GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Can we get away with resting a few on Sunday,for Brentford?

On paper, vs the bottom team would represent an ideal chance to do this, moreso when Brentford will have an extra days rest on us before the game next Wednesday

My instincts and suspicion is that we won't and would be tempting fate if we did....but the temptation might be there??

Hopefully not, points on the board and all that.

Think we should go for the jugular and worry about Brentford aftewards. 

Don’t think DF would rest players as such, but some changes might not be a bad idea.

I was chatting to a Brentford supporting mate today, he said their form had started to dip a few games before they lost to Barnsley, despite drawing at Swansea and winning 4-1 at Reading, and it wasn’t that big a surprise; their run has coincided with a few injuries that may not be back until after we play, so he’s not expecting much from our game.  

Not for me. Full strength. Wycombe just showed they are no pushovers and if our home game was anything to go by we should be taking them seriously. I think we have 6 games before the International break so the likes of Buendia and Gibson will get a break. I presume the other 9 that started will all get call up’s though. 

Normally I'd expect to see some rotation. Onel, Rupp and Sorensen I feel would welcome some minutes- I might even suggest Pukki for Hugill if the former wasn't in such electric form.

That being said, Farke likes to stick with winning sides so I imagine it'll be as you were. Can't help but feel we could get more out of Vrancic's position at the moment, though.

I wouldn't expect any changes except GIbson returning if fit. 

Early kick off Sunday makes a big difference, players getting home early Sunday evening and then a full 3 days before a home game. Very different to say a Weds night game before a Saturday fixture when you may not be home until the wee hours Thursday and then only have a proper training programme Friday before the game. 

I'd put Vrancic on the bench and bring him on with 20 to go. Worked last time against Wycombe.

• Like 1

Just go and wi. The Wycombe game, another vital 3 points would take us to 70 after 33, that would leave us needing 6 or maybe 7 wins out of 13 to go up. The Brentford game will look after itself, the players will be up for that big time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd put Vrancic on the bench and bring him on with 20 to go. Worked last time against Wycombe.

I do wonder whether Vrancic used up his last chance tonight...ineffective again and this time subbed unusually early.

He does seem to be more effective late in a game when coming off the bench to then to unlock a defence...and when he starts he's invariably taken off for these last minutes where he'd be at his most effective.

Cantwell in the middle with Hernandez on the left deserves another outing but ultimately I think Farke would play Steipermann there if he were fit now...

• Like 1

Can't see it happening. 3 points are 3 points, so it doesn't make sense to risk changing a side on a 4 match winning streak when it doesn't guarantee a better result against Brentford anyway.

I think based on tonight's performance we might see a change or two. Gibson has to come back if available, and I'd welcome Hernandez on the left for Vrancic and Cantwell in the centre. 

But nothing in the way of wholesale changes, and the fact we have a 5 day rest until the next game, then a full week's rest until Brentford gives us a bit more leeway - in terms of this season anyway!

If we have 2 (3) full days rest until Brentford then Farke should pick his strongest team, Wycome are no pushovers ... as tonight v Reading proved.

Edited by Surfer

Vrancic for me has to be dropped. Doesnt do enough with the ball and withoutvitvis slow and ponderous.  Dowell in. Hernandez was subbed after coming on last night. Is he injured again ?

11 minutes ago, Paint Me Yellow said:

Wycombe beat 5th-placed Reading last night.

I wouldn't assume our match on Sunday to be enough of a foregone conclusion to start putting out fringe players.

But I fancy a game!

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Vrancic for me has to be dropped. Doesnt do enough with the ball and withoutvitvis slow and ponderous.  Dowell in. Hernandez was subbed after coming on last night. Is he injured again ?

Think it was more to do with Hugill's height as Brum had a set-piece, and Hugill won the defensive header. Hernandez isn't going to win you many of those.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Not for me. Full strength. Wycombe just showed they are no pushovers and if our home game was anything to go by we should be taking them seriously. I think we have 6 games before the International break so the likes of Buendia and Gibson will get a break. I presume the other 9 that started will all get call up’s though. 

Buendia will get his break the next time he is sent off.....  😉

Go balls out for a win against Wycombe, then that heaps more pressure on Brentford to come at us. 

If we can beat Wycombe, then Brentford is almost a free hit, in terms of them having to try and win the game. That is when we are at our best. If we control the ball, they'll have to play bloody well to beat us. 4 points from these next 2 games would be awesome, but even getting 3 would not derail our season.

Brentford have to beat us, we don't have to beat them.

• Like 2

Might be tempted to bring Gibbo back in for Zimbo if he's fit, but no changes otherwise. I thought Mario was a bit brighter yesterday, personally. If he's tiring after an hour, make the same change again because Onel looked very hungry!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canarycop said:

Hernandez was the victim of the "extra-time" time wasting substitutions. Vrancic put Pukki through which led to the penalty - if this was a day where one goal wins it - he did what he was suppose to do - setup a goal. Hernandez made a statement with his 20 minute appearance - Dowell in (the under 23's)

Agree with a lot here, yesterday was a possible banana skin against a well drilled team.

If Gibson is fit he comes straight back in. We have had that discussion when our 'better' players come back or are ready to be in contention. He hasn't out too long just hope he is back for Brentford.

You for the 3 points with Wycombe and this not resting a player. We can rest and change up players later in the season when more points are on board and their are less games to go. You do not want to lose momentum and I also feel teams will begin to feel beaten before the start of the game soon.

If we look fragile or indecisive that presence leaves us. That is what we want to create, doubt, fear and a beaten opposition before the game starts.

Keep the games coming and keep going guys

Its tempting to think of giving a couple a bit of a rest. They do need it.

And I don't think bringing in Rupp or Hernandez would weaken the team.

And I think Vrancic has looked under par for a while. So I would like to see

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis

Skipp MacLean

Buendia Cantwell Henandez

Pukki

There’s changes because of form and changes to give a rest. Vrancic possibly could drop out of the team but for Onel rather than Dowell who hasn’t done anywhere near enough to force the change. Gibson clearly needs to come back in when fit.

As for resting the players well I just don’t see the evidence for it on the pitch. Calls on here for Skipp to be rested yet there he is running the whole length of the pitch in the 90th minute to support the break for our third goal. I’m sure if players were tiring to the point that their stamina was dropping off then our sports scientists who know. 

• Like 1

The more pressure we put on Brentford before the game, the more desperate they will be to get 3 points, that reduces their tactical flexibility and gives us more chance of forcing a win or a draw. That's especially the case if we get an early goal.

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Go balls out for a win against Wycombe, then that heaps more pressure on Brentford to come at us. 

If we can beat Wycombe, then Brentford is almost a free hit, in terms of them having to try and win the game. That is when we are at our best. If we control the ball, they'll have to play bloody well to beat us. 4 points from these next 2 games would be awesome, but even getting 3 would not derail our season.

Brentford have to beat us, we don't have to beat them.

Sorry, just realised I basically repeated this!

Strongest starting 11 we can put on. Smash em! We have to bear in mind Swansea have 3 games in hand so we aren't as ahead as we seem 

• Like 1

Nothing crazy but I think Gibson, Hernandez and Rupp might be pushing for some more minutes. I don't think swapping those three in for Zimbo, Cantwell and McLean weakens us hugely.