Sign in to follow this  
CobblersCanary

How much will it cost..

6 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

The way to replace Emi is keep him. Pay him £100,000 a week. To replace him, like-for-like you'd need to find a 23 year old International attacking midfielder. you might have to pay £50m and pay him £120,000  a week. All for the privilege of not caming up against Emi next season. Still, there will be 3 teams going down this year. I'm sure there will be some journeymen in there that'll fit the bill. A sort of Naismith, Brady or Jarvis. 

There are probably 20 clubs out there who have their own Emi who believe they are doomed if a club like Norwich come in with a £10m offer. We were doomed according to some when we sold Maddison and even the Murphy's and Pritchard. We picked up Giannoulis for £6m who is still getting up to speed but already looks a very good player, there are plenty more out there.

Yes Emi is clearly very difficult to replace but as I said, using the money to replace him plus upgrading other positions means we could net benefit if we find the right players.

On 24/02/2021 at 00:50, Downloads said:

Main issue for me is... if we play 4-2-3-1 still.

Cantwell and Emi go.

If Placheta, Argos, Stiepi, Vrancic and Dowell aren't the answer, then we need a lot of players...

If we get promoted, for me we will also need...

a RB to replace Aarons

CB as Hanley isn't good enough

DCM as Kenny isn't good enough and hope we can get Tottenham to loan us Skipp again

Only my opinions, nobody get mad...

Completely agree with you.   This team is good because of the collective, not the individual quality.    We don’t have the volume of players good enough for promotion..... if we lose Max, Emi and poss Todd, it’s going to need a complete overhaul!    Can’t see Skipp coming back either, especially if we lose those better players.   

That’s either quite an expense or we are looking at another very traumatic season!    Why we should be getting Sorensen, Mumba, Idah and Martin  some experience.   

4 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Why we should be getting Sorensen, Mumba, Idah and Martin  some experience.   

But how do you do that? Is there a team going for promotion that doesn't field what they deem to be their best eleven? All these players have had some first team experience, but only when they have fulfilled the "best eleven" requirement (due to injury, fatigue, or lack of form to players ahead of them in that respect). It would be reckless, and extremely arrogant, to "weaken" the team for the sake of getting players further experience. The example of Sorensen is very pertinent; I love the guy, and think he performed really well for us, but I think it's undeniable that Giannoulis is the superior left-back option. Similarly, he's not going to get ahead of Skipp as the defensive midfielder. In an ideal world the players you mention go out on loan to gain that experience, but quite obviously they have remained at City to provide the needed depth of player resources. 

Simply put, Farke will never start a game with a team that he doesn't think constitutes the best eleven players to win that particular match. 

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

Simply put, Farke will never start a game with a team that he doesn't think constitutes the best eleven players to win that particular match. 

Nobody can argue with that Horsey 

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

But how do you do that? Is there a team going for promotion that doesn't field what they deem to be their best eleven? All these players have had some first team experience, but only when they have fulfilled the "best eleven" requirement (due to injury, fatigue, or lack of form to players ahead of them in that respect). It would be reckless, and extremely arrogant, to "weaken" the team for the sake of getting players further experience. The example of Sorensen is very pertinent; I love the guy, and think he performed really well for us, but I think it's undeniable that Giannoulis is the superior left-back option. Similarly, he's not going to get ahead of Skipp as the defensive midfielder. In an ideal world the players you mention go out on loan to gain that experience, but quite obviously they have remained at City to provide the needed depth of player resources. 

Pick and choose which part of the point you want to argue!!!!   The last para goes hand in hand with the rest of the post.   The majority of our squad isn’t good enough for the EPL so if we go up and we’ve sold most of our talent what do we do without enough young players ready to go?    Last time we had Max, Ben, Jamal and Todd coming through with a full season of top level experience and they were our better performers in the EPL.... we don’t have that now...... for me you can’t start EPL games and expect to win with any of McLean, Tettey, Rupp, Vrancic, Steipermann, Dowell, Hugill, Platcheta, Zimmermann .... our younger prospects aren’t ready this time.     We’ve no adequate backup forward, no CDM of note, we aren’t ready for promotion so what do you suggest?     

This isn’t a criticism, I have no problem with the club and how we go about things but am concerned about next season....and the subsequent effects it will have on everyone if we can’t compete again!    Will Farke / Webber stay etc... that they can’t progress it further?   

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Pick and choose which part of the point you want to argue!!!!   The last para goes hand in hand with the rest of the post.   The majority of our squad isn’t good enough for the EPL so if we go up and we’ve sold most of our talent what do we do without enough young players ready to go?    Last time we had Max, Ben, Jamal and Todd coming through with a full season of top level experience and they were our better performers in the EPL.... we don’t have that now...... for me you can’t start EPL games and expect to win with any of McLean, Tettey, Rupp, Vrancic, Steipermann, Dowell, Hugill, Platcheta, Zimmermann .... our younger prospects aren’t ready this time.     We’ve no adequate backup forward, no CDM of note, we aren’t ready for promotion so what do you suggest?     

This isn’t a criticism, I have no problem with the club and how we go about things but am concerned about next season....and the subsequent effects it will have on everyone if we can’t compete again!    Will Farke / Webber stay etc... that they can’t progress it further?   

My point remains exactly the same; there's no way Farke won't play his best eleven, just like every other team chasing promotion. Your point about Max, Ben, Jamal, and Todd is true, but it is also true that they were a part of the best eleven players at the time they played. Like it or not, we don't have a set of players in reserve currently challenging the current 11 (save perhaps a challenger for the no.10 position). No competent manager is going to risk maximising his chance of winning promotion by playing "inferior" players to satisfy some longer term strategy about a prospect that might not come to pass as a result of such risk-taking. I'm afraid I have no suggestions to offer presently as there are no present solutions to the problems you raise, that's simply the lot of being a club the size of Norwich. Yes that puts us at a big disadvantage compared to other premier league teams (assuming we get promoted); but there is no alternative option other than to suck it up and do the best we can with the resources we have. At least with Farke and Webber we have two of the best in the business at getting the most out of limited resources, and I have no doubt they are working hard on those issues as we speak. Accordingly I would recommend that all fans simply suspend any concerns they have about our future prospects in the premier league next season (fingers crossed), as there really is nothing we can do about that. Much better to relax and enjoy the excellent promotion push that is currently underway. Promotion is the overwhelming priority.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

My point remains exactly the same; there's no way Farke won't play his best eleven, just like every other team chasing promotion. Your point about Max, Ben, Jamal, and Todd is true, but it is also true that they were a part of the best eleven players at the time they played. Like it or not, we don't have a set of players in reserve currently challenging the current 11 (save perhaps a challenger for the no.10 position). No competent manager is going to risk maximising his chance of winning promotion by playing "inferior" players to satisfy some longer term strategy about a prospect that might not come to pass as a result of such risk-taking. I'm afraid I have no suggestions to offer presently as there are no present solutions to the problems you raise, that's simply the lot of being a club the size of Norwich. Yes that puts us at a big disadvantage compared to other premier league teams (assuming we get promoted); but there is no alternative option other than to suck it up and do the best we can with the resources we have. At least with Farke and Webber we have two of the best in the business at getting the most out of limited resources, and I have no doubt they are working hard on those issues as we speak. Accordingly I would recommend that all fans simply suspend any concerns they have about our future prospects in the premier league next season (fingers crossed), as there really is nothing we can do about that. Much better to relax and enjoy the excellent promotion push that is currently underway. Promotion is the overwhelming priority.

It appears we don't disagree too much on this - just I am looking longer term, you shorter!   Farke will go with what he perceives his best team, I agree....I'm not arguing that point, but by doing so, is it making us more vulnerable if we succeed this season.   Many argue the case about the No.10 position and who partners Skipp in the middle as being our weak areas.     IMO giving Idah, Dowell or Martin minutes instead of Vrancic or Steipermann will not impact the team performance negatively and that Sorensen could be as good as McLean and Rupp right now (but potentially a lot better given some game time).    Is it worth the risk to close a couple of the quality gaps?    

Promotion is the overwhelming priority you suggest?   Not if we aren't anywhere near ready its not....  Plenty on here seem to think staying in the Championship is more enjoyable / preferable and there are arguments either way!   Financially yes, but what if we sell Max, Emi and Todd, the players lose belief in our prospects and confidence in each other (like what happened when the day before that infamous restart, they found out they had to play out the last 10 games with only 3 fit defenders), or Farke gets an offer he can't refuse recognising how tough it will be to compete next year.... there's not enough quality in the current side to entice Emi, Todd and Max to stay!   Hopefully, the club is aware and are making significant plans to address the issues we are going to face..... it's going to be an expensive summer and whilst we will have some money, there is still a dilemma as they will want to maintain a sensible wage structure that is fair to all the players.    Spending £8 - £10m on a player means expensive wages out of sync with the existing contracts.... and the associated problems that causes!!!!   

Does anyone honestly see us being competitive next season without Emi, Max (possibly Todd) and Olly Skipp, or at least 6-8 (probably more) new starters!