Canary dwarf

Jacob Sorenson appreciation society

Still think this Danish badge should be starting for us in his preferered position , Skipps undroppable Kenny not , still love Kenny but Jacob offers more .otbc 

• Like 2

Need a more attacking player like Rupp who can move the ball accurately and quickly. Sorenson is the defensive option.

Kenny is providing the fulcrum in midfield when we transition. He's not exactly perfect for the role, but we're winning again so he's not going to lose his place.

Vrancic seems to be molding himself into the new Stiepermann: heavy touch, looks awkward, somehow effective. He's definitely off the pace and can't last 90 minutes; certainly not twice in a week.

I keep hoping that Dowell will do something in one of his cameos and stake a claim for a starting place, but maybe Kenny could operate at no 10 and Sorensen come into the midfield.

I thought Kenny was pretty important today as the one who drove through the pressing Coventry central players and gave us a bit of space in final third.

• Like 1

I keep seeing some individual play from Kenny that apparently nobody else is seeing. 

There's been the odd mistake but he's comfortable on the ball, calm and takes a few opposition players out of the game before shifting it well. 

I'm glad he's starting right now. 

He often keeps hold of the ball a bit longer than it looks like he should, but then opens up something else that wasn't immediately obvious. He see's the game a few steps ahead. 

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Kenny is providing the fulcrum in midfield when we transition. He's not exactly perfect for the role, but we're winning again so he's not going to lose his place.

Vrancic seems to be molding himself into the new Stiepermann: heavy touch, looks awkward, somehow effective. He's definitely off the pace and can't last 90 minutes; certainly not twice in a week.

I keep hoping that Dowell will do something in one of his cameos and stake a claim for a starting place, but maybe Kenny could operate at no 10 and Sorensen come into the midfield.

The no 10 is a big issue and not sure quite what the answer is , hope farke knows.😂

Sorensen needs to be ready to fill the gap Skipp will leave. 

For that reason he needs some minutes under his belt this season. 

It'd be suicidal for him to be first choice, potentially in the Premier League next season after having not played at CM much. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

It'd be suicidal for him to be first choice, potentially in the Premier League next season after having not played at CM much. 

Admittedly we've not seen anything from Jacob in CM but I don't see him as a player in the Skipp mould.

29 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

You would think it would be more suicidal to drop him out of position at LB for his first start at a new club at the last minute with zero preparation...

What I'm saying is you cannot say it would be suicidal at all. We don't know that.

I agree about not dropping McClean but Vrancic isn’t very good when he starts far better as an impact player.

I’m certainly not convinced by Dowell he’s been utterly poor in every game I’ve seen him in and that’s why I’d start with a three of Skipp, Sorensen and McClean.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

I agree about not dropping McClean but Vrancic isn’t very good when he starts far better as an impact player.

I’m certainly not convinced by Dowell he’s been utterly poor in every game I’ve seen him in and that’s why I’d start with a three of Skipp, Sorensen and McClean.

Id like to see Dowell for more than 10 minutes before we jump to conclusions. I agree he hasn't looked anything special but with injuries and small cameo appearances it's certainly too early to judge.

To be fair if Stiepermann gets fit and up to speed he'd probably go straight in the side.

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You would think it would be more suicidal to drop him out of position at LB for his first start at a new club at the last minute with zero preparation...

What I'm saying is you cannot say it would be suicidal at all. We don't know that.

Different kettle of fish playing Left Back for a top side who will have plently of possession vs Playing CM in Premier League where he'd be chasing shadows for 90 Minutes week in week out. 

We've tried McLean at 10 against Swansea - didn't work. In fact each time Vrancic hasn't started in games we've lost ! It'd better to play Vrancic at 10 for 70 minutes than leave him out - with other clubs so close to us I wouldn't risk it.  We can't address the No 10 situation this season. We can change formation and play Idah with Pukki up front or use either a winger Hernandez or Placheta with Buendia and Cantwell.

McLean had 3/4 excellent games for us coming back from injury. It was the first time in 3 seasons I thought he warranted his place in the team, but unfortuately after comimg back from Covid he has not been the same. He is still a presence and carries the ball but not as tidy and gives the ball away with short inaccurate "hospital" passes to team mates, decision making on attack - not passing into space behind defenders often turning and resetting with backward passes - things that made McLean very good for those 3/4 games.  Rupp is a clear thinker & accurate player and looks a better option for McLean's position. If Skipp plays, Sorensen would not be the ideal partner as both are defensive and we need a more forward dynamic player in the middle. 

To get more gametime Sorensen should be played in the U23 game with Leeds this Firday.

• Like 1

feel like I've been watching a different McLean to many here recently... he's been fantastic next to skip bar that weird assist attempt vs Stoke.

Tough to know how Sorenson will break back into the side as number 10 looks the only spot really up for grabs at the moment... I'd assume Kenny will be given a game off at some point for Sorenson to be given a run out unless the defence has a few injuries that Jacob needs to cover.

Thing I like about Kenny is his ability to ghost past a couple of players when he drives forwards - completely taking those players out of the game.  

It's like he lulls them in with that weird semi walk / run thing he does and then seems to be able to immediately switch the afterburners on.  Deceptively quick in short bursts.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Id like to see Dowell for more than 10 minutes before we jump to conclusions. I agree he hasn't looked anything special but with injuries and small cameo appearances it's certainly too early to judge.

To be fair if Stiepermann gets fit and up to speed he'd probably go straight in the side.

The problem with Dowell is that he's going to finish this season having hardly played, then expected to make the leap to top tier football if we're promoted? 

He's been a bit unfortunate to never really get going this season, but can easily see him being one who is left behind in the Championship (season long loan somewhere probably). 

Its similar to that stop start season Chris Martin had in our promotion season from Championship under Lambert, didn't go into the Prem season with the same momentum and confidence as the other players despite in reality being just as good (if not better) than Steve Morison as a player, so was farmed out.

Just looking like it isn't really going to happen for Dowell here now unless we manage to somehow f*ck up our promotion or we get a few injuries in the near future.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Tough to know how Sorenson will break back into the side as number 10 looks the only spot really up for grabs at the moment... 

He's simultaneously serving as our backup right back, backup left back, and backup defensive midfielder. I'm sure he'll get a few more appearances this season.

Xavi Quintilla must be feeling a bit awkward off the back of 19 games in La Liga last season for Villarreal to being third choice left back at a second tier club, behind an inexperienced right footed Danish utility player. Wonder what went wrong there, as he looked ok to me? 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's simultaneously serving as our backup right back, backup left back, and backup defensive midfielder. I'm sure he'll get a few more appearances this season.

Xavi Quintilla must be feeling a bit awkward off the back of 19 games in La Liga last season for Villarreal to being third choice left back at a second tier club, behind an inexperienced right footed Danish utility player. Wonder what went wrong there, as he looked ok to me? 

On a similar theme there is a fascinating interview with Sam Mc Callum in The Athletic this week. Farke sounds very demanding of his full backs. But as the Greek guy is now looking very good indeed it's hard to argue with Farke. 

As for Jacob, I would think Saturday was the ideal opportunity to give him a game in midfield. Skipp must need a break by now. 

7 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

The no 10 is a big issue and not sure quite what the answer is , hope farke knows.😂

Obvious answer is to ditch it and play 4-3-2-1 instead like the AC Milan side under Ancelotti with Pirlo in there.

6 hours ago, Ian said:

Admittedly we've not seen anything from Jacob in CM but I don't see him as a player in the Skipp mould.

No-one saw him as a left-back but he did a fine job there. He looks quite similar to Skipp to me as a defensive midfielder in terms of mopping things up and getting feet in.

Then again, I see Skipp as a far more mobile version of Tettey and is better on the ball, but less of a pure physical presence. Sorensen looks like he's not too far off in terms of tackling and mobility, but might have more of a progressive passing game in his locker.

Farke doesn't change a winning side, but personally I feel a tweak or two over a demanding period will keep us fresh, motivated and hopefully avoid any flat or complacent performances. 

Vrancic and Dowel can be used interchangeably, as can McLean and Rupp. Although our record when Vrancic starts cant be overlooked! Steipermann can also be slotted in without changing the system or causing disruption. 

Point is, we have some cracking options of similar abilities. One or two changes in the right positions will enhance progress, rather than disrupt it.

I'd like to see us try and do this a bit more, rather than after a defeat or poor performance. Tough one for Farke though, as he leaves himself open for criticism if a winning side is changed and then performs poorly. But the championship is demanding, and Farke needs to utilise all resources available to maximise performance. 

• Like 1

It's a problem Farke had two seasons ago.  

A team wins, so it remains unchanged. Eventually the team gets absolutely knackered but the players on the bench are so rusty because they've only been subbed on at 85 mins.

We're probably going to be promoted, as it stands we don't have a team for the Premier League. 

9 hours ago, Downloads said:

I would try Sorenson there too, we don't have much to lose as Kenny isn't at the level prior to injury yet

And he won’t be if he gets dropped! 

33 minutes ago, Number9 said:

It's a problem Farke had two seasons ago.  

A team wins, so it remains unchanged. Eventually the team gets absolutely knackered but the players on the bench are so rusty because they've only been subbed on at 85 mins.

We're probably going to be promoted, as it stands we don't have a team for the Premier League. 

It wasn't a problem two seasons ago because we won the league with an unfancied side.

I feel similar to TvB about Dowell. He's in a really difficult space where through injury + the form of the team he's not proven himself; I don't think we would take the risk of going into another PL season with a bunch of 'maybes' at #10.

Skipp will start if available, that's clear as day. Whether it's Kenny or Rupp alongside I think makes little difference, similar players. Sorensen I think has a destiny as the ball-playing base of a diamond midfield, but for now, he has to wait.

I think Farke wants to play Dowell more but it’s a bit of Catch 22 really as he needs more game time to get into a bit of a rhythm but when he plays he isn’t doing enough to warrant a start for the next game.

Edited by FenwayFrank

If it ain't broke don't fix it is the mantra. We've just recovered from a little wobble, two decent displays in 5 days I'd keep it as we were. I do like Sorensen and he's definitely not under appreciated for what he did down that left side before Dimi came in, and to give credit to Dimi after a shakey start he's getting a lot better. I've no doubt Jakob will get his chances and that he has lots to offer, and it's a shame we haven't got an FA Cup run to give him some game time, but you cannot drop Skipp, and McLean and Vrancic have arguably done enough to keep their places.