Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

The New Lotus Banners.

16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

My memory seems to be telling me kg that we purchased them secondhand from somewhere and that is the reason for them not conforming to club colours.

I have heard this story before, and it is difficult to disprove, but:

• plastic seats were a new thing in 1975 and I am not sure where 6.000 second-hand ones would have come from.
  • the installation of the seats was an unpopular move and the "second-hand" rumour may just have been another dig at the club / Sir Arthur
  • I have never seen any plastic seats from that era that were not red or blue. Could it be that seats of any other colour were  difficult to obtain or prohibitively expensive? (look at Wolves' first modern stand, four years after the South Stand conversion)

wolverhampton-molineux-molineux-street-j

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Sat in the Arthut Wait with my OH that day. Awful game. Way before undersoil heating and played on a rock solid frozen pitch which wouldn't have been allowed today. Alan Taylor played and sustained a bad knee injury which kept him out for some time.

It was absolutely b*oody freezing and unsurprisingly my OH has never been to a game since.

It was freezing and it was a terrible game. Apart from thinking what an absolute toilet Selhurst Park was, my abiding memory is the little band of Norwich supporters being surrounded by Palace (and I think Charlton) supporters, all of a sudden the crowd parted as a group of about 30 lads made their way towards us, I heard the Palace/Charlton fans muttering "Millwall", fearing the worst imagine our relief when the Millwall fans joined us and the Charlton/Palace fans kept their distance...........

I believe the seats were from the East Stand at Stamford Bridge.  Can only assume that Chelsea decided to replace these with bright blue ones and they old red and dark blue seats were available.

East-Stand-Chelsea-70s.jpg