jonnyace1

Strikers on a potential free transfer this summer

57 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is exactly what I think we will be doing.

There isn't many standout options from the Championship this year- Toney feels like he'd cost more than we'd spend. Adam Armstrong has scored a good few but I don't have a great view on what his all-round game is like. 

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Who is this we? 

Ah the delusional pinkun forum cuckoo crew. 

Rhodes is weak in the tackle, in the air, at tracking back, and influencing a game over ninety minutes. Everything pukki is good at. 

As evidenced by the fact Rhodes has been a bench warmer for the past four years. 

The obsession with him is based on some weird love in rather than any footballing reality. 

Which describes pretty much everything the regulars here post. 

Not exactly sure which Pukki you've watched for last three years but the point you made (highlighted) does certainly NOT apply to the Pukki who has played for us! 'Good in the air' - really??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonnyace1 said:

Dwight Gayle and Jordan Rhodes are both in last 6 months of contract- both could leave on a free this summer. If neither agree contract extensions we should snap them both up. If we can agree sensible wages with Gayle, he would start most games for me. With pukki and hugill, our striker options are full with no transfer fees required potentially.

Although pukki has 17 goals, he hasn’t been overly clinical. He could have had a hat trick at the weekend and four last night. His second last night was a stroke of luck. His first on the other hand was a great finish. Woeful penalty on other hand. I hope he scores in every game up to end of season- gets golden boot and proves me wrong.

If we go up (if not when!), I would send Idah and Soto on loan and have Hugill as 4th choice. That just leaves defence and midfield...

I'm not against a Rhodes return, if cheap, but mainly in almost a Tettey type cameo role, to use his experience in the last few minutes to win free kicks etc and as a last throw of the dice 

Idah reminds me of Harry kane when he was here, think a season loan somewhere is needed so we definitely need a genuine alternative to Pukki 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Oh god, take out the insults and I actually agree with you...

Apart from the Pukkis good in the  air bit.

I think if at the end of the season we have secured promotion, then we will then see the great deal of work our scouting team are doing now and also what this group has learnt. As fans we have seen our club go up and make mistakes in the past that have cost us, and Webber himself said some of the moves last year did not work. Of course not every move can work out but I really feel we will be looking at some very good additions, if Gibson and Dimi are examples of the calibre then it is a good step up.

We have a group of 4 strikers, with the GOAT, carrying the load due to injuries and our style of play. Idah is a player who will get on a little scoring run we have seen him be in the right place, show strength, desire and an ability to shoot. Hugill has found the net and has improved in performances, certainly he will be a squad player for next year. Soto, looks to be a real natural finisher, poise, great balance and read of the game. He will be learning from the other 3 and his ceiling is potentially very high.

I expect a striker, a centre half (in addition to Gibson), a defensive midfielder (could be skipp on loan again but I think unlikely as Spurs will want to play him) and potentially a number 10 - sounds similar to the last promotion really. Of course this does not account for any of our talent leaving.

We cannot make the same mistakes as years gone by and quite happy for a player who has done it previously and has age and experience on his side. We can have youngsters that are here to improve but some wise heads can help the camp.

But of course the season is not over and Dowell, Hugill etc may show masses of improvement. We are building something here and Dimi, Placheta, Onel and others will all be ready to unleashed in the premier league with new vigour. Finally of course we are not up yet so let the boys prove it now and keep on gaining points and develop into better players.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Oh god, take out the insults and I actually agree with you...

I agreed with him too, its a sad day 

5 hours ago, king canary said:

I don't think we'll be getting any 'proven' strikers at this level to be honest- I think we'll either be looking at someone from abroad or someone from the Championship. Someone to push Pukki for his starting place and not just be a bench warmer ala Drmic and I don't see Hugill being that.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is exactly what I think we will be doing.

Just to add, at the risk of repeating an unwelcome truth, if we are promoted then Brexit will limit the kind of player we can pick up from Europe. The more a player is an undiscovered gem the less likely we are to get a visa for them. If we do want a new striker with the aim of them pushing for a starting place we may well have to break our transfer record, and by some margin.

We are not going to be buying a 30 million striker. Ivan Toney who is unproved at premier level might well sell for that. Norwich is a yo-yo club currently . We need lower premium- top championship style players if we get promoted. Unless the club finds a South American superstar we may need to look for bargains. If we sell cantwell, Aarons and Buendia this summer we might get 100 million but you know the club won’t spend that to replace them and other positions. Replacing emi will be the hardest and may need some serious cash to get anyone half comparable 

6 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Who is this we? 

Ah the delusional pinkun forum cuckoo crew. 

Rhodes is weak in the tackle, in the air, at tracking back, and influencing a game over ninety minutes. Everything pukki is good at. 

As evidenced by the fact Rhodes has been a bench warmer for the past four years. 

The obsession with him is based on some weird love in rather than any footballing reality. 

Which describes pretty much everything the regulars here post. 

I don’t know why you felt the need to respond to my post like this - in answer to the question I merely said he might be worth a look if we didn’t go up, nothing more. It hardly shows an ‘obsession’. And I doubt we’d go for him.

...actually, strike that, I do know why, it’s because you are a bit of an a-hole.

Edited by Branston Pickle

6 hours ago, horsefly said:

Speculating wildly, I can see us bringing in one or two from South America.

I'm currently in Argentina and the currency has absolutely tanked. Football clubs here will definitely welcome some foreign currency and we'd get a lot for our money (as I am right now!).

16 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

I'm currently in Argentina and the currency has absolutely tanked. Football clubs here will definitely welcome some foreign currency and we'd get a lot for our money (as I am right now!).

It does seem likely we’ll try to tap into that kind of market, but will be surely doing so along with many others.  Certainly the European route is much trickier now than it was.

12 hours ago, king canary said:

Rhodes again? Hugill is a far better option than him at this point.

I mean, I think signing Rhodes is a ridiculous idea if we win promotion.... but the awkward truth is that his 3 goals in 710 minutes this season in a very poor team isn't much different from Hugill's 4 goals in 751 minutes.

And like Hugill said when he arrived, he came to score goals and should be judged on his goals.

Dwight Gayle isn't a terrible idea as a squad player, somebody to bring on for Pukki etc, plus he's a don at Championship level if we go down again.

But Hugill will offer next to nothing in the Premier League, and that's the truth. 

3 hours ago, jonnyace1 said:

We are not going to be buying a 30 million striker. Ivan Toney who is unproved at premier level might well sell for that. Norwich is a yo-yo club currently . We need lower premium- top championship style players if we get promoted. Unless the club finds a South American superstar we may need to look for bargains. If we sell cantwell, Aarons and Buendia this summer we might get 100 million but you know the club won’t spend that to replace them and other positions. Replacing emi will be the hardest and may need some serious cash to get anyone half comparable 

Signing whatever striker Peterborough currently have is probably a good strategy, seeing as they've churned out Gayle, Assomblonga, Marriott, Toney and more.

Toney's replacement was Jonson Clarke-Harris, who is currently top scorer in League 1.

Peterborough have the magic touch with strikers.

Perhaps it is Clarke-Harris that we should be signing for £5m. 

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just to add, at the risk of repeating an unwelcome truth, if we are promoted then Brexit will limit the kind of player we can pick up from Europe. The more a player is an undiscovered gem the less likely we are to get a visa for them. If we do want a new striker with the aim of them pushing for a starting place we may well have to break our transfer record, and by some margin.

I’m wondering if we can start a “feeder club” relationship with a European team to help get around this? We send them our young talent to get them to earn some of the required points.

It was working so well with Leeds for a few years. 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It does seem likely we’ll try to tap into that kind of market, but will be surely doing so along with many others.  Certainly the European route is much trickier now than it was.

I think a marginal premier league side will struggle to attract players who have played enough international / top league games to qualify for a work permit.  Giannoulis only just qualified.  It will be interesting to see where we recruit from.

if we go up then Rhodes is nowhere near good enough... might as well have kept Carlton Morris than sign him. He did a job as back up last promotion so fair play to him for that buy he's not the answer.

We really need someone as good/better than Pukki to come in and challenge him rather than cheap out like we did with Drmic.

I wouldn't be averse to a loan deal though if we can secure some wonderkid like we have Skipp this season. That Liam Delap at Man City looks like he has a bit about him... wonder if he inherited his dad's throw ins 🤔

End of the day, we're gonna still be at the bottom of the list for attracting players though if we can offer more game time there is still quality players to be had, we just have to try harder.

I'd quite like a more physical threat as an alternative to Pukki to push Hugill as well who will be desperate to prove a point in the prem but probably can't be relied upon. Burnley seemed to manage to convert average looking championship strikers to decent prem strikers though when you look at Wood, Barnes and Vokes for them. That Diange fella at WBA looks to have made a little difference for them allbeit probably too late.

On 01/02/2021 at 23:14, daisy said:

Just signed for Luton on loan, how the mighty fall. Anyone remember his Father taking him over to Inter Milan and trying to convince them he was the next big thing. Billy big boots! Made me smile.

19 hours ago, king canary said:

Rhodes again? Hugill is a far better option than him at this point.

Totally, how would Rhodes offer any kind of progression? 

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I mean, I think signing Rhodes is a ridiculous idea if we win promotion.... but the awkward truth is that his 3 goals in 710 minutes this season in a very poor team isn't much different from Hugill's 4 goals in 751 minutes.

And like Hugill said when he arrived, he came to score goals and should be judged on his goals.

Dwight Gayle isn't a terrible idea as a squad player, somebody to bring on for Pukki etc, plus he's a don at Championship level if we go down again.

But Hugill will offer next to nothing in the Premier League, and that's the truth. 

True but in my opinion Hugill offers more overall than Rhodes. I think you can see a pattern with him this season- scores a goal, gets a start or two, offers nothing, dropped back to the bench. 

16 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Rhodes and Gayle?? I presume you're already planning next seasons relegation? 

I know, beggars belief doesn't it.

If we are to have any hope of surviving in the EPL we are going to have to break our transfer record once, twice maybe 3 times in the summer window. Even then there are no guarantees.

The prospect of us grubbing around 'has beens' and freebies is really not an option. 

Don't send Farke to war without a gun again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I know, beggars belief doesn't it.

If we are to have any hope of surviving in the EPL we are going to have to break our transfer record once, twice maybe 3 times in the summer window. Even then there are no guarantees.

The prospect of us grubbing around 'has beens' and freebies is really not an option. 

Don't send Farke to war without a gun again!

If etc, then I think we probably will break our transfer record, but not that many times. I suspect we will get one or two players in on loan who would also cost a record amount. The problem last time was that the three loan players, who would have cost many millions to buy, all failed.

• Like 1