Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

The State Of That Pitch.

I know it was covered several times in the match thread but apart from the fact we are back at St Andrews next Tuesday i see that Coventry are playing on it this Saturday so it will be 3 games in 6 days !

Surely it will be in an even worse state bearing in mind we are still in February ? Yes i know it was a short summer and there was little chance of groundsmen up and down the country getting their pitches as they maybe would have liked but that Birmingham pitch must be the worst in the Championship.

I thought it was actually ok - the ball didn’t particularly misbehave, it didn’t cut up horrendously and it was throwing it down all game. For some reason people are somewhat over-exaggerating it...it wasn’t a carpet, but bearing in mind our pitch hasn’t been as good as usual this year and that one has played twice as many games, it was pretty good. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

At least the players will be used to it after last night. Odd that the 18 yard box/goal mouth area were far better condition than that massive area in the middle of the park which was awful.

Pitches can't recover when it has been so wet over most of the country and are being played on with so little time in between matches. In Norfolk, the rainfall is usually less than the rest of the country and even though it rains less there, the CR pitch is (I believe) suffering too with the increased rainfall this winter.  People living in Norfolk will be able to say more about rainfall there,  but it is something that may play in our favour that our pitch, although not at it's best, is going to be better than a heck of a lot of other pitches other teams have to play on as their home pitch.

9 minutes ago, Satriales said:

At least the players will be used to it after last night. Odd that the 18 yard box/goal mouth area were far better condition than that massive area in the middle of the park which was awful.

I thought that too, obviously hasn't been too much goalmouth action or something!

Was like a swimming pool in the middle

I think half the issue was it chucked down all day in Birmingham, hopefully a bit of dry weather and it should be OK next week. 

It seemed to me that despite it chucking down for most of the game, there was some exaggerated bounce which caught players out, suggesting that the surface was quite hard. Control was a little difficult as there was undoubtedly some unevenness but that favours those who have a deft touch, like Emi, Todd and Olly Skipp who were the stand out performers on the night IMO

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Maybe have a word with the powers that be and relocate the Brum game to Villa Park or The Hawthorns?........😉

Carrow Road maybe? 🤔

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I know it was covered several times in the match thread but apart from the fact we are back at St Andrews next Tuesday i see that Coventry are playing on it this Saturday so it will be 3 games in 6 days !

Surely it will be in an even worse state bearing in mind we are still in February ? Yes i know it was a short summer and there was little chance of groundsmen up and down the country getting their pitches as they maybe would have liked but that Birmingham pitch must be the worst in the Championship.

I feared the worst when I saw the pitch last night, but it didn't seem to stop us playing our natural game in the same way that Millwall's cabbage patch did. Fingers crossed it holds up okay over the weekend...

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought it was actually ok - the ball didn’t particularly misbehave, it didn’t cut up horrendously and it was throwing it down all game. For some reason people are somewhat over-exaggerating it...it wasn’t a carpet, but bearing in mind our pitch hasn’t been as good as usual this year and that one has played twice as many games, it was pretty good. 

Agree with all that.  Same people moaning at that pitch were pantwetting about our recent dip in form.  Always something.... 

3 hours ago, Satriales said:

I just think the groundsman had taken a little too much grass off the middle part of the pitch.  However the ball ran fairly true so well rolled.  Probably why it bounced quite well despite the torrential rain.

Edited by shefcanary

Looked awful but actually didn't really effect our play, especially in the first half and the ball played along the floor to Pukki for the first was fine. If it isn't raining it should help us a little bit, at least our players will feel confident there having already played on it and got a result! 

Looked threadbare in the middle but seemed to play OK and did not appear to cut up to any extent.  Certainly did not seem to bother the rampant ball playing Cantwell. Compared with 50 years ago it looked like Wimbledon !!

I guess I'm a look back bore, enjoying watching the Big Match re-visited on Saturday mornings at the moment.  The pitches in the 70's were shocking but the players got on with it, the best rising to the challenge.  

It didn't look the best but it was good enough for a perfect Buendia pass onto Pukki. Get down Sloughbottom Park for a Sunday league game after heavy rain and you'll realise you can play on anything.

Edited by andrew norwichcity

It looked dreadful but seemed to play pretty true, unlike the Millwall pitch which looked dreadful and played even worse. Also noticeable that players didn't seem to slip over at all (perhaps they just put the right studs in).