Dean Coneys boots

End of season blues

Strikes me that the end of this season is going to be tough. The perfect storm heading our way. 

Let’s say we get promoted - which is likely. 

last season showed that we will need a major upgrade of players to compete. historically we struggle to attract top talent so will need lots of money 

However the very players who are of the right standard to build around seem certain to depart- Aarons, Emi  and Todd...

So we could face a situation where not only do we need to upgrade in a major way but we also lose our top talent before we begin, at which point will the board go for it or just cross their fingers again and accept relegation? 

just in case you were enjoying yourselves (as I am) 😂😜

Yes, it does seem that the players at Norwich that are good enough for Premier League survival are the ones likely to be offered big money to go elsewhere... and those at Norwich that aren't are just doing themselves out of a job.
However, this is a situation that most clubs getting promoted to the Premier League will have to solve.
Considering the current climate, I'll just be glad of the £££ as I think many clubs at any level will be seriously struggling.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Strikes me that the end of this season is going to be tough. The perfect storm heading our way. 

last season showed that we will need a major upgrade of players to compete. historically we struggle to attract top talent so will need lots of money 

However the very players who are of the right standard to build around seem certain to depart- Aarons, Emi  and Todd...

So we could face a situation where not only do we need to upgrade in a major way but we also lose our top talent before we begin, at which point will the board go for it or just cross their fingers again and accept relegation? 

This is exactly the situation. 

You have omitted the players who we have on loan. They are in no way guaranteed to be here in August. 

Can we at least get promoted first before you have a clear out and relegation certified. 

26 minutes ago, Number9 said:

This is exactly the situation. 

You have omitted the players who we have on loan. They are in no way guaranteed to be here in August. 

Skipp's the only one who we don't have an option on. If we get promoted we'll be buying Gibson and I imagine Giannoulis.

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

Can we at least get promoted first before you have a clear out and relegation certified. 

Give DCB a break, he's had so little to moan about so had to create a theoretical situation to feed his appetite 😂

Webber has already said we will be looking at doing it a different way when we go up. I would expect £75m for Emi, Todd and Max and if we add £25m to that we have a big pot to play with. The question is how well we spend it. Webber and Farke are as good as anyone in that respect but it's never as easy when other clubs know you have money. 

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Webber has already said we will be looking at doing it a different way when we go up. I would expect £75m for Emi, Todd and Max and if we add £25m to that we have a big pot to play with. The question is how well we spend it. Webber and Farke are as good as anyone in that respect but it's never as easy when other clubs know you have money. 

It's not the fee, it's the wages that will kill us. I'm sure we could have spent 15+ million on a player previously, but the wages that they will command will not fit our wage structure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Maybe we could win the league and gift the promotion to whoever comes third?

I much prefer the championship 

Agreed- You tend to forget what it's like watching your team win and play well in the prem

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course it will be a struggle if we go up, but there is no reason why we cant be competitive at the lower end of the Prem, we have a good recruitment team and know more than most what now to expect.

If we get promoted, we are in a much better position to keep our players. Simply to players like Max, Todd and Emi - do you want a big money move to a side where you'll probably spend most of the time on the bench, or do you want to stay with a team where the fans adore you, the team adores you and you're enjoying your football to play week in week out with a decent new contract and pay rise with the view of if we go down we can sit down and see what you want to do next?

Last time we were not prepared to stay up, but I still think if fans had have been at Carrow Road we would have ended the season stronger. It's a shame as we started off the season so well, and the injuries didn't help. I certainly feel the bottom 3 in the Prem this season are certainly no better than we are at the moment. I already think we have a much more balanced squad, and most importantly we have better depth with quality players to come off the bench. There's no doubt we'll be bringing in a few bodies if we go up, the good news is we are better defensively this season quite clearly, whilst still retaining a lot of attacking intent - whether that will work again in the Prem will remain to be seen but I have faith in Farke and Webber that if we do go up we'll give it a better go this time around

• Like 1

• 1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We'll just have to consider some of the outstanding players left in the Championship as one route, along with those we retain and our youngsters. Players like Massengo of Bristol City. They won't be cheap and there will be competition but we cannot, or should not, take the Watford route and reach out as far as the £30m they paid for the very useful, but not particularly oustanding, Sarr.

• Webbere/Farke and the scouts have built up a proven track record of recognising outstanding individulas whilst not breaking the bank.

• There's many a slip etc. So let's not get ahead of ourselves, but either way we have surely already  built up a useful stable of  promising youngsters. You only have to recall how the Coventrty commentary team bemoaned the absence of Sam McCallum last night as proof of this. Soto, Sinani. Mumba  etc. are all being groomed for a purpose.

• Promotion or not, Buendia or not we'll be up exactly what we are, what our project is designed for and our own man.

• There's a certain status in being the country's leading  yo-yo club, and you never know we might just hang on in there for a while. The Premier League is not just the top eight or so. I've seen a lot of crap football on the television of late from teams who could welll survive and might well be our opponents next season. 

• It need be remembered also that should we fail this season we will then benefit from the second year of parachute payments.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

So we could survive if promoted even after all the likely departures? You weren’t so confident in recent weeks. 

If we lost Todd and Max in the summer then at least a couple of our new signings are going to be pricey as they're going to have to be home-grown. 

Since we're a yo-yo club we'll need a 'new' song when we eventually get back inside the ground.

How about (to the tune of Yellow Submarine)

"Going up and going down - going up and going down - City's going up and City's going down, city's going down, city's going down"

I'm sure I've heard it somewhere before.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If we lost Todd and Max in the summer then at least a couple of our new signings are going to be pricey as they're going to have to be home-grown. 

But the funds would be there to at least have a go this time (if promoted)

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

But the funds would be there to at least have a go this time (if promoted)

Yeah, I'm just saying we'd have to accept not getting 'value for money' from a couple of our signings if we have to use the home grown market - which in all likelihood we will have to.

Edited by hogesar

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, I'm just saying we'd have to accept not getting 'value for money' from a couple of our signings if we have to use the home grown market - which in all likelihood we will have to.

We cant have it both ways Hoggo, we expect a good price for our players...because they are decent and home grown(-except Emi), we will be expected to pay a good price too, though the lure of a bit of cash with add ons sbould they succeed may be enough to secure those that we go after. Either way, footy, with its spirralling fees and wages is set up to eat up every available buck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

All its, buts and maybes.

IF we do go up do we have a squad half made up of players who probably wont be good enough, the likes of Vrancic, Stiepermann, Zimmermann etc. Last thing we want is to get promoted and not even compete like last time and were probably too loyal to the players that got us there (that's not a criticism as there wasnt much choice financially anyway).

IF we dont go up and lose, Emi, Cantwell & Aaron's. Gibson, Giannoulis, Quintilla, Skipp all return to their clubs, then theres a big rebuild needed. 

Players like Famewo, Mcallum, Sinani etc who have done ok on loan spells come back in the mix but not if we get promoted.

It's a bit paradoxical that the recruits we've brought in this season have strengthened the team i.e. Skipp, Gibson, Sorensen, Giannoullis.  Despite selling Godfrey & Lewis, we're actually looking a better balanced and stronger team overall.   When we were promoted to the Prem, we actually ended up IMO with a starting squad that was less strong than the squad that had won promotion, then when we had enough CB injuries that we had to play a DM at CB it was pretty much game over.  No team can sustain  its performance if it has enough injuries at the CB position, just look at Liverpool.

My attitude is Que cera whatever.  I can see us losing all of Todd, Emi and Max plus the loan players even after promotion.  But if we do, like @dylanisabaddog said, we'll have something like £75m in the bank on top of the extra money for being in the Prem.  Then we just recruit pragmatically, not throwing silly amounts at players, and aim to rebuild a solid squad who'll give it a shot in the Prem, but will be well placed to go straight back up if necessary.

It would be great if we can keep the current team together, I just can't see it happening, but I'm loving the ride this season anyway.

Let's face it, being top of the Champs is much more fun than scrapping towards 40 points in the Prem ?

As a growing city the club and supporters seem to just accept that we are only capable of spending a season or two in The Premiership before the inevitable happens and we are relegated. 
Would be nice that players want to come to Norwich knowing that the club is ambitious and not being told we want to be a top 26 club by the BOD

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

There isn't much to disagree with in the OP but it is also best not thought about. Enjoy the now.

It's actually quite a positive things that DCB is posting this - generally he posts something negative and the opposite happens.

I.e, we were going to sell ALL our young players in the summer:

It does seem like there is little determination to keep them. Cash in and bank the money having not spent the money last summer either. Nice earner but, if they do sell them, fans have every right to feel let down. Where is the ambition?

Totally agree- unfortunately I can see all 5 going

Or, that instead of challenging for promotion we'd be struggling to stay in the championship this year

Can’t argue with any of that. And I am not convinced we are bouncing back either / we could be back to struggling for champ survival 

Or, that at the start of the season after we lost 1-0 to Bournemouth (I think, anyway) that Farke should only be a couple of games from the sack:

I like DF - I think he merits a few more games but the clock must be ticking .This is a club with a track record of taking too long to pull the trigger - we mustn’t make that..

Or maybe just generally that the board have no ambition to get promoted this season and just want a load of money for *insert random libellous reason here*

I personally don’t think they care much for the prem, lacking the necessary resources to be competitive in it, but the fans do and there is the problem for them. At the moment - despite epic spin that has many believing relegation and selling the best players is part of an ambitious plan - all the action suggests the ambition is only to fill the coffers...we shall see 

What I'm trying to say is we should take great comfort from this thread; I'm now more confident than ever that we'll be challenging for Europe when we get promoted.

52 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Since we're a yo-yo club we'll need a 'new' song when we eventually get back inside the ground.

How about (to the tune of Yellow Submarine)

"Going up and going down - going up and going down - City's going up and City's going down, city's going down, city's going down"

I'm sure I've heard it somewhere before.

My sons and I have been singing the previous version of this, all season, albeit slightly adapted. "We're going up, they're staying down... etc"

Surely someone has the time to do a spreadsheet which lists all the squad, allocates a fair transfer valuation to them, and in the case of loanees with an option to buy, their known transfer fee.  add in likely salaries and our bank balance and the likely income for next season, then we can all play.  ah, but that's the job of the club's FD .......