Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Be honest.

2 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

Nobody called you a moron. I called your position moronic. 

"Nobody asked you" it's an open question on an internet forum.

I wouldn't dare say it to your face, you've proved you're an ard boy with your reply. 

I 'm not 'ard as you say, believe me. But why would somebody who posts once a year come on here and insult? And the way I felt at the time I would have quite happily given you a roamin nose.

So pish off back where you came from so we can debate properly. You aren't welcome.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

I 'm not 'ard as you say, believe me. But why would somebody who posts once a year come on here and insult? And the way I felt at the time I would have quite happily given you a roamin nose.

So pish off back where you came from so we can debate properly. You aren't welcome.

Because there's a small portion of our fans that hold a silly position that deserves to be called out. 

Prem everyday. 

While it is fun to be at the top of the league. It is only fun because it is not the norm. It would only take one bad season in the Championship to see things potentially unravel very quickly for Norwich. 

No Prem promotions and then there is no Emi, Todd or Pukki. Those players are only at Norwich due to the prospect of Prem football. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Prem everyday. 

While it is fun to be at the top of the league. It is only fun because it is not the norm. It would only take one bad season in the Championship to see things potentially unravel very quickly for Norwich. 

No Prem promotions and then there is no Emi, Todd or Pukki. Those players are only at Norwich due to the prospect of Prem football. 

Plus we have a policy of developing youth along with the top 26 team. So folk know that a Norwich City team are progressive and always develop their teams as well as playing attractive football.

For me, this is the most exciting time to be a supporter. The possibilities for us to grow just seem very well founded, or rather, grounded, solid. 

Edited by sonyc

18 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

Because there's a small portion of our fans that hold a silly position that deserves to be called out. 

So what makes you the arbiter?  

3 hours ago, Herman said:

The second one all day long.

Absolutely, even before VAR the Premier is a boring waste of space.

With VAR it isn't even as good as boring, its a total waste of space and time.

Not every season in the Premier League for us has to be like our last season there was. There are one-off reasons why that ended up being exceptionally dispiriting. There are many things about the over-hyped PL to detest, but one should be in it if one can.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

So what makes you the arbiter?  

Nobody claimed I am. Your position was challenged by somebody on the internet, nothing more, nothing less. 

I want Norwich City to challenge at the highest level and I believe we can. If we limit our aspirations to the Championship, we'll be at the bottom end of it before we know it. BTW,  we're only a top Championship club because we've had the financial benefit of being in the Premier League.

Edited by Wardogz

24 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

Nobody claimed I am. Your position was challenged by somebody on the internet, nothing more, nothing less. 

I want Norwich City to challenge at the highest level and I believe we can. If we limit our aspirations to the Championship, we'll be at the bottom end of it before we know it. BTW,  we're only a top Championship club because we've had the financial benefit of being in the Premier League.

This is too simplistic for me.

It doesn't explain why we are top and yet Bournemouth are heading for midtable.

Or how sheffield United were promoted yet Sunderland are in league one.

Or how Leeds got promoted while Cardiff and Huddersfield were nowhere near.

Or indeed how we were promoted while Swansea and Stoke didn't get a sniff.

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This is too simplistic for me.

It doesn't explain why we are top and yet Bournemouth are heading for midtable.

Or how sheffield United were promoted yet Sunderland are in league one.

Or how Leeds got promoted while Cardiff and Huddersfield were nowhere near.

Or indeed how we were promoted while Swansea and Stoke didn't get a sniff.

It's not solely down to the money I agree, we are well managed too, but without the money, I don't believe we'd be top and able to resist comical bids for Emi from the likes of Arsenal. The Prem money has helped us keep the squad together. Our current position of strength relies on getting back to the Prem - unless serious investment arrives from elsewhere.

Edited by Wardogz

Prem for money, but Champs for happiness.

For me being in the Prem is a joyless experience except for 1 or 2 days.

Literally, 10 of the places now are hard to obtain - and that is hard to accept

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

It's not solely down to the money I agree, we are well managed too, but without the money, I don't believe we'd be top and able to resist comical bids for Emi from the likes of Arsenal. The Prem money has helped us keep the squad together. Our current position of strength relies on getting back to the Prem - unless serious investment arrives from elsewhere.

absolute nonsense (as usual)

the parachute money has merely allowed us to make PL contract payments and staged transfer payments .............that were only entered into because we were promoted

it has been the recent sales of Maddison, Lewis and Godfrey which has allowed us to be in control of who leaves - that and the ability to develop youngsters at minimal cost, and sign excellent players such as Krul and Pukki for nowt

None of which has anything to do with PL money - so save your whining about money for TWTD where such comment pacifies them as to why they consistantly fail and we succeed

Surely the dumbest question ever posted on here.

In every sport, every club or team, every owner, every manager and every player strives to be competing at the highest level possible.

If they don't then what is the point?

It's easy to say that the Champs is more exciting when you are competitive but have 2 or 3 years of not being competitive and the Champs then becomes like the EPL.

So what happens then - does League One suddenly become attractive as we stand more chance of being competitive in that division?

And how many, good players, managers, coaches, and promising academy prospects, do you think a Club would attract once it's known that that Club has no ambition and are happy to just keep going along at the level they are already at?

Don't know the answers to these questions?

Well have a look at TWTD and be grateful of what we do and how we do it.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

In every sport, every club or team, every owner, every manager and every player strives to be competing at the highest level possible.

If they don't then what is the point?

It's easy to say that the Champs is more exciting when you are competitive but have 2 or 3 years of not being competitive and the Champs then becomes like the EPL.

So what happens then - does League One suddenly become attractive as we stand more chance of being competitive in that division?

And how many, good players, managers, coaches, and promising academy prospects, do you think a Club would attract once it's known that that Club has no ambition and are happy to just keep going along at the level they are already at?

Don't know the answers to these questions?

Well have a look at TWTD and be grateful of what we do and how we do it.

Oh MP, there have been many questions on here that are far dumber. 
I do not disagree with what you say, just look past the facts,  I just thought I would ask to discover honest feelings about the season and what it will bring. 
I never asked obout ambition and did suggest that we should be striving for the best. 
Personally I’m not so shure that once we get to the promised land we, as fans, actually enjoy the struggle in a league where we know we cannot compete financially from day one. 
As I said just thought I would ask for a bit of honesty, on this is a discussion forum. 

I love the chase of getting into the premiership, but don't take for granted how hard that is, we are very fortunate to be in a great position but it's not a given right to be promoted. We've been very lucky to have gone up so many times in recent history. A lot of teams that haven't have faded away badly. 

So, the answer has to be the Premier League. And hopefully, if we go up, this time we can do more to try make it stick

For many supporters (clearly not all) it's more fun to win games and be competing at the top of a league.

For every other stakeholder including players and owners if you don't aim to be at the top you should find another job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, percy varco said:

Personally I’m not so shure that once we get to the promised land we, as fans, actually enjoy the struggle in a league where we know we cannot compete financially from day one.

That may be so, but we've had plenty of seasons where we didn't enjoy the struggle in the Championship.

Everyone, including me, thinks it's great when we are flying high & pushing for promotion from the Championship but history tells me that that won't last forever.

Likewise we may not enjoy losing every week in the EPL and we may get relegated again but for me that is not a reason for not wanting to get promoted.

I suppose in your ideal world we would lose in the play offs or finish 7th or 8th in the Championship every year but unfortunately sport, and particularly football, doesn't work like that.

I'm certainly glad that we have had several promotions to the PL because without them our Club would not have come so close to winning it in 1993 and we would not have played in Europe or beaten Bayern Munich.

That might not happen again but we didn't think it would happen then.

Do you really want a Club that is a permanent fixture in the Champioship.

What if we were a bang average mid table team for 5 or 6 years, What if we got relegated from it - it has happened before.

It is very easy, given our record over the last 10 years, to believe that we will always be competitive & safe in the Championship.

However, that is no more certain than getting relegated from the EPL.

Enjoy the rest of the season, celebrate promotion if it happens and if it does, embrace our position as one of the 20 Clubs in the best league in the World.

There are probably 71 other Clubs whose supporters continually wonder "why can't we be Norwich"

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bill said:

absolute nonsense (as usual)

the parachute money has merely allowed us to make PL contract payments and staged transfer payments .............that were only entered into because we were promoted

it has been the recent sales of Maddison, Lewis and Godfrey which has allowed us to be in control of who leaves - that and the ability to develop youngsters at minimal cost, and sign excellent players such as Krul and Pukki for nowt

None of which has anything to do with PL money - so save your whining about money for TWTD where such comment pacifies them as to why they consistantly fail and we succeed

It's not just our last venture into the Prem, it's the past 10 years of frequent visits that have kept us in a position to keep investing in the squad, youth facilities and being able to buy players like Maddison in the first place.

To think we'd be even talking about promotion this season without our previous 3 ventures into the Prem since 2010, is just wishful thinking at best.

Fans saying they'd rather stay in the championship and keep winning can't see the fatal flaw in their argument, it's the winning and getting promoted part that has allowed us to keep winning games in the Championship.

9 hours ago, Making Plans said:

It's definitely up there. An unbelievably blinkered position.