4 hours ago, Weneverscorefromacorner said:

I think what Yellowrider is trying to say that its really quite unbelievable that there has never been any interest in buying NCFC. 

Indeed it would be very hard to believe, if it was true, but since it isn't true the supposed unbelievability factor disappears.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

They are now but that's solely on the back of results this season and our league position. Does Smith deserve credit for that? Of course, it would be churlish to deny that. However, if you were to trawl back through this forum and look at the posts during that appalling Project Restart, you would be hard pressed to locate your 'huge majority'. Such is the fickleness of football fans as we both know.  

If any of that were really true there would have been howling mobs battering down the doors to Carrow road when we were in Division 1 wouldn't there? In reality all that happened was that a couple of blokes ran on the pitch and threw their season tickets at Bryan Gunn when we were 7-1 down at home to Colchester. 

56 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Not if they’re gambling with people’s pensions. Either it’s some two bit local scheme run by local bigwigs who think they’re cleverer than they really are, or there’s some financial aspect to this that hasn’t been spotted yet which means their money isn’t at risk. Either way, it doesn’t translate into a stinking rich messiah who will lead 1p5wich into the Premier League.

“TWTD understands that much of the cash will come from the pension fund for the fire and police services of a so-far unnamed US state.”

Yup

3 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Please elaborate and provide evidence of anything in my post that equates to being 'glass half empty'? In fact quite the opposite if you care to take another read. However, my main assertion is that if anyone thinks that we are going to remain in this superior position v Ipswich for ever and a day are likely to be proved wrong. They will bounce back as most things go in cycles. Not that many years ago Celtic fans were crowing at the downfall (on and off the field) of their bitter rivals. They're not now are they?  

Some things run in cycles, some don't. 

Ipswich may come back to rival us one day, since there is infinite time to do so then at some stage you may be proved correct, much like the 'predictions' of Nostradamus.

On the other hand, they may not. Clubs go out of business, they fade into non-league. The swing of the pendulum back in their favour is by no means guaranteed. 

3 hours ago, Tony Swallow said:

We do own the stadium but we have never owned the land it's built on, it's owned by the council.

Bit like owning a shed on an allotment then. The new tenant may give you a few quid for it but if he doesn't t want it - you're stuffed.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Weneverscorefromacorner said:

I think what Yellowrider is trying to say that its really quite unbelievable that there has never been any interest in buying NCFC. 

With the current situation and NCFC doing things their way, and several clubs now attempting to follow the same model, I don’t think it will be too long before investors do come calling. Having made millions last year on the sale of Godfrey and Lewis, and with likely sales in the next window topping 40m+, with the likes of Mumba, Soto and a few more likely to follow the season after,  with undoubtedly the next generation of talented youngsters lined up by the scouting team, city will be a very good investment. 

11 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Quite a few people on this thread have commented that Ip5w1ch no longer own the Stadium. 

This is similar to the case at Leeds in the past.   What was revealed after they were taken over was that LUFC had the option to buy the Stadium back at the price the Council had paid (the Council benefitted from the cashflow of the rental on the stadium so were not too fussed about capital values given the restrictions most local authorities have to suffer on capital reciepts). 

So there was actually quite a lot of value in that option, and thus the investment in the club.  The same is probably true at the Scum, unfortunately.  So, don't dismiss the motives of the purchasers.  The low figure of £17m would probably be augmented by the buy back of Portaloo (who else would want it) at a relatively low price.  So once agent Lambert is replaced (which would probably cost more than the Stadium ironically), I would expect it likely they get promoted next season with the ground back in their hands.  

They say don't mock the afflicted.  This might be the case here.

And yes, it's no surprise Evans secured this deal, but also we know Smith & Jones don't want to sell.  If you don't make something available it can't be sold.   We are where we are.

I may be wrong but I don't think they have ever owned Portman Road. They did own the training ground but sold it to Evans in a market value transaction. 

The land at Portman Road is owned by the council but the club owns the buildings. The council have placed a restrictive covenant on the land so that it can only be used for sport. 

Sometimes Ipswich Town pay the council rent. Sometimes they don't 😂 Not owning the ground has saved the club in the past. Creditors won't force a company into liquidation if it has no assets. 

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think its that difficult to make money from a football club now too that if an owner is stupid / caring / egotistical / big fan (delete where appropriate) enough to own a club then fair play.

I agree and disagree with this.

In most football clubs today, it is pretty much a hobby for billionaires. The wages alone take up most of the revenue.

Having said that, 17 million is pretty cheap, when you consider, as someone else mentioned, Max Aarons is worth double that.

Ipswich have had a poor season but are still in the playoff mix. League one is really poor and I think Paul Cook would do a decent job there.

They would then need to restructure the club, get some kind of a plan and focus on developing their youth academy.

Whether they do that or not is anyone's guess. There are a worrying number of American owners and the fact that it is funded from people's pensions is dodgy as. 

I’ve always said with Ipswich it’s not the crook they’ve got they’ve got to worry about it’s the crook the crook sells the club to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If any of that were really true there would have been howling mobs battering down the doors to Carrow road when we were in Division 1 wouldn't there? In reality all that happened was that a couple of blokes ran on the pitch and threw their season tickets at Bryan Gunn when we were 7-1 down at home to Colchester. 

Did you go to Charlton when we were relegated to the old Third Division a few months before? Remind me what the away fans were singing then please? Still, once a Cook fan, always a Cook fan I suppose. Your choice. Forgive me if I wear a different badge to you though.

33 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Did you go to Charlton when we were relegated to the old Third Division a few months before? Remind me what the away fans were singing then please? Still, once a Cook fan, always a Cook fan I suppose. Your choice. Forgive me if I wear a different badge to you though.

So your example is when we were at our lowest ebb in most fans’ living memory?  Highly representative 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mario Harper****e said:

So your example is when we were at our lowest ebb in most fans’ living memory?  Highly representative 

Precisely. One of the worst managers we had in some time, with a lot of loan signings that didn't seem to care, an incredibly parlous financial situation where we were close to administration, and no great football to watch. Project Restart wasn't anywhere near as bad as that as ultimately we were suffering from a litany of injuries at centre-half and got to the Premiership, in all likelihood, at least a season too soon for our younger talents to really show what they could do.

Delia's record as owner is mixed on the whole, but this spell putting Webber in as sporting director is proving to be a very astute move indeed.

In life there is always someone who does something better than you, so there are decisions to be made, risks to be taken or to be avoided.  At best only half the team win each weekend, and winning is everything in football.  Delia and Michael have been a fantastic, they have made good and bad decisions, but everytime it has been with our clubs best interests at heart.  We have been fortunate to have them.  Life as a Norwich supporter has had ups and downs, but the last few years, especially since we restructured have been really enjoyable.  OTBC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Comedy gold - Delia and MWJ have been majority shareholders since 1996. In that time we will have played getting on for 1000 games. You can come up with 1 where fans have been singing rude things about them. 😂

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

I agree and disagree with this.

In most football clubs today, it is pretty much a hobby for billionaires. The wages alone take up most of the revenue.

Having said that, 17 million is pretty cheap, when you consider, as someone else mentioned, Max Aarons is worth double that.

Ipswich have had a poor season but are still in the playoff mix. League one is really poor and I think Paul Cook would do a decent job there.

They would then need to restructure the club, get some kind of a plan and focus on developing their youth academy.

Whether they do that or not is anyone's guess. There are a worrying number of American owners and the fact that it is funded from people's pensions is dodgy as. 

Thing is, they were losing circa 7 million a year in the championship. There's a very long way to turning that into something that actually works.

1 hour ago, Mario Harper****e said:

I think you're doing  the poster a  real injustice. They could have picked the 1956-57 season when we finished rock bottom of the Third Division South and were in serious danger of being voted down into the outer darkness of non-league football...

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indeed it would be very hard to believe, if it was true, but since it isn't true the supposed unbelievability factor disappears.

Do you have inside information then?

Genuine question,not trying to be sarcastic. 

19 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Not if they’re gambling with people’s pensions. Either it’s some two bit local scheme run by local bigwigs who think they’re cleverer than they really are, or there’s some financial aspect to this that hasn’t been spotted yet which means their money isn’t at risk. Either way, it doesn’t translate into a stinking rich messiah who will lead 1p5wich into the Premier League.

They only have to be cleverer than Ipswich I suppose. Marcus Evans clearly was when he first bought them.

Is it me or are Ipswich Town becoming the metaphorical prison rent boy of the EFL? 

Just being passed around from one owner to the next, allowing each one in turn to have a quick "go" on them.

Edited by Paint Me Yellow
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Weneverscorefromacorner said:

Do you have inside information then?

Genuine question,not trying to be sarcastic. 

No reason why you should have seen it but I posted this yesterday, showing that there have been approaches made to Smith and Jones about a possible takeover:

Not true. What City1st would call a lie, but then I am not City1st, luckily for all concerned. In the FT interview only a few days ago Smith talked about this:

Several “odd people” have approached Smith about a potential takeover of Norwich City over the years. One investor offered a nominal £1 to take a previously lossmaking club “off our hands”, she says. Another suitor planned to put it into administration to settle debts and cut costs. None was deemed to have the club’s best interests at heart.

What she has said is that no one has come up with a proposal they liked (certainly Cullum did not, and they were right to reject him) and that no-one has turned their proposal into a proper offer. Which as a matter of fact is correct. No-one has made an offer for the club since it became a plc.

In terms of our ownership I've always said the gamble of new ownership can only possibly be worth it if youre in a really bad place, because the proportion of clubs that in recent years improve under new owners isn't great.

So I've never understood the clamour for ownership whilst we've been either flirting with prem relegation or championship promotion.

Ipswich are midtable in league one. Its probably worth a roll of the dice for them.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Looks more like driving up the price to me . Someone (other party) appears to have leaked this ? Mucus now playing the game ? 

Be amusing if they balls up the sale and get it called off as they start demanding more money.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Be amusing if they balls up the sale and get it called off as they start demanding more money.

Absolutely- if this doesn’t go through it would be priceless . 

12 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Absolutely- if this doesn’t go through it would be priceless . 

Get your TWTD account sorted. Just in case 😂😂 Having said that, they're not quite as mouthy as they were when Evans moved in 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think you're doing  the poster a  real injustice. They could have picked the 1956-57 season when we finished rock bottom of the Third Division South and were in serious danger of being voted down into the outer darkness of non-league football...

.........but he couldn't have then brought in his bete-noir ie the Cook as a convenient stick to beat the club 🙄

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Comedy gold - Delia and MWJ have been majority shareholders since 1996. In that time we will have played getting on for 1000 games. You can come up with 1 where fans have been singing rude things about them. 😂

Don't worry Mr Lizard - here's another one. 22nd December 2107 at FCR. First time I'd heard sections of the crowd turn on D Smith herself in vocal terms. For accuracy, the Charlton example was fans singing .............'Sack the Board'   

You may not believe it but in some respects I'm Smiths biggest fan. When she rails about the cancer of money in the game ruining the otherwise reasonably 'level' playing field and the adverse impact of the Sky takeover in 1992, I'm 100% in agreement. I also support the 'self sustain' model (in principle).

One of my main points, though, which no-one has yet taken up in this debate, is her decision to bequeath the ownership to her nephew when other options should have been considered. On the subject of T Smith, have we ever been told exactly WHY she believes he should be the owner of our football club?? Leave it with you to fly the Cook flag on that one.     

5 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Don't worry Mr Lizard - here's another one. 22nd December 2107 at FCR. First time I'd heard sections of the crowd turn on D Smith herself in vocal terms. For accuracy, the Charlton example was fans singing .............'Sack the Board'   

You may not believe it but in some respects I'm Smiths biggest fan. When she rails about the cancer of money in the game ruining the otherwise reasonably 'level' playing field and the adverse impact of the Sky takeover in 1992, I'm 100% in agreement. I also support the 'self sustain' model (in principle).

One of my main points, though, which no-one has yet taken up in this debate, is her decision to bequeath the ownership to her nephew when other options should have been considered. On the subject of T Smith, have we ever been told exactly WHY she believes he should be the owner of our football club?? Leave it with you to fly the Cook flag on that one.     

Can we all have a say on what you put in your will? 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

.........but he couldn't have then brought in his bete-noir ie the Cook as a convenient stick to beat the club 🙄

I am sure he could have done somehow. She was alive then!

• Haha 1

Yellowrider is a funny old boy. The reasons for his dislike for 'the cook' change fluidly year by year and account by account. Originally it was that he liked the ownership just not when 'the cook' interferes in football affairs.

I think the fact he never complains about 'the publisher' speaks volumes about the real reason....