Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Bournemouth appoint Woodgate

Recommended Posts

Automatic has gone for them so I guess they are giving him the chance to aim for the playoffs. But that has now become harder with down to tenth in with a good chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this is relevant but weren't they one of the clubs last season who borrowed against future tv money? Perhaps continually promoting from within is all they can afford without breaking FFP rules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

A long spell in the 3rd tier looks likely for them.

with not a pot to pss in, and crippled with debt

this silly little club will soon return whence it came

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

 continually promoting from within is all they can afford without breaking FFP rules?

They gave Woodgate his coaching job just 2 days before they sacked Tindall, so perhaps they'd already decided he was their next manager at that point. 

But it does smack of being a cheap appointment, and no doubt Woodgate will be tasked with trying to sustain a decent team with a constantly shrinking budget, then will become the fall guy when it leaves them being a bottom third Championship side. 

No in demand / high profile manager is going to accept a job like that. 

Reckon they've got any players we might fancy if we get promotion? I like Billing as a defensive mid if we fail to land Skipp for another season, I'd probably rate our chances as 50/50 there?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm not sure if this is relevant but weren't they one of the clubs last season who borrowed against future tv money? Perhaps continually promoting from within is all they can afford without breaking FFP rules?

they borrowed against staged transfer payments via a scheme run by Macquarie, an Aus bank

that rather suggests their finances are at the binner level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And a 12K ground that they have done nothing with. 

A small compact ground with facilities in reasonable order in a pleasant area or so i have found in a couple of visits in recent years.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember being mocked on here for saying Bournemouth might struggle and end up becoming mediocre. Billionaire owner not saving them so far..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

AFC Bournemouth chief executive, Neill Blake, said: “Jonathan’s professionalism and leadership has impressed the board of directors since taking on the role of caretaker manager in difficult circumstances.

“The team’s performances and results have improved under his stewardship, and even our defeat at Queens Park Rangers on Saturday was a display which deserved a better result.

“As we head into a crucial part of the season, stability and clarity is of paramount importance for everyone at the club.

“With that in mind, and having concluded an extensive search for a new manager, we believe Jonathan is the best candidate to lead the team for the final 15 games of the season.”

They've gone from supposedly being inundated with interest and links to the likes of Thierry Henry, Frank Lampard and David Wagner, to appointing the caretaker who they had previously ruled out. Proper tinpot stuff indeed. Shades of "scouring Europe" in that last paragraph too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They gave Woodgate his coaching job just 2 days before they sacked Tindall, so perhaps they'd already decided he was their next manager at that point. 

But it does smack of being a cheap appointment, and no doubt Woodgate will be tasked with trying to sustain a decent team with a constantly shrinking budget, then will become the fall guy when it leaves them being a bottom third Championship side. 

No in demand / high profile manager is going to accept a job like that. 

Reckon they've got any players we might fancy if we get promotion? I like Billing as a defensive mid if we fail to land Skipp for another season, I'd probably rate our chances as 50/50 there?

Hope you're right, Billing is a good solid player who chips in with the odd goal. And he's big which is what we lacked last time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is only until the end of the season. I suspect that if he doesn't get them promoted then they will let him go, in the usual euphemistic parlance, and look for someone else, with some names that got mentioned coming back into the frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henry’s combined record as manager of Monaco and Montreal-Played 49, Won 13, Drawn 9, Lost 27. That’s pretty poor 🤣🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're owned by a Russian with plenty of £.

May have a small stadium but there's plenty of cash behind them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hope you're right, Billing is a good solid player who chips in with the odd goal. And he's big which is what we lacked last time 

I've always thought he is a touch lazy and doesn't contribute what he should. I wouldn't want him in a Norwich team - don't think he is good enough or the right attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Number9 said:

They're owned by a Russian with plenty of £.

May have a small stadium but there's plenty of cash behind them. 

just as there's 'plenty of cash' behind the binners

curiously, they are both weighed down with huge debts

odd that

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hope you're right, Billing is a good solid player who chips in with the odd goal. And he's big which is what we lacked last time 

I meant 50/50 on being able to get Skipp back if we get promoted? 

If we don't, I'd love Billing but don't know whether he'd fit into our strict wage structure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I've always thought he is a touch lazy and doesn't contribute what he should. I wouldn't want him in a Norwich team - don't think he is good enough or the right attitude.

Eh? Was 9th by distance covered out of all Premier League players in the Huddersfield season (season before last), and 14th last season with Bournemouth. The highest placed Norwich player was 24th, 

Never stops running, evidently. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

Glad Bournemouth didn't appoint Henry. the bloke is a cheat. 

Best footballer I've ever seen in the flesh- made it all look so easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is Woodgate permanent or just until the end of the season?

Maybe they are accepting their likelihood of promotion is looking slim and are now looking to rebuild for next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst appointment of the season. Lampard would have been the absolute choice for them but clearly they couldn't afford him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just until the end of the season - there are always far more managers available in the summer than mid season. Especially good idea to give a new manager a proper pre-season to work with the players if they are targeting someone like Terry or Henry who lack experience. 

They know the automatics aren’t happening this year but they are very likely to make the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...