Sign in to follow this  
Mr Tea

Dowell.

Hmmm.

trying to suss out KD and the piece on the front page highlighted my thoughts.

Each game I’m willing him to come on and show us glimpses of what is to come on a decent run but for me , no show yet.

Chuffed when he came on with 30 to go against Coventry as I thought it was a perfect opportunity for him to start showing us the real him but apart from one row z shot a can’t recall anything else in that 30 minutes.

yes I know he has had a period on the sidelines but still think that maybe we should have seen more ?

perhaps I’m missing something that other can see?

He needs a run of games to get fully up to speed - I’ll be a bit disappointed if he doesn’t start today or at least at Brum; Mario hasn’t done a lot wrong but a bit of squad rotation wouldn’t be amiss.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I also was quite pleased to see him so early against Coventry, but it has to be said we hadn't spent much of the half around their box. The good performance overshadows how much we struggled to get out of defence second half.

It's a shame but as with Sorensen, the player ahead of him isn't doing much wrong, with the occasional telling contribution. Difficult position to be in for Dowell.

We don't generally see the best from players who come to us, in their first season with us. Plainly he has talent, but the step up to Farkeball is a steep one for some that come in - the fitness, the work rate, the desire - to fit in they have to be right up there and to get a look in on the team when there are already so many that know exactly what is required and are used to it, is a tough ask.  

That is why I am a bit surprised with Giannoulis coming in and ousting Sorensen, but then he looks the part and maybe was able to fit in with all the above straight away.  Dowell has been injured too.  We will probably see more of him next season.

It's a real catch 22. 

He won't show us what he's capable of until he gets a run of games, or at the very least a start or two, especially after a three-month injury lay-off.

But the problem is that he hasn't shown enough in his limited appearances here so far to justify giving him a run of games or a couple of starts ahead of other players.

Unfortunately for Dowell, I think leaving him on the bench in this limbo is probably the best thing for the team right now.

Plus when we are ahead we tend not to chase a game (last couple of games excluded), so unless he starts, improving match fitness will be tough.

I agree that he is a talented player, and we saw that before he was injured. We have a strong squad now and it will be difficult for him to get a start. Being an attacking midfielder he is unlikely to replace Buendia, Cantwell, and Vrancic who are all playing well.

28 minutes ago, hampton canary said:

I agree that he is a talented player, and we saw that before he was injured. We have a strong squad now and it will be difficult for him to get a start. Being an attacking midfielder he is unlikely to replace Buendia, Cantwell, and Vrancic who are all playing well.

Although Vrancic didn't show out against Coventry.