cambridgeshire canary

Todays injury news- Cantwell and Hernandez both out injured

Updates will be posted below.

'There are some bad news, with Todd Cantwell. He had calf problems after the last game. He has a minor muscle injury so he will be out for the weekend. That is bad news because he was in really good form. There is also a question over Onel Hernandez because he got a dead leg and was unable to finish the training on Wednesday. Ben Gibson with his back had a session. There is still a question mark on him but I am carefully optimistic that he will be available for the weekend. Josh Martin is also not available because he got a hit on the toe. It is not a major injury but he won't be available for the weekend.

It would be too soon to see if Todd Cantwell will be available for Brentford. I wouldn’t say it is a big chance but we will wait and see. 

Nyland is back in team training. He was out for quite a long time - for several months - so we will give him time. He is available but it is important for him from day to day to find more confidence and rhythm and every day in training will help him. We don’t have to rush him back in because we have two good goalkeepers In Tim Krul and Daniel Barden.

Ben Gibson has not been out for too long so it can be quite quick, but we have to see how he comes through the next two training sessions. He is our only left footed centre-back so it is always good to have him back for the balance of the team and a player of his class and character but it is too soon to say.'

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Hopefully a good rest for Cantwell in time for Brentford then! 

Would be good if Hernandez could slot in for him after doing pretty well in the week - will be a shame if he can't play either. 

I've lost count of the number of times we've been told a player is doubtful for the next game, yet they manage to stagger off their sickbed and play. Sounds like Onel is starting to me.

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I've lost count of the number of times we've been told a player is doubtful for the next game, yet they manage to stagger off their sickbed and play. Sounds like Onel is starting to me.

On the flip side we've also had a couple of 'should be out for a week or two' that turns into 4 or 5.

That’s it, despite the pro NCFC PR blitz last week, Todd Cantwell is being sold then. 😞 

Dead leg Tuesday, couldn't finish training on Friday, two days to go to relieve dead leg.  Onel will want to play after Tuesdays performance also feel he will be playing.  

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

By the same token it sounds to me like Todd will be a last minute ‘return from injury’ for the Bees game. For the psychological impact . They’d also have to train for playing Norwich with/without Cantwell. Not that he’s our Messi but an influential figure nonetheless, whom  some teams target

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

I'll put a Fiver on Hernandez plays a part tomorrow and its a classic Farke Smoke-screen.

On another thread it was discussed rotating players. Whereas I think we should always play our best 11 until we have to change I rather like the enforced idea of Onel starting. Let him take his chance.

20 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

By the same token it sounds to me like Todd will be a last minute ‘return from injury’ for the Bees game. For the psychological impact . They’d also have to train for playing Norwich with/without Cantwell. Not that he’s our Messi but an influential figure nonetheless, whom  some teams target

I'm hoping he will be available, maybe makes sense to rest him anyway given the schedule and the fact he has played a lot of minutes lately. He's in good form, makes no sense to risk him being out for longer if he has a niggle anyway I guess

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

I'm hoping he will be available, maybe makes sense to rest him anyway given the schedule and the fact he has played a lot of minutes lately. He's in good form, makes no sense to risk him being out for longer if he has a niggle anyway I guess

Yes agree, am thinking it’s win win.

I won’t be so cheery if we fail to beat Wycombe, of course..

• Like 1

Be something like this:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis
Skipp McLean
Buendia Vrancic Placheta
Pukki

Barden Zimmermann Quintilla Tettey Rupp Sorensen Dowell Idah Hugill

Omobamidele onto bench if Gibson isnt fit

One player not mentioned as being out is Mumba and given Cantwell, Hernandez and Martin may be out.  Mumba also not listed as inclusion in U23's. We will be short of attacking creativity with Placheta the only experienced option to support Buendia and Vrancic.  Mumba may get a place on the bench to add some creativity, in his sole appearance to date created mayhem against Swansea on the left and provide cover for Max.

Hope Onel is fit a dead leg seems to be injury easy to overcome with some manipulation over the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Not sure why we got Nyland in really, because, if we were short on the Goalkeeper front, the king of miraculous recoveries would fly over from Florida and stand in between the sticks. We might need to explain about the back-pass rule though.

2 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

I'll put a Fiver on Hernandez plays a part tomorrow and its a classic Farke Smoke-screen.

I'll take that bet

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pete said:

One player not mentioned as being out is Mumba and given Cantwell, Hernandez and Martin may be out.  Mumba also not listed as inclusion in U23's. We will be short of attacking creativity with Placheta the only experienced option to support Buendia and Vrancic.  Mumba may get a place on the bench to add some creativity, in his sole appearance to date created mayhem against Swansea on the left and provide cover for Max.

Hope Onel is fit a dead leg seems to be injury easy to overcome with some manipulation over the next couple of days. 

Good spot, Pete. Looks like the ideal opportunity for Mumba to come back in, although I suspect it'll be from the bench in the 89th minute... 🙂

Real blow losing Cantwell. Been our best player in this recent good run, and arguably in the best form of his Norwich City career. Hopefully he'll be able to play some part against Brentford, but I'm not too optimistic. 

Big chance for somebody to impress in his place tomorrow.

Seems a bit funny to me, it was Todd’s birthday yesterday (Saturday) and he won’t be available for the game today 🙄🙄.

Perhaps him and Onel were planning a trip to Argos and then going to the pub for a few bevvies (oh wait, the pubs aren’t open). 🤫🤫

• Haha 1

On 26/02/2021 at 14:21, GenerationA47 said:

Yep, have a sneaking suspicion Todd will be available Wednesday evening too, GA47. I mean how many days does it take exactly for a young fit athlete to recover from birthday drinks round The Mayor’s house anyway?

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, have a sneaking suspicion Todd will be available Wednesday evening too, GA47. I mean how many days does it take exactly for a young fit athlete to recover from birthday drinks round The Mayor’s house anyway?

There’s no “whaaaat?” reaction emoji! 

Whaaaat?!

And was the butler’s name Moss...?

I really hope to see Cantwell in the starters against the Bees.

Especially as he tends to pull out all the stops when returning after injury or being dropped. 

The rest will have done him good in this respect.

34 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

There’s no “whaaaat?” reaction emoji! 

Whaaaat?!

And was the butler’s name Moss...?

Ha ha not guilty m’lud!

25 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I really hope to see Cantwell in the starters against the Bees.

Especially as he tends to pull out all the stops when returning after injury or being dropped. 

The rest will have done him good in this respect.

Out of reactions but agreed Broady, If he doesn’t play I won’t be unduly concerned because I trust in our excellent squad, but of course if we do get a huge boost on the team sheet come 4:30pm on Wednesday then it’ll certainly be a massive relief. These are exactly the kind of games that Todd absolutely revels in - it was simply no fluke that he scored against so many of the top 6 last season. Anyway, I need him for the 4-1 prediction ha ha