Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Farke talks about Placheta and his absence

Can't fault his effort and workrate, just needs to improve his end product but Hernandez had a similar issue during his first season here and has come on leaps and bounds, and I've no doubt Farke and his team can start getting the best out of him. He is only 22 so we don't want to burn him out. I think that just shows how well the club has done with Aarons and Cantwell, and even Godfrey and Jamal when they were here to look after and develop them. In Farke we trust!

I suspect, like Dowell, Farke will try and encourage him to perform when given the chance. They need to win their places after all in a side that is in good form again.

Interesting that his agent became involved, and was quickly rebuffed by Farke. Not clear if the player instigated that or not. I don't think that will have helped the situation at all. 

He has struck me as a very odd prospect so far this season, he is a young pacey winger, and nearly all such players I can remember at NCFC and elsewhere roughly show the same characteristics in their initial playing time: 

• Bags of pace 
  • Excellent dribbling and composure in 1v1 situations to beat their opponent
  • Takes risks in possession, sometimes looking pretty poor when they fail  
  • Very wayward end product
  • Tendency to drift in and out of games
  • Failure to do the defensive dirty work to the desired standard

I would file Redmond, both Murphy brothers and Hernandez (when he first joined) firmly under the above summary (and probably some others I've forgotten). 

Now Placheta for me is different in nearly all of the above.

• Pace - Has bags of pace, yes - but doesn't look like he knows how to use it to hurt the opposition
  • Dribbling / 1v1 composure - Really lacks composure in terms of dribbling, always looks like he is rushing / panicking to me
  • Risks in possession - Doesn't take many risks and often prefers to take the 'safe' option instead
  • End product - When given the chance IMO his crossing has been good - although his shooting less so 
  • Drifting in and out of games - Although he's had some poor games (particular the last couple), he's overall remained pretty involved at all times, he has a very good knack of finding himself in the box at the right time for a good chance (indeed he could've had a fair few goals this season despite very limited game time)
  • Defensive work - In comparison to his peers he has also been really solid with pressing and getting stuck in defensively 

So he seems to be weirdly polished (ho ho) in the areas of weakness I would usually highlight in other young pacey wingers. However, he does also fall a bit short for me in terms of technical ability and composure when dribbling... and I worry if that may be something that can't be trained into him at this stage.

If it could, then we would have some player!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Interesting that his agent became involved, and was quickly rebuffed by Farke. Not clear if the player instigated that or not. I don't think that will have helped the situation at all. 

The agent seemed to be backing Farke though, which is unusual for an agent when their client isn't playing. I'm not sure if the agent is maybe just angling for Farke to move for some more of his clients or if he's being genuine, but I doubt Farke would take too much offence to the agent's remarks, although of course he'd probably rather the agent didn't say anything.

The agent is right, though. Placheta is still very raw and I trust Farke in developing him. If we go up, I'd probably say that he needs a Championship loan for more regular playing time, but most fans (myself included) said the same thing two years ago about Cantwell, who wasn't even first choice in the promotion season, and look how that ended up.

45 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The agent seemed to be backing Farke though, which is unusual for an agent when their client isn't playing. I'm not sure if the agent is maybe just angling for Farke to move for some more of his clients or if he's being genuine, but I doubt Farke would take too much offence to the agent's remarks, although of course he'd probably rather the agent didn't say anything.

The agent is right, though. Placheta is still very raw and I trust Farke in developing him. If we go up, I'd probably say that he needs a Championship loan for more regular playing time, but most fans (myself included) said the same thing two years ago about Cantwell, who wasn't even first choice in the promotion season, and look how that ended up.

To be fair to the lad I thought just up until the time he got his injury he was then starting to play well, I think he'd just scored and won t least one penalty. He was also looking much stronger, but this injury seems to have knocked him back to square one.

The boy is apparently homesick and having a crisis of confidence in his ability to perform at this level. Hence his being withdrawn from the frontline for a bit.