daisy

Which ex player do you dislike the most.

Dark Satanic Mills is running away with this already, but I might as well chuck another vote in. It's a curious one as to why he seems to have this dislike of Norwich City, but it's certainly reciprocal.

Like TVB, I too have eased my dislike of Andy Marshall in recent years for the reasons he stated. 

John Fashanu was a good shout and one I wouldn't have thought of. Too young to remember him playing here, but his treatment of his brother, who we do remember fondly, was terrible.

6 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

I’ve e mailed Chris Lakey re Mills’ comments, hopefully he’ll bring it to the attention of  NCFC and Sky

Wouldn’t it be great if NCFC took out all his City playing stats

Some random thoughts on reading all the above...

I once saw Danny Mills brought on as a sub and play in midfield - (away to Swindon, he was quite good) - his comment about Bianca’s shirt was despicable....

re Andy Marshall, we sometimes forget that our beloved Ian Crook was within a whisker of signing for Ipswich and we don’t hold it against him... ... if anything I feel a bit sorry for Andy Marshall - especially when I think about his goal kicks (!)

I once acknowledged Steve Bruce in a service station and he was very unfriendly back - so he gets my vote for chief ****

James Vaughan deserves a mention.

We paid a fair bit to Everton for him and had high hopes of him.

He played just five games before gettting injured. May be he came with an injury then played for a limited time.

He spent the best past ofhis first next two seasons, I seem to recall, being paid and treated by City only to want away when he recovered.

I cannot frecall the reasons for his need to move on. He was a Brummie, but was initially loaned to Huddersfield. There was something about a preferred location and he did eventually end up at Birmingham City. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Some random thoughts on reading all the above...

I once saw Danny Mills brought on as a sub and play in midfield - (away to Swindon, he was quite good) - his comment about Bianca’s shirt was despicable....

re Andy Marshall, we sometimes forget that our beloved Ian Crook was within a whisker of signing for Ipswich and we don’t hold it against him... ... if anything I feel a bit sorry for Andy Marshall - especially when I think about his goal kicks (!)

I once acknowledged Steve Bruce in a service station and he was very unfriendly back - so he gets my vote for chief ****

Wesley wanted to follow Lambert to Villa - but we didn’t let him . And he sulked so much he refused to celebrate when he scored for us against them. 

We all love him now . 

funny old game 

On 19/02/2021 at 13:13, Midlands Yellow said:

Awful support to his brother too when he really needed it. 

To be fair, Justin hardly helped that situation. 

When John Fashanu offered Justin Fashanu £75k to not come out as gay by telling his story, Justin took the money and still sold his story to the tabloids. Think that's definitely enough to ruin a relationship with a sibling, and £75k would have been a lot of money to a Wimbledon player back then, perhaps half a years salary??

And yes, you can say that John acted appallingly in trying to hush him up, but it was because he didn't want Justin to cause any stress to his elderly religious mother who was dying of cancer.

I don't really get this love in for Justin myself. Yes he was a pioneer, and should be noted as such, but he was also a vain and materialistic person who in many ways was his own enemy and did cause other people some harm. It was pretty much ascertained that he'd made up stories about affairs with some MPs for money wasn't it, think that didn't damage their marriages and careers etc?

I dislike both of the Fashanu brothers.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To be fair, Justin hardly helped that situation. 

When John Fashanu offered Justin Fashanu £75k to not come out as gay by telling his story, Justin took the money and still sold his story to the tabloids. Think that's definitely enough to ruin a relationship with a sibling, and £75k would have been a lot of money to a Wimbledon player back then, perhaps half a years salary??

And yes, you can say that John acted appallingly in trying to hush him up, but it was because he didn't want Justin to cause any stress to his elderly religious mother who was dying of cancer.

I don't really get this love in for Justin myself. Yes he was a pioneer, and should be noted as such, but he was also a vain and materialistic person who in many ways was his own enemy and did cause other people some harm. It was pretty much ascertained that he'd made up stories about affairs with some MPs for money wasn't it, think that didn't damage their marriages and careers etc?

I dislike both of the Fashanu brothers.

Did John give him the money? He already knew it was too late to stop the story being printed after Eric Monster Monster hall told him so. 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Did John give him the money? He already knew it was too late to stop the story being printed after Eric Monster Monster hall told him so. 

In all reports I've read it is said that the money was paid. That's how it was reported in Pink News as it happens... https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/05/01/john-fashanu-justin-gay-footballer-brother-dead-paid-money/

But then I don't trust a word John says just as much as I wouldn't have trusted a word that Justin says, so who knows. 

I just think that if you are a contracted professional footballer and you are frequently selling kiss and tell stories to tabloid newspapers, purely for financial gain, and without consideration to the damage that you could be doing the lives of the other party (e.g. anybody married with children), then you could probably expect your professional football career to go south and so I don't entirely buy the narrative that Justins career went wrong solely because of his sexuality.

If a Norwich player started selling kiss and tell stories to The Sun talking about the Instagram influencers and pop stars they'd been sh*gging I'd imagine they'd Moritz Leitner in the bomb squad pretty damn quickly.

I was previously (completely unfairly) accused of being a homophobe by Pugin when making this point (think it was after somebody suggested a statue), so I'm trying to tred carefully, because this really isn't about sexuality, but I don't know if we should hero worship somebody who:

• Sold Kiss and Tell story's to tabloid newspapers while being paid a salary to play football, at least some of which are believed to have been untrue.
  • Used their wealth. fame and priviledge to frequently employ the service of teenage sex workers. 
  • Allegedly (and remember he fled the country so probably) had sexual contact with a 17 year old student when he was their 35 year old coach. Whilst 17 is legal age of consent in the UK currently, safeguarding legislation actually exists for under 18's who are considered minors. This would definitely be treated very seriously here if it were a sixth form student and teacher relationship. Or indeed, a Norwich academy coach with U18 player. 

Note that no mention of gender in the three bullet points. Although legal age of consent for males was 18 in the UK here at the time, so would have been illegal in both countries. 

We should acknowledge that he was a pioneer and had some bravery, and a very talented player before getting distracted off the field, but is he the type of character that we should be hero worshipping and treating as an icon? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Aside from the obvious Ched Evans my choice would be Naismith. Was a massive drain on our resources, didn't want to come in the first place, didn't fancy working hard in training when Farke arrived and ever since I saw him blatantly and deliberately fondle a West Brom players balls before a corner I've had him pegged as a bit of a creep, I'm all for psyching opponents out to gain an advantage if you can, but that was sexual harassment and I don't want to see players who are privileged enough to wear our shirt sinking to that level. 

In more recent years though for me it has to be Lewis Grabban. Watching the Sunderland Til I Die documentary he seems like an absolute pr*ck, plus the way he behaved that eventually got him thrown out the club (how on Earth did we scam Bournemouth out of £7m for him by the way 😂) was just disgraceful. Never misses an opportunity to celebrate in front of our supporters faces either. I think it was Forest's 2-0 goal in the 3-3 game a couple of years ago, and the reverse fixture where he put them 1-0 up, he stared down our fans and celebrated right in front of us as if he thought he was Cristiano Ronaldo and was celebrating in front of the Barcelona fans after scoring the winner in El Classico. Hilarious that in one game we came from 3-0 down to draw and the other we ended up winning after he gave them the lead.

Marley Watkins, Alex Pritchard and Ben Marshall are all solid gold d*ckheads as well. 

On 19/02/2021 at 07:23, Newtopia said:

I think he left as we had better options at right back. Daryl Sutch / Darren Kenton I seem to recall.

What Danny did with his career when he left was amazing, I never thought he was good enough to play for England and in fact I seem to recall he went on to Captain the side a few times - Incredible.  A superb career, he made the very best of himself.  I suspect it irks him that the coaches and fans did not rate him more highly.  Although he went on to have great career, at the time Sutch / Kenton looked better players.

Have I imagined this, or was he voted best England player during one of our tournament failures.

1 minute ago, glory.win or die. said:

Have I imagined this, or was he voted best England player during one of our tournament failures.

He did have a great career, to be honest I was incredibly proud that he started at Norwich.   I was clearly wrongabout his ability, and in hindsight he probably should not have been sold, equally it felt like the right decision at the time.  It was also good for Danny, he did amazingly.

6 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I wouldn't call World Cup 2002 a failure- quarter finals, going out to the eventual winners in Brazil.