lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Coventry*****

7 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm often very protective of referees, but Coventry certainly got the rub tonight. Gillett has done very well since he came over from Australia, but he was fussy with the whistle and punished us much more than Coventry. I thought Hanley had played the ball for his booking, not sure what others made of it. Couldn't complain about the bookings for Gibson and Cantwell, but the amount that Coventry got away with was bordering on ridiculous.

Still, another gold star for Emi for putting up with being kicked all night, I guess...

I thought he was ok to be honest. Bit too tolerant of their repeated fouling perhaps but other than that was fine. Could have sent Hanley  off to be honest. I don’t actually think it was a foul at all but once he gave it then it could have been a red. 

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Why are there 25 teams in that table?  Last time I looked, Fulham were in the PL (possibly only until May).

It is weird that it makes people with ‘only’ £23m look poor.

Wealth is relative

10 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm often very protective of referees, but Coventry certainly got the rub tonight. Gillett has done very well since he came over from Australia, but he was fussy with the whistle and punished us much more than Coventry. I thought Hanley had played the ball for his booking, not sure what others made of it. Couldn't complain about the bookings for Gibson and Cantwell, but the amount that Coventry got away with was bordering on ridiculous.

Still, another gold star for Emi for putting up with being kicked all night, I guess...

Ref done nothing to stop the persisting fouling by Coventry and I still am none the wiser as to why.

Other than the fact that referee's at this level are generally trash.

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Ref done nothing to stop the persisting fouling by Coventry and I still am none the wiser as to why.

Other than the fact that referee's at this level are generally trash.

From what the commentators said last night it sounds as if that ref was a bit of a regular for Coventry home games, although most of what they said was tosh.😀

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I thought he was ok to be honest. Bit too tolerant of their repeated fouling perhaps but other than that was fine. Could have sent Hanley  off to be honest. I don’t actually think it was a foul at all but once he gave it then it could have been a red. 

Yeah, I did think that if he deemed it a foul there was a clear case for a red. Can't blame him for wanting to keep 22 on the field unless it's cut and dried though. There were a few times where he blew for fouls instead of playing advantage, which didn't help the flow of the game. He wasn't particularly bad, and that's the worst game I've seen him have so far. Have watched three or four games now, and he seems to be pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised to see him tried out at Prem level within the next year or so.

Considering the time of the year did not think the pitch was that bad. A bit threadbare but did not seem to cut up. I certainly do not think it affected the rampant ball playing Cantwell, particularly in the first half.

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, I did think that if he deemed it a foul there was a clear case for a red. Can't blame him for wanting to keep 22 on the field unless it's cut and dried though. There were a few times where he blew for fouls instead of playing advantage, which didn't help the flow of the game. He wasn't particularly bad, and that's the worst game I've seen him have so far. Have watched three or four games now, and he seems to be pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised to see him tried out at Prem level within the next year or so.

There was a case for sending off a player from each side - some refs would have done. I thought he was OK - the bookings we got were deserved - certainly Cantwell's and Gibson's were. He didn't seem to give out a card to anyone for persistent fouling.

14 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Why are there 25 teams in that table?  Last time I looked, Fulham were in the PL (possibly only until May).

It is weird that it makes people with ‘only’ £23m look poor.

Delia has supposedly been worth £23m since about 1998. If I was her investment adviser I'd expect to be sacked. That £23m should have at least trebled in that time.

On 17/02/2021 at 21:50, kick it off said:

Sounds a bit sour considering we sold 2 of our academy products for £40 million ish in the summer and spent about 25% of that. The parachute payments are pretty much untouched, certainly in terms of transfer fees.

The squad that got relegated was exactly the same one that got promoted the year before plus Sam Byram. We spent a total of 750k when we went up (plus loan fees on some utter dross players who aren't with us anymore) The squad that went up the year before was put together on a shoestring.

Not sure that buying our way to success is a fair accusation seeing as we've not really spent any money over the last few years and have had James Maddison, Ben Godfrey and Jamal Lewis  bought for big bucks. 

The point is not about 'buying your way to success', it's just a natural point that I suspect your turnover is 10 times ours which is why I found it amusing looking at some of the comments on here. Supposing those players hadn't been sold, the parachute payments still provide a £45 million head start on everyone else. This has been a problem in the Championship for years.

My problem isn't so much with specific clubs but what the game has turned into in the top flight where ridiculous fees are exchanged for average players and enormous parachute payments are granted to those who finish hopelessly bottom. It's what then leads to the dire state of Championship finances with clubs selling their grounds to try and keep up or hoping that some dubious white knight will spend huge sums of money and never ask for it back. I was genuinely astounded that Newcastle's takeover was rejected considering all the shady characters who have been allowed to muscle in on various clubs.

All the best.

2 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

The point is not about 'buying your way to success', it's just a natural point that I suspect your turnover is 10 times ours which is why I found it amusing looking at some of the comments on here. Supposing those players hadn't been sold, the parachute payments still provide a £45 million head start on everyone else. This has been a problem in the Championship for years.

My problem isn't so much with specific clubs but what the game has turned into in the top flight where ridiculous fees are exchanged for average players and enormous parachute payments are granted to those who finish hopelessly bottom. It's what then leads to the dire state of Championship finances with clubs selling their grounds to try and keep up or hoping that some dubious white knight will spend huge sums of money and never ask for it back. I was genuinely astounded that Newcastle's takeover was rejected considering all the shady characters who have been allowed to muscle in on various clubs.

All the best.

But you had plenty of seasons to get into the premier league like we did. But after 34 years in the top flight you were never good enough to get back. You're club is now a total basket case and rather than looking jealously at others you'd do well to look to the mistakes closer to home. 

Perhaps they'll let you play three games after the season finishes so that at least you can stay up.... 

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But you had plenty of seasons to get into the premier league like we did. But after 34 years in the top flight you were never good enough to get back. You're club is now a total basket case and rather than looking jealously at others you'd do well to look to the mistakes closer to home. 

Perhaps they'll let you play three games after the season finishes so that at least you can stay up.... 

I could go into a long and boring 20 year account of how CCFC has ended up as a shadow of its previous self which is beyond the scope of anyone's interest here. It is odd though how I must think all is well at the club because I've passed comment on what football in this country has turned into at the top level and its effect on those further down. Look at the financial state of most clubs in the second tier, they are hopelessly throwing money they don't have and selling their stadia to try and keep up with those coming down from the top flight.

We have come up two divisions in 3 seasons and probably got promoted a bit too early. Wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

3 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I could go into a long and boring 20 year account of how CCFC has ended up as a shadow of its previous self which is beyond the scope of anyone's interest here. It is odd though how I must think all is well at the club because I've passed comment on what football in this country has turned into at the top level and its effect on those further down. Look at the financial state of most clubs in the second tier, they are hopelessly throwing money they don't have and selling their stadia to try and keep up with those coming down from the top flight.

We have come up two divisions in 3 seasons and probably got promoted a bit too early. Wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

And good luck to you. You can still get back. We've been promoted three times without parachute payments since the millennium.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

When we were in League One, Cov finished ahead of Crystal Palace in the League above, and us Leeds, Southampton  and Brighton in our League. Some get it right and some get it wrong. We've got it both right and wrong in that time. Cov are at the same position now as they were in 2009/10.