daisy

Which ex player do you dislike the most.

More recently I realised I dislike Ayala - when he last came to Carrow Road he got no sort of reception yet started giving it the bigg'un to the Barclay and i'm still not sure why.

Danny Mills is a bit early for me but doesn't stop me hating him.

Disliking them just a bit and starting with that Catty Cat from Old Catton, Danno Mills......Then Andy 'Norwich Who?' Townsend......and lastly.....Tim 'Fly Tipper' Sherwood.....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Disliking them just a bit and starting with that Catty Cat from Old Catton, Danno Mills......Then Andy 'Norwich Who?' Townsend......and lastly.....Tim 'Fly Tipper' Sherwood.....

I’ll award that the full set . Well played Mello. 

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

I think he left as we had better options at right back. Daryl Sutch / Darren Kenton I seem to recall.

What Danny did with his career when he left was amazing, I never thought he was good enough to play for England and in fact I seem to recall he went on to Captain the side a few times - Incredible.  A superb career, he made the very best of himself.  I suspect it irks him that the coaches and fans did not rate him more highly.  Although he went on to have great career, at the time Sutch / Kenton looked better players.

Sutch was never a better player than Mills . That was unquestionably part of Mills ire. Sutch went off to struggle at Southend , Mills went off to play in the World Cup. 

Mills is still a 24 carat kn0b though 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Short term both of them, but does anybody remember the signings of Steve Walsh and Tony Cottee from Leicester. Both signed on high wages. Neither cared about the club at all. Both off quickly. Walsh I particularly hated.

10 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sutch was never a better player than Mills . That was unquestionably part of Mills ire. Sutch went off to struggle at Southend , Mills went off to play in the World Cup. 

Mills is still a 24 carat kn0b though 

I thought Sutch was much better at the time, and more professional.  I recall him being pretty good technically with the ball at his feet, I suspect his own career would have been more successful personally had he left when Blackburn made their approach, but he was such a loyal guy I am not sure he sees it that way.

I guess we all have our own opinions, and in hindsight I can’t argue with what Mills achieved.

From Mill’s point of view, Sutch and Kenton were ahead of him, and Kenton was younger.  Therefore the Norwich management saw the offer as being free cash, and the rest is history.  Ironically Kenton ended up playing brilliantly at centre half, Danny ended up feeling rejected.

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Andy Marshall

****ing scummy judas ****.

I used to hate him, but I'm recent years has shown some self awareness about the issue... He knows deep down that he made a big mistake. 

Karma somewhat as Norwich fans hated him, and Ipswich fans could never quite bring themselves to fully like him. 

When it's all said and he may have retired with a few hundred grand in the bank, but then have 45 years retired without legend status at any club... No invites to special occasions etc.

He was only slightly above average anyway, Greeno far better, wiring would have been on the wall for him here with Green coming through. Perhaps he knew that deep down! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Short term both of them, but does anybody remember the signings of Steve Walsh and Tony Cottee from Leicester. Both signed on high wages. Neither cared about the club at all. Both off quickly. Walsh I particularly hated.

Walsh actually returned his wages to the club I believe so I order that you immediately rescind! Good guy! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I used to hate him, but I'm recent years has shown some self awareness about the issue... He knows deep down that he made a big mistake. 

Karma somewhat as Norwich fans hated him, and Ipswich fans could never quite bring themselves to fully like him. 

When it's all said and done you retire with a few hundred grand in the bank, but then have 45 years retired without legend status at any club... No invites to special occasions etc.

He was only slightly above average anyway, Greeno far better, wiring would have been on the wall for him here with Green coming through. Perhaps he knew that deep down! 

If the wiring is on the wall then it should be in approved safety ducting.  Do you not even nod to health and safety TvB?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Walsh actually returned his wages to the club I believe so I order that you immediately rescind! Good guy! 

I did not know that, a great gesture.

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I did not know that, a great gesture.

He claimed that in an interview last year, I suppose that doesn't guarantee that its true, but was having mental problems which affected his performances and decided to return his wages and offer to tear up the contract. 

He was also about 3 stone overweight and his legs had completely gone, can't remember if he mentioned that bit haha.

Might be controversial as nobody else has named him, but I'm not overly fond of Chris Sutton

I saw Mills play for us a number of times and always thought he was decent, often enjoyed his performances and thought we had lost a potentially superb full back when he did leave. A very combative full hearted player. 

However, he was the type of player who could fall out with others at any time it felt, especially on the pitch and as a result I suspect he took a lot of managing. That type of obstinate temperament at a young age is probably quite annoying for a manager struggling with relegation or promotion against better teams. He often lost his starting spot which at the time I thought strange. 

He was obviously ambitious and if you look at his career you cant' help but admire his determination to succeed with his caps and his PL moves.

His biggest and most disappointing failure is his inability to shake off his 'treatment' as he saw it by the Norwich management team at the time (whilst failing to understand they were but only temporary guardians of the first team). He carries this 'perceived' (only by him) slight / disrespect  against him as a mill stone and often refers to it with his access to the media.

Why? God knows, but I suspect one of the reasons he feels he can belittle Norwich is that having played for 'big clubs' after us he feels safe in deriding us. He however, made a mistake is doing so. Although we are not an important player in football terms (to his mind) compared to other teams he played for, we have a very large vociferous and loyal following and are fiercely defensive of unwarranted character slurs by sulky spoilt ex players (as he has found out). 

It appears fashionable to some ex 'big time Charlies' to conveniently airbrush form history their time developing with us, but make snide remarks about NCFC when you have an audience, then expect the inevitable backlash.

That said I personally do not 'hate' any of our ex players. There are a number of players out there who deliberately injure others who are worthy of hate.

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

Might be controversial as nobody else has named him, but I'm not overly fond of Chris Sutton

That has taken me by surprise.  If you don’t mind me asking, why?

Edited by Newtopia

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Keith O'Neill was a really nice guy, had time for everybody off the pitch - got stick from fans because of his injury record, wasn't his fault. 

Didnt he go on Soccer AM whilst still playing for us and say the best thing about Norwich is the road out of there.

1 minute ago, Satriales said:

Didnt he go on Soccer AM whilst still playing for us and say the best thing about Norwich is the road out of there.

Yeah I think so, Coventry fans weren't very impressed when he got injured punching one of those bags at a fairground either. 

But trust me, he was a decent guy and not aloof in the slightest. I know a few people he became good friends with in Norwich during his time here, just normal working class people, I met him a few times and he was just a normal bloke who liked a laugh. 

He'd have made that comment to make people laugh, not to offend. But the fact that having a laugh does offend people so easily these days is why most footballers are drones talking in pre-prepared media team lines full of cliches and you don't get decent post-match interviews anymore. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I thought Sutch was much better at the time, and more professional.  I recall him being pretty good technically with the ball at his feet, I suspect his own career would have been more successful personally had he left when Blackburn made their approach, but he was such a loyal guy I am not sure he sees it that way.

I guess we all have our own opinions, and in hindsight I can’t argue with what Mills achieved.

From Mill’s point of view, Sutch and Kenton were ahead of him, and Kenton was younger.  Therefore the Norwich management saw the offer as being free cash, and the rest is history.  Ironically Kenton ended up playing brilliantly at centre half, Danny ended up feeling rejected.

Takes a curious one eyed view of football to think the limited Sutch whose career was during the dark days post-Chase and included missing a pen in the play-off final was better than Mills who played Champions League & World Cup. I don't get this neediness about ex-players showing respect, for most it is a job that they do for the money.

Steve Morison came back here with Millwall and scored a cracker of a goal. As I was applauding it, he went over to the corner of the River End and City Stand and cupped his ear, giving it large. I was so put out that stopped clapping there and then!! 

He had had a decent smattering of applause when his name was read out at the beginning of the game, so was disappointed when he decided he'd have a go at the whole crowd, as opposed to the minority of people who had a go at him, whilst he was here.

I don't dislike him, and my mild indignation has petered out now.

• Like 1

That has taken me by surprise.  If you don’t mind me asking, why?

Just don't overly enjoy him as a pundit

Funny thing about Danny Mills is I remember him from sea scouts and he was such a moany little spoilt kid then who relied on daddy for everything and would throw hissy fits over anything.

I think he may hate Norwich so much not because of the football but because he was a wimpy kid that took a lot of stick from kids growing up. He was always crying about something. So perhaps his hatred towards us is more because he has bad memories of growing up in sprowston. Who knows

I never hated Steve Walshe but he does rank as possibly having the worst performance I have ever seen in the City shirt. He had been a decent player but when he signed for us (with Tony Cottee?) he was shot to bits, fat and looked like he was about to keel over . 

In fact we could have a fat thread . I’ll start with John Hartson, Walshe and our beloved Iwan in his early Ncfc career . 

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Steve Morison came back here with Millwall and scored a cracker of a goal. As I was applauding it, he went over to the corner of the River End and City Stand and cupped his ear, giving it large. I was so put out that stopped clapping there and then!! 

He had had a decent smattering of applause when his name was read out at the beginning of the game, so was disappointed when he decided he'd have a go at the whole crowd, as opposed to the minority of people who had a go at him, whilst he was here.

Morison is such a weird one, he got so much stick from our fans and I just never understood it. I remember walking back to the car after a game and hearing one fan declaring how she'd never hated a Norwich player until him. Used to drive me insane.

3 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Sutch is one of those players that was lucky to have a career as he was dreadful.

He wouldn't appear in a top 10 list of the best RB's to have played for Norwich but would appear in the top 3 of the worst ones.

Maybe Mills has reason to have his chip on the shoulder if this was the case.

On a more positive note I met his brother a few times and he was the other end of the scale, such a nice bloke.

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Takes a curious one eyed view of football to think the limited Sutch whose career was during the dark days post-Chase and included missing a pen in the play-off final was better than Mills who played Champions League & World Cup. I don't get this neediness about ex-players showing respect, for most it is a job that they do for the money.

I do my job for money. I’m a nurse by trade; but it doesn’t stop me remembering old colleagues who have served, and contributed to the cause.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Morison is such a weird one, he got so much stick from our fans and I just never understood it. I remember walking back to the car after a game and hearing one fan declaring how she'd never hated a Norwich player until him. Used to drive me insane.

Yep, I never did get why he took so much stick. I get it that fans didn't think he was as good as WFLGH but he didn't slouch around, he didn't slag us off and he was a good presence/influence around the Club. I must have missed something🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, king canary said:
1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I was at Blackburn away a few years ago when he came over to pick the ball up by the fence where our fans were and several of our lot gave him a load of real abuse. There are a few very rare times when I have been ashamed of our fans, that was one of them. P!llocks.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1