lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Coventry*****

Just been chatting to a couple of Coventry fans on FB, apparently their commentators are like that every week. By all accounts it took them to the 25th minute of their game v Millwall recently before they stopped calling them Sheffield Wednesday 😂

• Haha 1

Just now, Barbe bleu said:

Corner now turned and home straight?

No. We are now approaching the corner.

On reflection 2 draws and defeat wasn't much of a wobble. Still work to be done.

Matty James, Gonzalo Hamer and Calum O'Hare between them committed 13 fouls, no booking. Hanley, Gibson and Cantwell committed 3 fouls between them and got 3 yellow cards 😂 James in particular made 3 or 4 challenges that could easily be a yellow and yet he still refused to get his card out. Obviously no harm done in the end but it was genuinely amazing that the ref just seemed to be determined not to book any of Coventry's midfielders.

4 minutes ago, mastoola said:

For me the player of the night was Giannoulis.  Thought he was immense.

He is getting better and better, and perfect in a team that has lots of possession, not sure how he will fair when we are under the cosh but do like him a lot.

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I for one was very impressed by Pukki's performance in goal today, good on the Sky blues for playing well in the second half though, sky blues sure did show how sky blues they were today sky blues

Pukki played in goal and scored, got an assist and a clean sheet... That's some performance! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

err, you have to succeed to get to the PL first

though I will expect you will be next claiming that the losing cup finalists prize money is payment for failure

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No. We are now approaching the corner.

have we done the hill start yet ?

Superb performance overall. Emi was majestic and Pukki looks back to his brilliant best but Todd for me would be man of the match. Giannoulis was also excellent. With each game he plays he just looks better and better. Proper Championship test for him as well playing against a physical side on a shocking pitch and he passed it with flying colours. Kenny McLean was fantastic in the first half too. Great that Tim Krul/Martin Krul/Teemu Pukki/Teemu Krul has another clean sheet to his name.

Great 3 points and Brentford losing was a huge bonus. After not scoring for 4 straight games we genuinely could've scored double figures over the course of the last couple of matches. 3 games against teams in the bottom 4 now before playing a stuttering Brentford 😃 Just shows you how quickly things can change in football.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

He is getting better and better, and perfect in a team that has lots of possession, not sure how he will fair when we are under the cosh but do like him a lot.

Give it 5 more games and everyone will be saying "we will sell him for 20 or 30 mil in the summer   What are we gonna do"    btw i know hes on loan to buy

1 hour ago, king canary said:

As much as I like Farke I cannot fathom his use of subs.

You've got 5 to use, we've got games midweek for 3 weeks in a row yet we only make one change in the first 85 minutes?

Don't personally disagree with you but equally I remember others saying the same in our title winning season and telling us how it would cost us..

Did anyone else realise Coventry's nickname is the "Sky Blues"?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Matty James, Gonzalo Hamer and Calum O'Hare between them committed 13 fouls, no booking. Hanley, Gibson and Cantwell committed 3 fouls between them and got 3 yellow cards 😂 James in particular made 3 or 4 challenges that could easily be a yellow and yet he still refused to get his card out. Obviously no harm done in the end but it was genuinely amazing that the ref just seemed to be determined not to book any of Coventry's midfielders.

I'm often very protective of referees, but Coventry certainly got the rub tonight. Gillett has done very well since he came over from Australia, but he was fussy with the whistle and punished us much more than Coventry. I thought Hanley had played the ball for his booking, not sure what others made of it. Couldn't complain about the bookings for Gibson and Cantwell, but the amount that Coventry got away with was bordering on ridiculous.

Still, another gold star for Emi for putting up with being kicked all night, I guess...

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Don't personally disagree with you but equally I remember others saying the same in our title winning season and telling us how it would cost us..

Also, we're top of the league having had the worst injury crisis I can remember. Difficult to believe, but perhaps Farke knows the limits of his players and the benefit they get from minutes on the pitch?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

Maybe if we get £50 million for being relegated we'll make a fist of it next time

Sounds a bit sour considering we sold 2 of our academy products for £40 million ish in the summer and spent about 25% of that. The parachute payments are pretty much untouched, certainly in terms of transfer fees.

The squad that got relegated was exactly the same one that got promoted the year before plus Sam Byram. We spent a total of 750k when we went up (plus loan fees on some utter dross players who aren't with us anymore) The squad that went up the year before was put together on a shoestring.

Not sure that buying our way to success is a fair accusation seeing as we've not really spent any money over the last few years and have had James Maddison, Ben Godfrey and Jamal Lewis  bought for big bucks. 

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Sounds a bit sour considering we sold 2 of our academy products for £40 million ish in the summer and spent about 25% of that. The parachute payments are pretty much untouched, certainly in terms of transfer fees.

The squad that got relegated was exactly the same one that got promoted the year before plus Sam Byram. The squad that went up the year before was put together on a shoestring.

Not sure that buying our way to success is a fair accusation seeing as we've not really spent any money over the last few years and have had James Maddison, Ben Godfrey and Jamal Lewis  bought for big bucks. 

See Youseff, you've had your money 😉 

38 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Cantwell was superb tonight, back to his very best.

Yeah completely agree , he was awesome tonite , hope some of our fans lay off him , he was a joy to watch mom😁

4 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Yeah completely agree , he was awesome tonite , hope some of our fans lay off him , he was a joy to watch mom😁

Looks like he has bulked up  a bit too, definitely broader

47 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I know, the reward for failing hasn't filtered down to that level yet.

Yeah and your failure was before the parachute payments began, but of course we have had to succeed first before we could fail, on a regular basis however.

1 minute ago, Rivvo said:

Yeah and your failure was before the parachute payments began, but of course we have had to succeed first before we could fail, on a regular basis however.

What club do you support btw?

1 hour ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

City fan called Coventry radio to complain about the commentators saying Sky Blue all the time 🤣

What a m0r0n !

1 hour ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I know, the reward for failing hasn't filtered down to that level yet.

Nah see you have to get promoted to the best league in the country to get it. Sounds like you have to achieve first, something your lot can't be too familiar with over recent years. 

2 hours ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I try and make puns out of joint players on most forums I comment on. Thanks for declaring at 2-0, maybe if we get £50 million for being relegated we'll make a fist of it next time

Well, ‘Safari’ fits nicely on your tour  of the message boards then.

Taking of boards... our owners have a pittance compared to the rest of the Champs - table below (I see you’ve got Joy in your life...) - and really nothing in comparison to Prem club owners.

I think we sleep easy at night knowing our club uses honestly gained parachute payments and loyal fans’ ticket fees to plug a small proportion of the wealth gap.

When Cov eventually get back to the top table , you’ll see it’s changed somewhat since our brief dalliance  together there in the 90s! parachutes may not be the answer long term but the numbers barely touch the sides compared to the spending that potential  Prem survival demands.

On 02/10/2020 at 22:05, Mullet said:

TM-graphic-sports-Money-v2.thumb.jpg.df314a94ec2c8f5ebea8a8bb8b5bd649.jpg

Edited by GenerationA47
  • Like 1

Why are there 25 teams in that table?  Last time I looked, Fulham were in the PL (possibly only until May).

It is weird that it makes people with ‘only’ £23m look poor.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Coventry....like Rotherham...and Wycombe via a play off place...were gifted a promotion they didnt even earn last season. We dont even know if they were one of the best 3 teams in league one last season.

All could be coming home to roost if theyre relegated back to where they came from...

Good performance, especially first half.

Being ultra critical I would have preferred to see us push on a bit second half and try and improve the goal difference but you can’t really argue with a comfortable 2-0 away win.

Hanley is worrying me a bit at the moment though. Two or three times a game he’s getting caught on the ball trying to be over elaborate in tight areas. Keep it simpler please Grant.