Thirsty Lizard

Cantwell - Who's Right - Wolfie or Connor Southwell?

So Feedthewolf's excellent spreadsheet (with the help of Vazzza) lists Todd's contract as expiring in June 2022. However Connor Southwell states in his article on Todd today that the club possesses an option to extend Todd's contract for another year beyond that.

So who's correct? 

11 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

My recollection is that his contract expires next year with no option.  That plus £2.80 will get you a coffee at Caffe Nero....

That was my recollection too - but Connor has twice stated in articles recently that the club have an option for a further year. You would hope that he has done his research on this and got his facts right. 

52 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So Feedthewolf's excellent spreadsheet (with the help of Vazzza) lists Todd's contract as expiring in June 2022. However Connor Southwell states in his article on Todd today that the club possesses an option to extend Todd's contract for another year beyond that.

So who's correct? 

I mean, technically they could both be correct. As it stands his contract does expire in June 2022 having signed a new 3 year deal in 2019, but it is quite common for Norwich to have a extra year option in virtually all of the contracts they done under Webber's rein so would expect that to be true. 

I have no doubt there are plans in place for Todd, probably waiting to see if we get promoted this season before sitting down to talk contracts

• Like 1

It’s also possible the club’s  option is conditional - eg linked to a pay rise and/or to Premier status. Hoping these boxes will be ticked in Summer ’22 in any case...

Edited by GenerationA47
Getting the year right!

If there is an option to extend, why haven't we made it yet? Surely we should look to extend whether promoted or not so if he does go we can demand a bit more £££? Would be nice to know we could keep hold of him another season without the risk of losing him for nothing afterwards - particularly with Aarons and Buendia seeming unlikely to stick around too. 

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

If there is an option to extend, why haven't we made it yet? Surely we should look to extend whether promoted or not so if he does go we can demand a bit more £££? Would be nice to know we could keep hold of him another season without the risk of losing him for nothing afterwards - particularly with Aarons and Buendia seeming unlikely to stick around too. 

I think often you can only officially pick up those options when a player enters his last year of the contract. So for us if we have an option we may only be able to activate it next season.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

To be fair to Wolfie, there is no mention of the extension here or here.

Usually they include those details in the articles.

Yep, those were the articles I was basing my assumption on.

I can't imagine many circumstances in which I'd be happier to be proved wrong, though! 🙂

• Like 2

Irrespective of the option Todd is performing at a really good standard and should be one of our best paid players.  I am certain Webber and co will recognise that - even if they sell him, and extended and enhanced contract works for everyone.  If we do not go up, it will be important to pay him correctly.

That is brilliant news! I thought (as did most of us I believe) that we would have 12 months left on his contract after this season, so would basically have to sell or risk getting nothing (assuming he didn't want to sign a new contract). 🎈🤸‍♂️🎈🤸‍♀️🍾🍾🍾

23 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Same here mate but Connor Southwell is a football correspondent at Archant 😉

Fair do', wall, well its all the same 😁

Do we have confirmation from the club on this? As I said, I'd be delighted to be wrong, but I want to be sure. If so, that extra year has got to be worth at least £10m to the club.

Doesnt mention a 1 year option in the story on the official site or pinkun when he signed until 2022. Normally does say.

Pukki is also out of contract in 2022 aswell.