Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Todd Cantwell value

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Todd plays much better when Emi is in the team because he creates space and movement for Todd to exploit. Emi works really hard for the team and again this rubs off on Todd. If Todd goes to a top team he would do well as he would have more class to help him prosper... I really hope he doesn't end up at Newcastle / Burnley type team... I hope he and Emi are still with us in the premiership next year.

I'd also argue that Todd seems to struggle without Emi but I don't think Emi struggles without Todd. Cantwell is excellent but I don't think he's quite able to be the main creator in a team like ours.

I agree King, but it might also be a case of if Emi isn't playing it's very easy to mark and bully Todd out of the game. Emi isn't so easy to keep quiet as we know, sometimes it ends badly when he hits out but the reason he's so good is because he's ferociously tenacious, Todd just isn't that type of player

Cantwell, whilst very good has a feel of Jamal Lewis to me. I don't think either of them will ultimately end up at the same level as Godfrey / Aarons / Buendia and may need to cash in on their success to get a top move, whilst their stock is at it's height. There is an air of inevitability about Aarons / Buendia and Godfrey playing at a high level, so they can be more choosey. I still think Todd is very good and I would like him to stay, but, it may be the reason that ultimately he won't.

5 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I have a friend who deals with Daddy Cantwell on a regular basis, and supposedly Todd was packing his bags for a PL team when Everton came in for Godfrey and Webber 're-evaluated' the asking price for Cantwell. Deal broke down and that led to the little spat at the start of the season.

Personally I'm not sure how much of that I believe, but if there is truth in it I think we would struggle to get him to sign anything.

Michael Bailey had said in his end of season article that the club expected moves for Godfrey, Buendia and Cantwell last summer, and that the prices for Aarons and Lewis were unlikely to be met. Clearly things changed and Emi and Todd ended up missing the Bournemouth game (arguably as a result)

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I'd also argue that Todd seems to struggle without Emi but I don't think Emi struggles without Todd. Cantwell is excellent but I don't think he's quite able to be the main creator in a team like ours.

My feeling with why the team struggles without Emi is that he is the biggest risk taker in the side, whereas the rest of our creative players tend to be a little safer and go for the easier option (this includes giving it to Emi when he is playing). However, Todd is young and can improve plenty, and he took quite the risk last night chopping the ball past the man on the edge of the box, but the reward was clear as we went flying up the pitch on an attack.

20 hours ago, ricardo said:

I keep telling you that when he goes it will be for more than any of them.

You may well be right if the Coventry game is anything to go by. He's getting better and better 

21 hours ago, ricardo said:

I keep telling you that when he goes it will be for more than any of them.

Probably @ricardo, he is a couple of years younger than Buendia, English, attacking and has proved he has the game for the Prem.

Short contract though

On 18/02/2021 at 08:47, It's Character Forming said:

There was also the point in time when all the young stars were getting improved contracts and Cantwell's took a lot longer than the others to agree and the speculation was his contract wasn't as good as the others, at that point he was a bit less developed.

I do believe he wanted a new contract but he was told to prove himself first. 

We should have just tied it up. 

On 18/02/2021 at 11:55, Orly said:

His performance yesterday was very aesthetically pleasing, and rightly gained plenty of plaudits, and am very pleased that he's still here and putting shifts in like that.

I'd be interested to see some more objective stats of his game yesterday though, as I felt that the flicks and tricks masked an industrious but reasonably uneventful game for him, but would be happy to be corrected by some stats to the contrary.

Another great example of the limitations stats have when it comes to giving the full picture occurred today.

Emi plays a through ball to Pukki. Two Rotherham players move to cut it out, but are put off by a lovely feint by Cantwell who moves towards the ball, before letting it run. The ball goes through to Pukki who takes it on and scores. The stats show an Emi assist and nothing for Todd - yet in reality Todd's dummy is just as important in making the goal as Emi's original through ball. 

• Like 5

On 18/02/2021 at 08:46, dylanisabaddog said:

Oooh. I didn't realise he hadn't signed up with the others. I'll have to try harder to pay attention. 

I don't know who's advising him but he must have lost a lot of money already. Surely he realises that we always sell when the price is right? He's going to have to get a huge deal to make up for what he's lost over this season and last. 

He signed a new contract after promotion in summer 2019.

But it was a 3 year deal rather than the 5 years that Aarons signed. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2021 at 10:20, Chelm Canary said:

I do believe he wanted a new contract but he was told to prove himself first. 

We should have just tied it up. 

He signed a new contract in summer 2019 just like the others.

It was just a shorter one, 3 years from that point. 

On 18/02/2021 at 07:07, dylanisabaddog said:

Reports were suggesting that we were looking for £15/20m for Todd last summer but his performances in the last few games have been outstanding. 

I think we'll struggle to hold on to him in the summer and the say goes for Max and Emi. But £15m looks ridiculously low based on his recent performances. 

Outstanding - and eye catching - yesterday . I think he thrives on Emi being in the side . Tod seems to be less effective when Emi is absent . Not sure why 

As I’ve said before Football noticed Todd some time back including in our failed Prem season. 

An exceptional talent .