Sign in to follow this  
CobblersCanary

How much will it cost..

..to replace Emi. I'd love him to stay but realistically he's going. We get 40 mill for him hopefully. Will we spend all that? I sincerely doubt it. Or will we just do what we always do and attempt to buy a a couple of cheap options to cover his position. I know this is a depressingly pessimistic thread but it bothers me. 

1 minute ago, CobblersCanary said:

Yeah ok. Well Madders went for 20 mill but I take your point. Maybe things are in the pipeline already. In Webber we trust.

Maybe there are things in the pipeline? Maybe we are promoted and Emi stays? 

However we won't spend 40 million on a player even if we get that for Emi. Which I very much doubt will happen.

I love Emi, do we really think we will get 40M?

In the current market Ahmad Diallo was £37M, and Benrahma was £20M.

I thought it was possible if a side was desperate enough in the January window, but in the summer will he fetch that much?

• Like 1

Can strengthen more across the team then. Another centre-half and a proven Premiership box-to-box midfielder would be gettable with £40 million wallet-sized queenies, I would think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can strengthen more across the team then. Another centre-half and a proven Premiership box-to-box midfielder would be gettable with £40 million wallet-sized queenies, I would think.

But can we replace that X Factor Emi gives us with a couple of half decent signings? I dunno but I really hope so. Although tbh I never thought we'd replace Madders 😆

8 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I love Emi, do we really think we will get 40M?

In the current market Ahmad Diallo was £37M, and Benrahma was £20M.

I thought it was possible if a side was desperate enough in the January window, but in the summer will he fetch that much?

It's a good point. I feel we'll try and push it to 40 but knowing us it'll be between 30 and 40. Maybe add on based.

I think being a realist we will lose Emi, Aarons and Cantwell (Unless we offer him a decent contract).

High hopes for Mumba as an eventual replacement, but not sure the other 2 are within our ranks, have to go back to our trusty scouts.

Replacement for Emi, plus a big upgrade at number 10. I think after last season Webber owes Farke some real strengthening.

It's going to be truly fascinating to watch how Webber copes with losing Max, Emi and possibly Todd.

How replacements as good as them can be coaxed to join a promoted team unlikely to offer attractive wages looks like mission impossible!

I was thinking the opposite, it's the best chance to pick up young talented attacking midfielder types, the lure of the prem

Main issue for me is... if we play 4-2-3-1 still.

Cantwell and Emi go.

If Placheta, Argos, Stiepi, Vrancic and Dowell aren't the answer, then we need a lot of players...

If we get promoted, for me we will also need...

a RB to replace Aarons

CB as Hanley isn't good enough

DCM as Kenny isn't good enough and hope we can get Tottenham to loan us Skipp again

Only my opinions, nobody get mad...

Welcome to being a club with similar problems to a club like Ajax...Emi Buendia wasn’t a £20 million player when he came here, and neither was Todd Cantwell, or James Maddison. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Welcome to being a club with similar problems to a club like Ajax...Emi Buendia wasn’t a £20 million player when he came here, and neither was Todd Cantwell, or James Maddison. 

So true Surfero, Ajax are by far the best run  club in Holland .....as are we in the Championship. 

Will we play them in 2022 as we did in 2002 and 2012? Hope so , its an interesting pre season friendly.

Of course we will never spend £40m on a player because £40m players also command a £40m players wages, and we will never be in a position to do that. Our policy is clearly to "gamble" on buying raw talent and turning a significant number of those players into genuine potential stars. This "self-sustaining" model is the only plausible alternative to enticing a "sugar daddy" billionaire to splash wads of cash and hope that he/she doesn't turn out to be a fickle dilettante or crook like so many have proven to be.

What really concerns me is that brexit has stuffed us. We replaced Maddison with Buendia; that would now be impossible under the rules enforced by brexit. I know that the club have been proactive in setting up scouting networks in non-European countries  but a massive market that has been so productive for us has now been wiped out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Downloads said:

Main issue for me is... if we play 4-2-3-1 still.

Cantwell and Emi go.

If Placheta, Argos, Stiepi, Vrancic and Dowell aren't the answer, then we need a lot of players...

If we get promoted, for me we will also need...

a RB to replace Aarons

CB as Hanley isn't good enough

DCM as Kenny isn't good enough and hope we can get Tottenham to loan us Skipp again

Only my opinions, nobody get mad...

I’m starting to see a few posts saying that Hanley isn’t good enough for the PL. Personally I think the evidence has been different, when he came back after injury last season *and got match-fit* our defence improved significantly. And he has undeniably been a rock this season too. Let’s give him a chance before getting on his back. 

My confident prediction is that we’ll start with Hanley and Gibson next season if we do go up, there are many more urgent areas we need to upgrade.

• Like 5

The way to replace Emi is keep him. Pay him £100,000 a week. To replace him, like-for-like you'd need to find a 23 year old International attacking midfielder. you might have to pay £50m and pay him £120,000  a week. All for the privilege of not caming up against Emi next season. Still, there will be 3 teams going down this year. I'm sure there will be some journeymen in there that'll fit the bill. A sort of Naismith, Brady or Jarvis. 

• Like 1

Emi will go next Summer for maybe £35m + add ons.  Norwich will be favourites to go down again, maybe not favourites but in top 3, Emi will not want to waste another years in relegation where last time his stats were good but didn't impress.

Will not have finances to replace as many players as some want.  Need to go shopping in Championship or lower, Webber can hopefully find talented youngsters like Maddison, AArons and Godfrey but they needed first season to flourish so would not have been PL ready.  Will need PL ready players to come in and they will cost, so expect McLean and Hanley to appear in PL.

Marcondes being looked at apparently and Hamer looks a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Foxy2600 said:

The way to replace Emi is keep him. Pay him £100,000 a week. To replace him, like-for-like you'd need to find a 23 year old International attacking midfielder. you might have to pay £50m and pay him £120,000  a week. All for the privilege of not caming up against Emi next season. Still, there will be 3 teams going down this year. I'm sure there will be some journeymen in there that'll fit the bill. A sort of Naismith, Brady or Jarvis. 

I'd happily break our (apparently extremely rigid) wage structure to keep Emi.

No-one in the squad could argue that it wasn't fair that Emi was the highest paid player, and budgetary concerns aside, squad morale is the main argument for rigid wage structures, so offer him a new contract with the highest wage we can afford without going bust.

Edited by Orly

13 minutes ago, Orly said:

I'd happily break our (apparently extremely rigid) wage structure to keep Emi.

No-one in the squad could argue that it wasn't fair that Emi was the highest paid player, and budgetary concerns aside, squad morale is the main argument for rigid wage structures, so offer him a new contract with the highest wage we can afford without going bust.

The trouble is whatever we can offer him, there are many teams who can offer much more. On top of that, a number of those teams can offer the potential of european competition too. As much as I'd love to see it I'd be amazed if he kicks off next season with us.

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

Of course we will never spend £40m on a player because £40m players also command a £40m players wages, and we will never be in a position to do that. Our policy is clearly to "gamble" on buying raw talent and turning a significant number of those players into genuine potential stars. This "self-sustaining" model is the only plausible alternative to enticing a "sugar daddy" billionaire to splash wads of cash and hope that he/she doesn't turn out to be a fickle dilettante or crook like so many have proven to be.

What really concerns me is that brexit has stuffed us. We replaced Maddison with Buendia; that would now be impossible under the rules enforced by brexit. I know that the club have been proactive in setting up scouting networks in non-European countries  but a massive market that has been so productive for us has now been wiped out. 

Deary me.... “stuffed us” that sounds like an over reaction from someone obsessed by Brexit😉

Madders, Murphy, Murphy, Jamal, Gunny, Godfrey, Aaron’s Cantwell, etc etc.

Yes Brexit may well be an issue but don’t overplay the hand Horsey.

Think how much money we would have saved if we hadn’t bought Ricky. 

56 minutes ago, horsefly said:

The trouble is whatever we can offer him, there are many teams who can offer much more. On top of that, a number of those teams can offer the potential of european competition too. As much as I'd love to see it I'd be amazed if he kicks off next season with us.

Yeh fair enough.  Although in our favour is that - provided he keeps his nose clean attitude-wise - he's guaranteed 38 games in the premier next season (if all goes to plan!).

Regardless of the attractiveness of clubs in European competitions, I'll be disappointed if we don't at least TRY to keep him by offering our most lucrative contract ever to him.

• Like 1

I think the money is irrelevant. We know Emi is brilliant and to replace him will be luck. You could spend lots of money on a replacement and it doesn't work out.

It wouldn't be a risk keeping him so pay him more. Surely a star player is worth more in wages than a journeyman.

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m starting to see a few posts saying that Hanley isn’t good enough for the PL. Personally I think the evidence has been different, when he came back after injury last season *and got match-fit* our defence improved significantly. And he has undeniably been a rock this season too. Let’s give him a chance before getting on his back. 

My confident prediction is that we’ll start with Hanley and Gibson next season if we do go up, there are many more urgent areas we need to upgrade.

I agree with a lot of what you say, defence-wise he is a rock, but distribution-wise he is lacking.

If we want to make a good fist of staying up, we need someone who can transition quickly from defence to attack. Someone again like Ben Godfrey!

Again i think you are right though, if i was making a priority list, it wouldn't be the top of the list, AMs would be for me.

• Like 1