Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Sweet Caroline

I'm a bit bored so here's a quiz for you. 

Neil Diamond's song is now played or sung at sports venues all over the world. But it became famous in 1997 at one venue and was sung live by Neil Diamond at that venue in 2010.

Name of the sports team and venue required. A clue for you. One esteemed poster on this site is not allowed to participate. You know who you are 😊

Fenway Park dylan so whoever could you mean ? 😛

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm a bit bored so here's a quiz for you. 

Neil Diamond's song is now played or sung at sports venues all over the world. But it became famous in 1997 at one venue and was sung live by Neil Diamond at that venue in 2010.

Name of the sports team and venue required. A clue for you. One esteemed poster on this site is not allowed to participate. You know who you are 😊

Yes but if we don't know who that poster is it isn't much of a clue...🤓

21 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Esteemed poster ? Rules me out 😁

Finally I agree with one of your posts FF! 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Esteemed poster ? Rules me out 😁

Did I really say esteemed? Definitely not you😂😂

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Seen Neil Diamond at

Ipswich Town Ground

Zurich

London Earls Court twice

Staples Center 3 times in LA   

Fantastic entertainer who sadly is suffering from the early signs of dementia 

Anyone interested in those programs for shows 

8 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I never did rate Neil Diamond I hate that song.

It’s very popular in many rugby stadiums MP, depending on your opinion of egg chasers that may or may not reinforce your opinion 😁

26 minutes ago, daly said:

Seen Neil Diamond at

Ipswich Town Ground

Zurich

London Earls Court twice

Staples Center 3 times in LA   

Fantastic entertainer who sadly is suffering from the early signs of dementia 

Anyone interested in those programs for shows 

I have seen him at 1p5wich and also at the O2. A classy performer indeed daly and ' Er indoors and myself were planning to see him again in 2018 but unfortunately the tour was cancelled due to him suffering the early onset of dementia.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I have seen him at 1p5wich and also at the O2. A classy performer indeed daly and ' Er indoors and myself were planning to see him again in 2018 but unfortunately the tour was cancelled due to him suffering the early onset of dementia.

Very sad. A wonderful song writer

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He was a great performer, and much more of an international star than many of the modern era, but I do say that as an old geezer, “hot August night” would love to have been there👍

16 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It’s very popular in many rugby stadiums MP, depending on your opinion of egg chasers that may or may not reinforce your opinion 😁

I prefer the Status Quo version

Don't go near the Fleecewould Muck - Tango in the Night version. I think a 5 year old that had just learned the guitar could do a better job.

31 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It’s very popular at Oktoberfest too, try picturing 8 thousand Germans singing it with Australians vomiting on them 🤣

14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

This way back 47 years ago in 1974 but what a performance by him and Shirley Bassey.

Another good thing to come over the Severn Bridge Tilly, if you forgive the expression😁

He has a serious catalogue of tunes, plenty sung by other artists too.

Just off the top of my head:

Cracklin' Rosie

Forever in Blue Jeans

I Am I Said

Beautiful Noise

Cherry Cherry

Song Sung Blue

Love on the Rocks

Coming to America

You Don't Bring me Flowers Anymore (not sure if he wrote that one)

Kentucky Woman

I'm a Believer

Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon

Red Red Wine

and loads more if I really think about it or consult Mr Google

Only saw him the once though, and he had everyone up and dancing!

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

This way back 47 years ago in 1974 but what a performance by him and Shirley Bassey.

That was the start of a short affair between them, you can see the chemistry oozing from them

9 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I heard a bit about him on the radio yesterday. Apparently he and Carole King were responsible for the phrase 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'. They worked in Tin Pan Alley writing songs for bands like The Monkees. The cleaners were old and wore grey uniforms. Diamond and King used to play them what they'd written on a Friday night. If the Old Greys could still whistle the tune on the following Monday they knew they had a hit 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rivvo said:

It’s very popular at Oktoberfest too, try picturing 8 thousand Germans singing it with Australians vomiting on them 🤣

The Germans have a better dancefloor hit in Moskau, by Dschinghis Khan. Admittedly, the costumes look like something not even ABBA would touch and I wouldn't say the lyrics wander into stereotypes about Russian drinking habits, but as far as infectious foot-tappers go, it certainly is!

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I heard a bit about him on the radio yesterday. Apparently he and Carole King were responsible for the phrase 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'. They worked in Tin Pan Alley writing songs for bands like The Monkees. The cleaners were old and wore grey uniforms. Diamond and King used to play them what they'd written on a Friday night. If the Old Greys could still whistle the tune on the following Monday they knew they had a hit 

Best bit of info I've read in a while - thanks for sharing that Dylan! I grew up watching TOGWT & always wondered where the name came from...