Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yes he broke into the team a couple of months ago and saved Lennon from an all out riot from Celtic fans.

Quality player but he had no interest in playing for us, held out for the Celtic move. Doesn’t qualify as ‘one that got away’ for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Remember a couple of seasons back when we almost beat Celtic to the signing of a young player from Motherwell called David Turnbull who none of us had ever heard of. Here's how he's doing now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56141956

 

Yup remember him Thirsty- I think he was always going to Celtic to be fair . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes think about the near misses of recent years, David Coterill and Clinton Morrison being two that were apparently in the bag just for us to see them go to another team at the last minute. Thankfully there haven't been too many where I've felt we let someone truly exceptional slip through our fingers. Perhaps Siggurson when it was looking like we were trying to get him on deadline day under Hughton, just to miss out as Spurs couldn't get their replacement in first.. or so the story goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ah yes, hitting the heights in the strongest division in the world

Same division a certain James Maddison learnt his trade in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Club record fee turned down for Virgil Van ****. 

And in 1970 we offered Scunthorpe £25k for Kevin Keegan but they wanted £30k...... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Alderweireld was pretty close to signing wasn’t he?

Quagliarella? 😀

I think Alderweireld had a fee agreed but never seemed likely to sign our terms. Shame obviously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there was those who felt they could do better elsewhere

Seals, something - Wolves

Middleton (?) - Rangers

Edited by Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Club record fee turned down for Virgil Van ****. 

And in 1970 we offered Scunthorpe £25k for Kevin Keegan but they wanted £30k...... 

 

Re VVD Phrase used by the Club was that we were gazumped . I think we got very close . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

And in 1970 we offered Scunthorpe £25k for Kevin Keegan but they wanted £30k...... 

 

It that true? Genuinely  Interested  , I was only 8 at the time so wouldn't remember. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

It that true? Genuinely  Interested  , I was only 8 at the time so wouldn't remember. 

My Dad died in the 1990's. It was the habit of his generation to line wooden drawers with newspaper. 

I was clearing clothes and found an old Sunday Express which had details of the offer in the transfer titbits section. So it may or may not be true but the speculation was generally more accurate in those days. I have a nasty feeling that Ron Ashman was their manager at the time. 

My sister thought I was upset over clearing the clothes but thankfully she doesn't read this forum 😂

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And when Celtic sell him to Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona or PSG for £40 million in a couple of years time, will there be posters on here highlighting their lack of ambition as a club???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My Dad died in the 1990's. It was the habit of his generation to line wooden drawers with newspaper. 

I was clearing clothes and found an old Sunday Express which had details of the offer in the transfer titbits section. So it may or may not be true but the speculation was generally more accurate in those days. I have a nasty feeling that Ron Ashman was their manager at the time. 

My sister thought I was upset over clearing the clothes but thankfully she doesn't read this forum 😂

Great  story  !!  Totally backs up the     " No Hambition " Agenda .

You found a whole new , though old ,  ...seasoned perhaps ,  Stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't someone put a leaked email on here;

An email sent by a scout to someone senior at the club.

If my memory's right it was during Bryan Gunns short tenure.

And it was highlighting the talen and availabilty of Robert Lewandowski?

Apparently he wasn't fancied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Didn't someone put a leaked email on here;

An email sent by a scout to someone senior at the club.

If my memory's right it was during Bryan Gunns short tenure.

And it was highlighting the talen and availabilty of Robert Lewandowski?

Apparently he wasn't fancied. 

Now that really has brought a tear to my eye 🇵🇱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill said:

there was those who felt they could do better elsewhere

Seals, something - Wolves

Middleton (?) - Rangers

What happened to him? I remember him giving an interview that made it appear that we'd really let one slip through our fingers "I feel sorry for the player they let go" or words to that effect was his description of events. Since then he seems to have really gone backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forst said:

What happened to him? I remember him giving an interview that made it appear that we'd really let one slip through our fingers "I feel sorry for the player they let go" or words to that effect was his description of events. Since then he seems to have really gone backwards.

Middleton is on loan, possibly at St Mirren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Middleton is on loan, possibly at St Mirren

Wiki says St Johnstone. 

Moved to Rangers to follow Graeme Murty when he left us to take over at Rangers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Forst said:

What happened to him? I remember him giving an interview that made it appear that we'd really let one slip through our fingers "I feel sorry for the player they let go" or words to that effect was his description of events. Since then he seems to have really gone backwards.

In Josh Martin's interviews he's talked about how the academy coaches drilled into him the necessity of work rate and doing the defensive side of the game. Patrick Roberts is still a very talented footballer but both Farke and Neil Warnock have commented on how that side of his game is lacking.

Glenn Middleton is a player with a great deal of natural talent. The transfer happened a few months after Weaver & Webber shook up the academy, Lewis and Maddison were in the first team and Middleton felt he should be in the first team squad, something the club didn't agree with.

Webber version here

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Yup remember him Thirsty- I think he was always going to Celtic to be fair . 

Yeah sure. I think Turnbull actually said how impressed he was with the effort we made to get him and with everything he saw when he came to look round the club - but as a Celtic fan from boyhood he was always going to go there in the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Club record fee turned down for Virgil Van ****. 

And in 1970 we offered Scunthorpe £25k for Kevin Keegan but they wanted £30k...... 

 

Wow! I never knew that about Keegan, thanks for sharing that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calum Wilson who didn’t want to come here to be on the bench even though we were offering more than Bournemouth were paying him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Club record fee turned down for Virgil Van ****. 

And in 1970 we offered Scunthorpe £25k for Kevin Keegan but they wanted £30k...... 

 

Far too expensive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Great  story  !!  Totally backs up the     " No Hambition " Agenda .

You found a whole new , though old ,  ...seasoned perhaps ,  Stick.

What’s the   “No Hambiton” agenda WC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...