daisy

Which ex player do you dislike the most.

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Yep, I never did get why he took so much stick. I get it that fans didn't think he was as good as WFLGH but he didn't slouch around, he didn't slag us off and he was a good presence/influence around the Club. I must have missed something🤷‍♂️

Especially as he had a very decent goalscoring record that first season, all things considered. We'd have killed for a backup striker grabbing 9 goals last season!

4 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Yep, I never did get why he took so much stick. I get it that fans didn't think he was as good as WFLGH but he didn't slouch around, he didn't slag us off and he was a good presence/influence around the Club. I must have missed something🤷‍♂️

His equaliser against Arsenal was an odd moment - we were all going nuts in the Away end and he came and Shushed us. I think he was a decent player and I never understood the animosity towards him. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Danny Mills is certainly up there. For a more random one I also get disproportionately wound up by how fired up Sergi Canos is every time he plays against us for Brentford. i know he wasn;t treated brilliantly by the manager and not really given a fair go which i assume is the reason he harbours a bit of a grudge against Norwich but there is no reason for him to hold that against our fans. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Danny Mills is certainly up there. For a more random one I also get disproportionately wound up by how fired up Sergi Canos is every time he plays against us for Brentford. i know he wasn;t treated brilliantly by the manager and not really given a fair go which i assume is the reason he harbours a bit of a grudge against Norwich but there is no reason for him to hold that against our fans. 

Strange ? I thought Canos became a legend for us with his goals against Leeds in our promotion year? I thought he even acknowledged the good humour ? 
I haven’t picked up on him harbouring a grudge ? 

8 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Strange ? I thought Canos became a legend for us with his goals against Leeds in our promotion year? I thought he even acknowledged the good humour ? 
I haven’t picked up on him harbouring a grudge ? 

Me neither- I remember him saying how happy he was we went up.

God Alex Neil was an idiot at times.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Me neither- I remember him saying how happy he was we went up.

God Alex Neil was an idiot at times.

A kid in a sweet shop when spending decent money. Alex is good on a tight budget and has been decent managing Preston. 

John Fashunu. 'Thief and a scumbag' was one description from a former clubmate.

Of the wonderful Wimbledon Cup-winning side, he is largely an outsider. Still a lot of resentment that on the eve of the Cup Final he tried to channel the Players' Pool through his hooky mate Eric Hall, for his own benefit.

And for that criminal challenge that ended Jon O'Neill's career on his Norwich debut. There was intent to seriously injure. Unforgiveable.

Oh, but primarily Danny Mills. He is just sneering and unlikeable. But Fashanu is probably more deeply flawed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A kid in a sweet shop when spending decent money. Alex is good on a tight budget and has been decent managing Preston. 

To be fair he was relatively inexperienced at the time but his managerial ability was clear. I wonder if he'd have faired better in our current set-up where someone else worried about the transfers 

1 minute ago, Pugin said:

Of the wonderful Wimbledon Cup-winning side, he is largely an outsider. Still a lot of resentment that on the eve of the Cup Final he tried to channel the Players' Pool through his hooky mate Eric Hall, for his own benefit.

And for that criminal challenge that ended Jon O'Neill's career on his Norwich debut. There was intent to seriously injure. Unforgiveable.

Oh, but primarily Danny Mills. He is just sneering and unlikeable. But Fashanu is probably more deeply flawed.

Awful support to his brother too when he really needed it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

I agree he actually has nothing nice to say about us.

Funny, as a few months ago I distinctly remember hearing him speak very highly of Norwichs 'new approach' as he put it. Saying it was brave and working well, if not quickly..... I mostly agree with him , though I didnt expect to see the change in overall squad qualty improve so quickly. I think what has to be remembered with Chris Sutton is that he likes a wind up, so if the other pundits  are praising us , he will point out a few flaws and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

I don't think I'll ever forget that tackle. One of the worst I've ever seen, I'm not even sure if he got booked. 

There's also the fact that he banished his brother Justin for coming out at a time he needed him most.

• Like 1

Just now, Weneverscorefromacorner said:

I don't think I'll ever forget that tackle. One of the worst I've ever seen, I'm not even sure if he got booked. 

There's also the fact that he banished his brother Justin for coming out at a time he needed him most.

I have been researching a book about Giantkilling. Wimbledon players and Bobby Gould have been amazing. But I keep hearing 'Steer clear of Fashanu'.

20 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I have been researching a book about Giantkilling. Wimbledon players and Bobby Gould have been amazing. But I keep hearing 'Steer clear of Fashanu'.

Fashanu and Lawrie Sanchez kept clear of each other and never spoke off the field apparently. Wimbledon was always seen as a tight knit Club, but Fashanu was the exception

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigFish said:

Takes a curious one eyed view of football to think the limited Sutch whose career was during the dark days post-Chase and included missing a pen in the play-off final was better than Mills who played Champions League & World Cup. I don't get this neediness about ex-players showing respect, for most it is a job that they do for the money.

Agree with you on Such vs. Mills but I for one don't 'need' obsequious respect from ex players, just find Mills' nasty attitude anything but one you'd expect from someone who saw it as just a job.  See Hucks for a player who got screwed but had the class and intelligence to separate the individuals responsible from the club and fans.

9 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Fashanu and Lawrie Sanchez kept clear of each other and never spoke off the field apparently. Wimbledon was always seen as a tight knit Club, but Fashanu was the exception

Very tight knit, virtually all of the team are still exceptionally close, they have reunions and an unbreakable bond. The other exception is central defender Eric Young who was always a bit of an enigma and liked to stay very private. There as stories such as him being dropped off the team bus in strange places. No suggestion of anything untoward. He just liked to retain his privacy and that remains the case to this day. The eleven from the Final team (except the two mentioned) are the really close group.

I feel sorry for the other squad players who were there, but not really there,  none more so than Vaughan Ryan who was in the side until three weeks before the Final. Against Chelsea, Steve Wicks smashed into him unnecessarily and broke his cheekbone. Vinnie Jones took his place and Vaughan Ryan's big chance of fame had gone.

Great bunch of lads and Bobby Gould is a delight. He lives in retirement near Bristol and gets great enjoyment following his son who is Chief Exec at Middlesex CC and his grandson who is a goalkeeper at Kidderminster.

• Like 1

Agree with you on Such vs. Mills but I for one don't 'need' obsequious respect from ex players, just find Mills' nasty attitude anything but one you'd expect from someone who saw it as just a job.  See Hucks for a player who got screwed but had the class and intelligence to separate the individuals responsible from the club and fans.

Daisy is correct, Danny Mills is the only acceptable answer here, an utter **** of a man. 

Not even Andy Marshall deserves hating more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

I agree he actually has nothing nice to say about us.

I am surprised.   I always think as a pundit he is very balanced, and really knowledgeable.  I have the feeling that if you scratch the surface and he is biased towards us, did you hear the debate he had with Robbie Savage about ‘Villa’ belonging in the premiership, and that Robbie would prefer to see Villa.  By the end of the discussion he was clearly pressing us.  I remember playing him as a kid at cricket and football, he was one of us then.  

9 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

You don’t think lots of pro footballers see out their contracts then? Remember RVW? Nelson? Jarvis? 

Yes, but he happened to be handed the most lucrative contract in the history of the club, without the safeguard of a significant reduction on relegation. The single worst piece of business the club ever did.

But the reason why I hold the resentment is because he simply never put in the required work level. He just used us for a retirement fund and put his feet up. 

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

Very tight knit, virtually all of the team are still exceptionally close, they have reunions and an unbreakable bond. The other exception is central defender Eric Young who was always a bit of an enigma and liked to stay very private. There as stories such as him being dropped off the team bus in strange places. No suggestion of anything untoward. He just liked to retain his privacy and that remains the case to this day. The eleven from the Final team (except the two mentioned) are the really close group.

I feel sorry for the other squad players who were there, but not really there,  none more so than Vaughan Ryan who was in the side until three weeks before the Final. Against Chelsea, Steve Wicks smashed into him unnecessarily and broke his cheekbone. Vinnie Jones took his place and Vaughan Ryan's big chance of fame had gone.

Great bunch of lads and Bobby Gould is a delight. He lives in retirement near Bristol and gets great enjoyment following his son who is Chief Exec at Middlesex CC and his grandson who is a goalkeeper at Kidderminster.

Sounds like we have seen the same programme on the Dons Pugin? I found it very interesting👍

5 hours ago, Newtopia said:

That has taken me by surprise.  If you don’t mind me asking, why?

Sutton was a brilliant player for us, it's just that as a bloke, he's a bit of a c*ck? Not the same league as the Mills or Fashanu however.

Agree with everyone. Fashanu (John obviously) and Mills are only the real people I don't like. Judas made a silly move, which alienated him and I enjoyed watching him end up being mediocre but I don't dislike him really.