Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Todd Cantwell value

Reports were suggesting that we were looking for £15/20m for Todd last summer but his performances in the last few games have been outstanding. 

I think we'll struggle to hold on to him in the summer and the say goes for Max and Emi. But £15m looks ridiculously low based on his recent performances. 

The issue with Todd is his contract- he's got one year left after this season so it doesn't put us in the best negotiating position. Best case scenario is (if we go up) we convince him to extend it with a guarantee we'll sell him for a fair price if we go back down.

• Like 2

I have a friend who deals with Daddy Cantwell on a regular basis, and supposedly Todd was packing his bags for a PL team when Everton came in for Godfrey and Webber 're-evaluated' the asking price for Cantwell. Deal broke down and that led to the little spat at the start of the season.

Personally I'm not sure how much of that I believe, but if there is truth in it I think we would struggle to get him to sign anything.

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

The issue with Todd is his contract- he's got one year left after this season so it doesn't put us in the best negotiating position. Best case scenario is (if we go up) we convince him to extend it with a guarantee we'll sell him for a fair price if we go back down.

Oooh. I didn't realise he hadn't signed up with the others. I'll have to try harder to pay attention. 

I don't know who's advising him but he must have lost a lot of money already. Surely he realises that we always sell when the price is right? He's going to have to get a huge deal to make up for what he's lost over this season and last. 

There was also the point in time when all the young stars were getting improved contracts and Cantwell's took a lot longer than the others to agree and the speculation was his contract wasn't as good as the others, at that point he was a bit less developed.

The Coventry commentators were raving about him last night and put him as "head and shoulders" above the rest of the team.  I don't think that's right, yes he played really well but there were quite a few other really good performances.  But reputation matters and Cantwell IMO is the player who will find it easiest to move to a good Prem club, so I can't see any chance of him signing a new contract and I'm sure we'll just have to get a decent price for him in the summer given he's just got a year left on his contract.  We need to enjoy watching him play and not worry about it frankly.

38 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oooh. I didn't realise he hadn't signed up with the others. I'll have to try harder to pay attention. 

I don't know who's advising him but he must have lost a lot of money already. Surely he realises that we always sell when the price is right? He's going to have to get a huge deal to make up for what he's lost over this season and last. 

I'm not sure he's been offered a new deal although I'm sure talks are happening. He did sign up in the big run of contract renewals after promotion but his was only a three year deal while people like Aarons and Buendia were 4 or 5 years. 

I'm sure there are probably plans in place for a new contract, perhaps the agreement is to see if we go up and then re-evaluate. Webber sounds like he speaks to the youngsters very openly about their futures, Max Aarons being a prime example - I'd highly doubt there isn't a plan in place with Todd. We've very much had the ethos of if the price is right and the destination is right we wouldn't stand in the way of any of our players getting better moves if they want them; Godfrey being the greatest example recently, Lewis to a point, and definitely for Maddison with who's departure I thought was all handled incredibly well given how things turned out after he left with the reinvested money!

Panic not, I'm sure Todd probably does have his eyes on a big future move, but like with Aarons, if we go up and he can have another season of guaranteed starting in the first team playing Premier League football with a tidy pay increase/probable new contract why wouldn't you stay? But yes, let's worry about doing the best job of getting promoted first then I'm sure we'll be sitting down with a lot of our players to negotiate new deals

I don't think anything will happen contract wise until the end of the season. Todd will want and get a 'Premier League' contract somewhere. NCFC won't be able to afford that unless promoted. 

Todd holds all the cards though and even a modest extension to his current contract will cost a pretty penny. We will have to pay it though because as of this time next year he can sign a pre contact with another club, and he will leave on a free the following summer.

Cantwell was brilliant last night, probably his best performance of the season. On a positive note he will be a major factor in us getting promoted, which is far more important.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I keep telling you that when he goes it will be for more than any of them.

Would happily bet you'd be wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Rough guess what we’d get for Todd or Emi in the summer if sold? Emi at least £10m more for me. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Rough guess what we’d get for Todd or Emi in the summer if sold? Emi at least £10m more for me. 

If Todd doesn't sign a new deal I doubt we'd get what we got for Maddison. Emi I think will be setting new fee records.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Would happily bet you'd be wrong.

Quite. I would expect Buendia to be the costliest, all things being roughly equal as far as the length of contracts is concerned.

Just now, king canary said:

If Todd doesn't sign a new deal I doubt we'd get what we got for Maddison. Emi I think will be setting new fee records.

You’d have to hope 2 or more big clubs want him straight away and not wait for the contract to finish. Better still he’s rewarded well here and signs a new one. 

New contract to include large salary increase, clause he will be sold at the end of season provided we get promoted for a specific sum to be agreed £10-15m.  Sum likely to be fairly low to attract offers if too much no offers has to stay will not be attractive to Todd who wants to be a PL player.  A further clause to be Todd gets percentage of sales fee and that percentage increases with sales fee over the minimum  if £10m 10% if £20m 15%, if £30m 20% to influence Todd and his agents to get as much as possible.

Todd must perform at PL better than last season to get his move.  Even if Norwich stay up expect Todd to want to move to a more stable PL club.  Performance at Champs level will not get move to one of the established clubs who can pay the higher wages.  Sure Todd will not want to play for Burnley or Palace looking for move to attractive club.   But will need to play PL and may not play if new contract not signed Todd needs to be told to encourage signature.  Norwich will not want him to leave for nothing at end of season.

If not promoted and no PL club interested a new contract will be of interest otherwise may be looking at other Champs clubs with less potential than Norwich.  But Emi and Max  leaving may make Norwich a less attractive proposition.

New Contract must be attractive at wage level.  His last contract took time to sign due to Todd unhappy with the money offered, guess still on lower wage structure than those who signed new contracts in Summer 2020.     

His performance yesterday was very aesthetically pleasing, and rightly gained plenty of plaudits, and am very pleased that he's still here and putting shifts in like that.

I'd be interested to see some more objective stats of his game yesterday though, as I felt that the flicks and tricks masked an industrious but reasonably uneventful game for him, but would be happy to be corrected by some stats to the contrary.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I can see that; he has enormous potential. He'll have to add more goals and assists to his tally though - as well as sign a new contract.

26 minutes ago, Orly said:

His performance yesterday was very aesthetically pleasing, and rightly gained plenty of plaudits, and am very pleased that he's still here and putting shifts in like that.

I'd be interested to see some more objective stats of his game yesterday though, as I felt that the flicks and tricks masked an industrious but reasonably uneventful game for him, but would be happy to be corrected by some stats to the contrary.

Stats are always interesting and can tell you something, but they can never tell you everything.

Emi puts a beautifully weighted through ball to Teemu who scores. Todd plays a glorious cross field pass to put Aarons in one-on-one - Aarons takes a poor first touch and his subsequent mis-hit shot is saved.

Equally good bits of play by Todd and Emi, but stats show an Emi assist and nothing for Todd. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me its all about if we go up or not. He may be a local lad but he will have his career aspirations which probably are a lot higher than a club like Norwich can offer. With a year left after this season if we are still in the championship and he does not sign an extension then he has all the aces and we need to sell as soon as we can for as much that we can get in the summer. If we go up then we can offer him a lucrative contract with no doubt a sell on figure included. This would suit all parties, he has a decent wedge guaranteed, he could show his talents in the PL and probably invite a bid from a bigger and richer club that would satisfy the management here. In many ways we are a similar size club to Leicester but without that financial investment we have a glass ceiling of getting promoted and relegated again on a regular basis. Leicester can offer top half PL football and without that top  young players will not want to hang around here too long

And Cantwell puts in a much bigger shift in the centre of midfield than Emi does.

They are both beautiful players, equally as important if we want success, performing different roles in the AM position.

I’d bet if we go up, both will be happy to sign an extension if we invest, both have the best years ahead and both would end up on the bench for most top ten premiership sides. 
So for me it’s going to be about investment to prove we’re a little more serious about staying up.

He is an attractive looking footballer. One or two of his turns in the last couple of games have been breath-taking - they work at this level; not sure they did or will at PL level. He is still developing with us; still disappears as the game progresses, but getting more and more influential. Honestly, another season with Norwich and he will get his dream move, but if he goes too early he will disappear. He must know that. Anew contract with an agreed buyout must be the solution if we go up. If we don't go up I can't see us getting more than a few £m. Even then I can't think of who would want him as a certain starter in the PL.

Is there something about having come through the youth ranks, a club have to pay a fee, even if he is out of contract. This may just be lockdown hallucinations of course!!

It'd be far cheaper in the long run to extend Todd's contract now. We might not be able to afford it but it protects the club from getting nothing for him. Plus to replace Todd with someone of near equal ability would be well over £10m if not more, with no transfer fee to offset it.

That of course means any future transfer fee for him will be huge, which might put off many clubs, but if it happens Todd would be laughing all the way to the bank. 

We don't know what has gone on behind the scenes in terms of previous contract talks with him, but the club doesn't look as if they played this one particularly well unless they are highly confident he'll sign a new deal.

36 minutes ago, Downloads said:

And Cantwell puts in a much bigger shift in the centre of midfield than Emi does.

They are both beautiful players, equally as important if we want success, performing different roles in the AM position.

Can’t agree with that, Emi never goes hiding is without doubt the better player of the two. One is very good, the other is excellent. 

4 minutes ago, dj11 said:

Is there something about having come through the youth ranks, a club have to pay a fee, even if he is out of contract. This may just be lockdown hallucinations of course!!

Now he’s signed a professional contract I don’t think that applies. If a player runs out their youth contract I believe that you go to arbitration for compensation. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Downloads said:

Look at our results without Emi and our results without Todd. Emi is by far more important. 

Todd plays much better when Emi is in the team because he creates space and movement for Todd to exploit. Emi works really hard for the team and again this rubs off on Todd. If Todd goes to a top team he would do well as he would have more class to help him prosper... I really hope he doesn't end up at Newcastle / Burnley type team... I hope he and Emi are still with us in the premiership next year.