consistency and improved workrate will improve this)
Pukki (Y - mid/lower-table PL)
Nyland (nothing to go off yet, no point judging Villa spell if he's been plagued with back issues)
Vrancic (N, IMO if we go up, I wouldn't renew the contract)
Stiepermann (N, with the caveat that number 10 in a team when the defence is compromised is hard work, we also don't know when this virus started on him. Probably still a complete N though).
Tettey (N, but emergency back-up and general all-round great mentor for Sorensen and mebbe even Hondermarck)
Hugill (borderliner, needs more time)
Hernandez (N, not consistent enough, can be a Y when "on it", but that's not enough)
Placheta (borderliner, has the pace, needs refining, strongly suspect he'll do better against teams that come out instead of sitting)
Idah (N for now, needs loan/seasoning/positive match experience)
Barden (N, exact same as Idah)
Quintilla (N, and looking at how Giannoulis has come in, we can close the door on him)
McCullum (N with the caveat that he's done quite well at Coventry, may need another loan for seasoning, may yet get there)
Famewo (N, but similar to McCullum with the caveat he's done well at Charlton before being injured. Would give him a crack in the Champs next year, but I think we're going up, so he needs another loan).
Dowell (borderliner at best, he needs a run in the side to judge properly though)
Martin (N for now, same as Idah and Barden)
Mumba (N for now, same as Martin, Idah, and Barden)

The way I see it, a lot will depend on our defence holding up, as you would expect. Most of all, it will depend on our defensive midfield. If we can't get Skipp, then Sorensen is going to have to show us something. His performances at left-back seem to hint that he just might have it, but we don't know for sure. Rupp could use a spell without injuries as he was really looking the part this season until his hammy went.

I'd say we need a strong centre-half and a complete **** in the middle of the park. But I think we're going the right way.

• Like 1