Sign in to follow this  
city-till-i-die

only 4 points fron 8th place, bad season if we finish there???

Looking at the table and resent form we can still finish high in the table and finish respectively with worty at the helm. Bearing in mind the considrable changes in the team from last season (green and hucks the only two who remain) we need to accept we are not going to go straight back up the team has still got to gell. all you against worty need to find positives, newall as manager? how far ahead are Luton would you be chanting him out now?

The glass is always half full!!

In recent years there has been stability within the team, management and fans, promotion year we had a strong core ie. green, fleming,malky,holt,mulryn,francis,iwan as we did in the play off year but that team took time to establish itself to get us promoted, succsess does not come overnight. with such changes in key positions i honestly did not expect us to reach top 6 if i am honest. Build for a strong future, sort out the wheat from the chaff this season and build a strong championship squad over the next 6 months.

i say the board and managmnt upon the sale of ashton should have said we will push for top 6 but will will not spend silly money, i would rather us of invested in players like Halford a long term solution and a poss buisness investment (like ashton) rather than pay high wages for players on the fringes of prem teams who give us no long term stability (just plug gaps). we can fill gaps with players such as splean, shackell and jarvis *2 and let them gain experince. and look long term not just to please fans in the short term.

I also think stability will make us stronger in the long term, managers like jewell at wigan,curbishly at chalton, robson at wba,and pardew at west ham, have all been through bad spells and are now sronger for it and learnt hard lessons to get where they are now, so why let another team benifit from the experiance worthy is now gaining? 

hay i want to go to Colchester and Southend next year anyway. ( it saves on the travelling!!)

i think season over february 5th constitutes an appaulling season... and we are 14th at the moment with 2 teams 1 point below us with a game in hand..... the mighty stoke and plymouth.. and they are TERRIBLE!!! AWFUL

it has been a DIRE season - truly awful.. we are going tro lose more home matches than i can ever remember us doing in a season at this rate... even hamilton only recorded 6 home defeats at the end of the season

I don''t mean to offend you, CTID, because (like all of us) you only want to see NCFC move ahead, but this post is bordering on the insane! Our glass is full of slops and with a fag-end floating in it; it also has a crack in it, from which the heart of this Club is rapidly dribbling out. 

"Looking at the table and resent form we can still finish high in the table..." Do you mean the form that hasn''t seen us win in 2006 and culminated in a last-gasp draw against an awful Hull team yesterday?  

"...succsess does not come overnight." Oh, right - I''d best tell Adie Boothroyd that, whose team is on the verge of making it into  automatic promotion place.

"Newall as manager? how far ahead are Luton?" He has them 5 places higher up the table than us in his first season in the Championship; also, Worthington has had funds for players that Mike Newell can only dream of.

"...why let another team benifit from the experiance worthy is now gaining?" Oh yes, yes, please let another team benefit from his "experience"! Experience does NOT necessarily equate to wisdom or an increase in ability. In Worthington''s case, it means making the same mistakes over and over again.

"...hey, I want to go to Colchester and Southend next year anyway." With a post like the above, the only place you''ll be going anytime soon is Hellesdon Hospital.  

By the criteria set by Worthington at the start of the season, then anything but promotion is failure.

When you consider we were favourites for the title but that (and 2nd place) was pretty much out of reach by October and as Rankin says our season over by February, then you have to put this season down as a failure.

We are 13 points & 9 places of a play off place but only 5 points and 5 places of a bottom 6 which is a fairer comparator.   11 points off a relegation spot yet 21 off 3rd spot. 

At the start I stated 8th would be theedges of an acceptabel season and that remains - 4 points is certainly acheivable but given our current form finishing 8th from bottom (just 3 points) is just as possible given up 8 of our last games are against teams above us, including palace, preson, wolves, leeds and sheff utd.

Mid table mediocrity is our aim now!  

In my opinion anything below a top 6 finish is a bad season, we are clearly not going too make the play offs, and can you realistically seeing us finishing in the top 8?

I cant, we have no midfield, a leaky defence, a hoof ball style with no targetmen, no wingers, so no service, a clueless manager, a coaching staff who do nothing and a who are i9n love with NW.

So to some up if we finish 8th it is a bad season, if we finished 7th and missed out on the play offs by goal difference it would be a bad season.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

I don''t mean to offend you, CTID, because (like all of us) you only want to see NCFC move ahead, but this post is bordering on the insane! Our glass is full of slops and with a fag-end floating in it; it also has a crack in it, from which the heart of this Club is rapidly dribbling out. 

"Looking at the table and resent form we can still finish high in the table..." Do you mean the form that hasn''t seen us win in 2006 and culminated in a last-gasp draw against an awful Hull team yesterday?  

"...succsess does not come overnight." Oh, right - I''d best tell Adie Boothroyd that, whose team is on the verge of making it into  automatic promotion place.

"Newall as manager? how far ahead are Luton?" He has them 5 places higher up the table than us in his first season in the Championship; also, Worthington has had funds for players that Mike Newell can only dream of.

"...why let another team benifit from the experiance worthy is now gaining?" Oh yes, yes, please let another team benefit from his "experience"! Experience does NOT necessarily equate to wisdom or an increase in ability. In Worthington''s case, it means making the same mistakes over and over again.

"...hey, I want to go to Colchester and Southend next year anyway." With a post like the above, the only place you''ll be going anytime soon is Hellesdon Hospital.  

[/quote]

Exactly what i was going to say but you said it so much better!

you talk about shackell and jarvis as good long term solutions, glad you notice because there so much used under worthy aren''t they?

Top 2 was a realistic expectation, top 6 I could deal with, but THIS season so far?  Total failure, I cannot see any plus points at all, not even the emergence of some players for the future. We look under motivated, tactically unaware & generally shambolic. City till I die. 

We have been unbelievably poor so far this season under Worthy''s mismanagement. The point was reached some time ago when Worthy should have been waved goodbye. It''s high time a new man was brought in to freshen the whole place up with some new ideas, and maybe even, some slick passing football again! To answer your question, if we finish 8th I would regard this as an underachievement and very, very disappointing.

just to point out, to the original post, Drury was also in the prem side, along with safs, and Ashton, who we had for half of prem season. and also fleming was in and out of the team, as was the doc. as were shacks and mckenzie who  have admittedly been injured most of season. so thats actually 8 players who had a few games in prem. and the majority of the squad players were here too, eg mcveigh, brennan (now departed but was here for half a season).

[quote user="westoncanary."]Top 2 was a realistic expectation, top 6 I could deal with, but THIS season so far?  Total failure, I cannot see any plus points at all, not even the emergence of some players for the future. We look under motivated, tactically unaware & generally shambolic. City till I die. [/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head for me Weston.  I could handle this season if I could see that Worthy was building for the future but I can''t see it.  We have signed precious few players with potential this year and signings like Robinson, Thorne and Hughes are not going to improve over the coming seasons.

Add to that the short-term loan signings and we look to have a team that is going no where.  I have nothing against JJ2 or Rehman but unless we are going to sign them there just seems no point in bringing them in.  I would rather see our own younger players being groomed for next season rather than loans signings making up the numbers.  Shackell should be given until the end of the season to get a partnership together with the Doc.

We have signed too many Championship journeymen and I can''t help but feel that the mentality before the season kicked off was that it wouldn''t matter because Hux and Ashton would do the damage and there was no need to spend too much.

for me position is less important than  the fact we have a

unbalanced squad thats playing the most uncommitted unnattractive

football ive wittnessed in years.

if anyone suggested top 8 would be a good finishing place at the end of the season, they''d have been laughed off the board. 8th looks good from where we are now, but given the present level of performance bottom 8 looks more realistic. 

in responce yes sorry forgot about Drury, however the others barly played half a season between them other than Ashton, but boy he was commited to norwich''s couses this season.!!!

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]in responce yes sorry forgot about Drury, however the others barly played half a season between them other than Ashton, but boy he was commited to norwich''s couses this season.!!![/quote]

yeah worthy has reallty got the best out of the players this year... Deano was loving our hoofball almost as much as earny is at the moment...