Sign in to follow this  
GPB

How Crap Was Daryl Sutch?

Showed more passion and commitment than most of the current squad put together.

Might not have been the most naturally skilled player, but a grafter and played to his strengths.

He was Mr Norwich City... Although he lacked a little bit in the technical department, he made up for it with sheer determination! Don''t forget he played in EVERY position for us at one time or the other, even in goal!

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]My lasting memory was that penalty at cardiff.[/quote]

At least he had the guts to step up and take one.  He was not the only player who missed either.......................

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]My lasting memory was that penalty at cardiff.[/quote]

At least he had the guts to step up and take one.  He was not the only player who missed either.......................

[/quote]

i''m not having a go, just making a point that the miss unfortunately is my lasting memory mainly becaise it was the last thing he did for us.

Personally I like Daryl Sutch. He was very commitment and that isn''t an easy thing to come by these days! Not a good as Edworthy but still good enough!

Oh for heavens sake, are things really that dreadful at the moment that some of you are caught up in some sepia tinted world that has let you forget just how bad Sutch was. 

People I beg to you consider the following

Yes he did get a call up for the England Under 21’s, just the once though as it was by mistake!  Bear in mind that at the very same time we had a prolific English Under 21 striker who didn’t get called up with Sutch but did for the very next game.  Funny that!

Clearly the management were so impressed with Sutchinio they had a closer look at Norwich and realised it was in fact Chris Sutton and they wanted and not the Carthorse from Lowestoft, you wouldn’t make that mistake twice would you?

Blackburn came in for the Sutchmeister at the same time they were outbidding us for various players when we were chasing the Premiership title, I think one was some Swede called Anderson.  Can you imagine the hilarity of getting £500k off Blackburn for that lemon?

Add into the Sutchy Boy equation the following points and you really have got yourself the consummate ‘Hall Of Shame’ legend

He couldn’t pass

He couldn’t tackle

He bottled it frequently.  QED Cardiff

He is a Binner

He ruined countless Saturday afternoons by just being there, pointing aimlessly and for all the world looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights

After leaving Norwich his professional career plummeted and was over by the time he was 33 and it wasn’t due to injury, it was due to being utterly hopeless

Cast your minds back, at the time of the dark days of the mid 90’s when good players were being sold for peanuts nobody ever came in for him, how tragic is that?

To conclude, me ol’ mate Daryl is without doubt one of the most god awful players to ever put the shirt on and absolutely nothing could convince me to the contrary

PS  Finally we seem to have found a more than adequate replacement in Andy Hughes, cheers Nige! Nice one me old mucker

[quote user="Bury Green"]

Oh for heavens sake, are things really that dreadful at the moment that some of you are caught up in some sepia tinted world that has let you forget just how bad Sutch was. 

People I beg to you consider the following

Yes he did get a call up for the England Under 21’s, just the once though as it was by mistake!  Bear in mind that at the very same time we had a prolific English Under 21 striker who didn’t get called up with Sutch but did for the very next game.  Funny that!

Clearly the management were so impressed with Sutchinio they had a closer look at Norwich and realised it was in fact Chris Sutton and they wanted and not the Carthorse from Lowestoft, you wouldn’t make that mistake twice would you?

Blackburn came in for the Sutchmeister at the same time they were outbidding us for various players when we were chasing the Premiership title, I think one was some Swede called Anderson.  Can you imagine the hilarity of getting £500k off Blackburn for that lemon?

Add into the Sutchy Boy equation the following points and you really have got yourself the consummate ‘Hall Of Shame’ legend

He couldn’t pass

He couldn’t tackle

He bottled it frequently.  QED Cardiff

He is a Binner

He ruined countless Saturday afternoons by just being there, pointing aimlessly and for all the world looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights

After leaving Norwich his professional career plummeted and was over by the time he was 33 and it wasn’t due to injury, it was due to being utterly hopeless

Cast your minds back, at the time of the dark days of the mid 90’s when good players were being sold for peanuts nobody ever came in for him, how tragic is that?

To conclude, me ol’ mate Daryl is without doubt one of the most god awful players to ever put the shirt on and absolutely nothing could convince me to the contrary

PS  Finally we seem to have found a more than adequate replacement in Andy Hughes, cheers Nige! Nice one me old mucker

[/quote]

I think you are being very unfair to an extremley good servant to this club in his years here.

He certainly showed more compasion and commitment than some of the rabble we have at present.

And as for him being a binner.....what tosh....i know he is a life long city fan as i went to school with him in Lowestoft.

you are right me old mucker , i will all ways remember his tackle at old trafford or lack of tackle when we were top of the leauge . he ducked out   from the colby canary

Go easy on the lad. Sutchy was a talented young player who never quite

fulfilled his potential. He wasn''t the first, and he won''t be the last.

I remember seeing him play as a young right winger, dribbling past

fullback as if they weren''t there. Sadly he lost confidence and ended

up as a fullback himself, when really he should have moved clubs and

onto better things.

As for his play-off final penalty miss. With hindsight I''m glad he did

miss it. We had a much weaker squad then, than the one that eventually

did make it to the Premiership. We would have just got relegated in our

first Premiership season, and ended up right back where we started

struggling in the lower half of the football league. Oh, hang on a

minute...

Bury Green is right, he was utterly dreadful.

But how good was he in goal???!! My God, we could have saved a packet on reserve keepers with Sutchy on the books.

Sounds like the loyalty of Flem and the effort of Hughes in one  -minus the clapping of course!  Perhaps Hem would be asuitable name!

Good loyal squad player with limited ability!

In answer to the question : Unbelieveably crap.Not gifted in any department really.

However, I would like to add my name to the others who have pointed out that at least he gave 100 per cent for the shirt - how many of Worthy''s signings this season can hold their heads high and say the same ?

How crap?

He was very very crap.

nb Except...I remember a great goal at Sunderland once...We were all surprised

My abiding memory is of Newman is knowing he was about to conceed that penalty against Inter at home,  its was so obvious I even had time to turn to my brother and tell him what was about to happen.    It seemed to sum him up perfectly.

Suprb chin on him too - remember a couple of rucks where he was hit but didnt flinch!  Same his football wasnt as good.