Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

The new Makelele

It's not easy for a defensive midfielder to stand out in the hurly-burly of the Championship, which makes Oliver Skipp's ever more authoritative displays so exceptional. We could even be lauding him as the Player of the Season in a few months time. 

I thought he was the new Tettey, but it turns out he's the new Claude Makelele 🙂

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 1

I know he's doing it in the championship but for a 20 yr old this lad has every chance of being a top top player and wouldn't be surprised to see him as a fixture in the england side for many years.

He plays with the composure of someone much older and more experienced.

55 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

I think just putting ‘The new Makelele’ would have been fine. Really no need for the white part. 

No problem, happy to oblige. 'The new Makelele' scans better, anyhow. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Im just disappointed you missed a trick on "Cracker-lele"

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Im just disappointed you missed a trick on "Cracker-lele"

Does anyone know if Skipp plays the ukelele?

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Does anyone know if Skipp plays the ukelele?

I, for one, would love to see Crackerlele on the ukelele

Skipp is my player of the season already.I know you'll all say how can I say that after 31 games and that Buendia is the player who makes us tick and gets all the rave headlines,but the main reason we are so much more resilient defensively is massively down to Skipps reading of and dealing with danger in front of the back four.Plus his desire to drive forward and get us on the front foot. For a twenty year old he has been hugely impressive. Would love to think that if we go up we could persuade him to stay and for Spurs to agree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pugin said:

Didn't take much at all for you to call me a homophobe, so I'm happy to call you a racist

7 minutes ago, daisy said:

Hardly racist ! 😕

Sure, I'm hardly a homophobe but he joined up some dots which weren't there and constructed a strawman argument to throw that word at me... and that was my point. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Unfortunately, the better Skipp plays, the less likely he’ll ever pull on another Norwich jersey once the season ends.

The mess Spurs are in at the moment ensures his recall ahead of next season.

For all Hanley and Gibson’s improvements, Skipp is the overwhelming reason why the defence is performing better than that of two seasons ago.

He will leave a massive hole in the team which the club will do well to fill.

On 21/02/2021 at 09:21, cambridgeshire canary said:

New Tettey? A solid, reliable player who loves this club, has been here longer than anyone else, is always ready to play, has a fantastic personality and is an all around nice guy?

Tettey is a wonderful servant and a dogged worker but we've needed to upgrade on him for at least two or three years now. 

Skipp is a fantastic all rounder, he has a good future ahead of him. 

I wonder, if we are unable to get him for another season from Spurs if we go up, whether it is worth another look at Harrison Reed currently at Fulham, should they get relegated. I always liked him for us and think he would fit back into Farke's plans quite well. I don't think he's as good as Skipp though so hoping we can get another year!

Can’t see much similarity between Skipp and Makelele apart from the fact they are both deemed ‘defensive midfielders’.

Makelele was exceptional at his role, but he barely ventured past the half way line and his passing was very limited. He was brilliant at anticipating where he needed to be and sniffing out attacks before they could even begin. I would argue that he and Skipp didn’t even play the same position as Makelele was nearly always in a deeper role just in front of the centre backs and generally had two more central midfielders in front of him. 

Skipp doesn’t have Makelele’s defensive nous quite yet, but is more of a two way midfielder (I’m not sure there is much space for a Makelele style midfielder in the modern game to be honest). 

If you want to compare Skipp to a French midfielder I’d say he’s more N’golo Kante - although probably not as mobile  

The player Skipp most reminds me of is Sven Bender who was excellent in Klopp’s Dortmund team working as part of the double pivot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Can’t see much similarity between Skipp and Makelele apart from the fact they are both deemed ‘defensive midfielders’.

Makelele was exceptional at his role, but he barely ventured past the half way line and his passing was very limited. He was brilliant at anticipating where he needed to be and sniffing out attacks before they could even begin. I would argue that he and Skipp didn’t even play the same position as Makelele was nearly always in a deeper role just in front of the centre backs and generally had two more central midfielders in front of him. 

Skipp doesn’t have Makelele’s defensive nous quite yet, but is more of a two way midfielder (I’m not sure there is much space for a Makelele style midfielder in the modern game to be honest). 

If you want to compare Skipp to a French midfielder I’d say he’s more N’golo Kante - although probably not as mobile  

The player Skipp most reminds me of is Sven Bender who was excellent in Klopp’s Dortmund team working as part of the double pivot. 

Sven and his brother were always excellent, low cost signings on old football managers too.