CANARYKING

Meanwhile at Poooman Rd

I love the whole “I’m not going to criticise Marcus Evans” and then going on to criticise the bloke, and compare him and ITFC to the Randy Lerner/Villa situation. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is a touch ironic that he's spot on with what he says but due to his own shortcomings it just looks like deflection. 

As a club I think they need a total rebuild and they need their own McNally- someone to come in, be a bit nasty, change the attitude and get the club pulling in the same direction. Whether Evans have the stomach or the will for any of that is a big question though. 

I think that was possibly the idea behind Lamberts 5 year contract, but what it sounds like is that Evans has not given anyone (Lambert) the McNally role, and authority.

Under Webber City gradually replaced a fair number of staff - meaning they are all now working to the same  plan, and are well aware of their part in the overall structure, and what they are responsible for

Having a roof on one if the stands where a ''tree' is growing out of might be a joke as far as our lot goes - but it is a clear symbol  of lack of attention to detail on their part. One small failing of having two non football CEOs. At some point they need ,as you say "someone to come in, be a bit nasty, change the attitude and get the club pulling in the same direction"

• Like 2

Oh FFS, he's trying to make out none of it is his fault and he is, in fact, a saviour (Messiah even.......🤔) , even though he's been there for 28 months, and he even squeezes the word 'Dortmund' into the conversation🤦‍♂️

Edited by Crabbycanary3

Just now, Crabbycanary3 said:

Oh FFS, he's trying to make out it's not his fault and he is, in fact, a saviour (Messiah even.......🤔) , even though he's been there for 28 months, and he even squeezes the word 'Dortmund' into the conversation🤦‍♂️

odd how previous managers echo'ed his words

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think that was possibly the idea behind Lamberts 5 year contract, but what it sounds like is that Evans has not given anyone (Lambert) the McNally role, and authority.

Under Webber City gradually replaced a fair number of staff - meaning they are all now working to the same  plan, and are well aware of their part in the overall structure, and what they are responsible for

Having a roof on one if the stands where a ''tree' is growing out of might be a joke as far as our lot goes - but it is a clear symbol  of lack of attention to detail on their part. One small failing of having two non football CEOs. At some point they need ,as you say "someone to come in, be a bit nasty, change the attitude and get the club pulling in the same direction"

Personally I don't think you want to give all that power to a manager- makes them difficult to move on from and also likely creates a short term culture but I totally agree that this type of figure higher up is what they need.

The 'non-footballing' CEO thing is spot on in my opinion. Football isn't like any other business and you need someone who understands that to be a success in my opinion. Doesn't mean an ex player but it means someone who has worked in the game in some capacity for an extended period. Webber has never kicked a ball professionally but has been in or around football most of his adult life. McNally had experience at Fulham and Celtic. Those are the kind of people you can hire and just leave to do their jobs. Evans never seems to have found one of them but also doesn't seem to want to be a hands on type owner, which is just a recipe for total neglect. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Oh FFS, he's trying to make out none of it is his fault and he is, in fact, a saviour (Messiah even.......🤔) , even though he's been there for 28 months, and he even squeezes the word 'Dortmund' into the conversation🤦‍♂️

Living in the past? Fitting in well at Ipswich then

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is a touch ironic that he's spot on with what he says but due to his own shortcomings it just looks like deflection. 

As a club I think they need a total rebuild and they need their own McNally- someone to come in, be a bit nasty, change the attitude and get the club pulling in the same direction. Whether Evans have the stomach or the will for any of that is a big question though. 

This is a spectacular about turn? When has he ever said he defended Randy Learner ?  

at Villa  Lambert just protected himself , including throwing Cully and Carsa under a bus and agreeing to work with Roy Keane which was never going to work.  

Good to see he got Dortmund into the conversation again though.

Lambert ducks and weaves depending on the circumstances and then when he knows his time is up he blames everyone around him. He did the same at Blackburn and Stoke . 

A complete and utter t0sser working for a slimey little club.

• Like 3

I must confess to reading through all his post match comments (on Twitter not TWTD) and what a rambling reply he gave to the press. He stated that he was old (51) and had seen lots from his various experiences at big clubs and that his team were young. The impression was that this was the big difference. Yet, he went on to say they'd get through this phase. So, in one sense they were unprepared but they would also acclimatise. Despite his age and experience he didn't know what the answer was. But it was a deep problem.

51 isn't old as managers go either so it was a strange comment. Perhaps he is tired and jaded.

Then he alluded to structural problems throughout the club intimating that Evans has put in a lot of money but something wasn't right all through the club. And from this point on, he had learned not to blame himself so he was distancing himself from taking the full responsibility. Yet he just alluded to issues in various coded ways. It felt like the blame therefore was for some part on the ownership. After all, the problems all the way through the club and the set up, he couldn't be blamed for those. And he stated he'd been there for over two years now.

He was asked if his team had the quality and he stated he didn't know ("Who knows"). Not a ringing endorsement of his team and odd that he didn't know. Or was the blame to be laid there? Yet, they are so young. And he was old and experienced.

It's worth a read anyway. This summary is as convoluted as his words but it is difficult to summarise neatly.

Such a massive difference between Lambert and Daniel Farke. The latter is coherent, articulate, professional and keeps confidences. As one of the posters asked on TWTD just look at his behaviour ....threatening to fight one of our coaching staff and being sent to the stands, being sent off verbally abusing a match day official, banning a well known fan from a forum, blaming supporters....

No wonder he struggles to get a team going. He is incoherent and lacks energy.

He appears to have blamed everyone apart from himself! I recall Roeder doing that. It isn't a good look.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Personally I don't think you want to give all that power to a manager- makes them difficult to move on from and also likely creates a short term culture but I totally agree that this type of figure higher up is what they need.

The 'non-footballing' CEO thing is spot on in my opinion. Football isn't like any other business and you need someone who understands that to be a success in my opinion. Doesn't mean an ex player but it means someone who has worked in the game in some capacity for an extended period. Webber has never kicked a ball professionally but has been in or around football most of his adult life. McNally had experience at Fulham and Celtic. Those are the kind of people you can hire and just leave to do their jobs. Evans never seems to have found one of them but also doesn't seem to want to be a hands on type owner, which is just a recipe for total neglect. 

no, I was not suggesting power be given to a manager - but if Lambert has identified the problems then there has to be some method implemented, to sort things out, to then clarify who does what, and who is responsible for what - that doesn't seem to be the case at poorman road

two players have been told to train with the youngsters, they were put up 'for sale' in January with no takers - if Lambert felt it was in the club’s best interest to have them gone and so pay up part of their contract if necessary, but is unable to, that is where problems arise

with no clear 'command structure' the shambles simply staggers on

How can he not take his share of the responsibility? Primarily since he's the manager, but also because he's been there over two years and accepted a five year contract having been there easily long enough to see what the problems are.

And he's talking about them now? He sounds like a pathetic loser trying to blame everyone but himself. No  wonder the 1psw5ch lot are angry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

How can he not take his share of the responsibility? Primarily since he's the manager, but also because he's been there over two years and accepted a five year contract having been there easily long enough to see what the problems are.

And he's talking about them now? He sounds like a pathetic loser trying to blame everyone but himself. No  wonder the 1psw5ch lot are angry.

I think you'll find the point he is making is that the blame is not entirely his.

If he is unable to shift players for whatever reason the fault also lies there as well

If there is not a clear structure as to responsibility and authority then there lies problems also.

That club was a failing mess long before he was appointed.

None of the previous four managers left on good terms. In fact far from it, which rather suggests the fault lies with the club

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think you'll find the point he is making is that the blame is not entirely his.

If he is unable to shift players for whatever reason the fault also lies there as well

If there is not a clear structure as to responsibility and authority then there lies problems also.

That club was a failing mess long before he was appointed.

None of the previous four managers left on good terms. In fact far from it, which rather suggests the fault lies with the club

Which is a good case for him staying to try and sort the mess out. That's good enough for my vote👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t think that anyone could argue that something is obviously rotten in the Club. 

However 

Lambert has given very little indication that the “structure” is to blame before now. In fact quite the opposite. Marcus is great , with great comms, the club is big , with a terrific fan base. He has terrific players , and has had money to attract premier league loanees that must surely bring with them a cost . 

The Club will pay a salary level higher than the vast majority of their competitors. 

Lambert started well two seasons running in Div3 - and everything is fine . Then he loses and it’s the “structure” . 

Don’t forget that this structure survived in the Chumps for many years , and got very close to promotion under Mad Mick. Lots of clubs went all the way through the chumps during the time that the Binners stayed there. 

Lambert has to take a large slice of the blame . But he never ever does . Wolves , Villa . Blackburn ,Stoke - what about their structures? 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I don’t think that anyone could argue that something is obviously rotten in the Club. 

However 

Lambert has given very little indication that the “structure” is to blame before now. In fact quite the opposite. Marcus is great , with great comms, the club is big , with a terrific fan base. He has terrific players , and has had money to attract premier league loanees that must surely bring with them a cost . 

The Club will pay a salary level higher than the vast majority of their competitors.

Lambert started well two seasons running in Div3 - and everything is fine . Then he loses and it’s the “structure” .

Don’t forget that this structure survived in the Chumps for many years , and got very close to promotion under Mad Mick. Lots of clubs went all the way through the chumps during the time that the Binners stayed there. 

Lambert has to take a large slice of the blame . But he never ever does . Wolves , Villa . Blackburn ,Stoke - what about their structures? 

His comments were that the blame does not lie with him alone. Not that he should not shoulder any blame.

As stated all four other managers have spoke of the same problems to a more or less degree. Lambert has just been more candud this time, that's all.

The fact that previous managers have said similar, then (surprise surprise) it comes down to PL's ego and his belief (You've got to have it) that you can change things BUT, coupled with that is the elephant in the room , that is the amount of time he has been there. He has had plenty of time (and the advantage of previous knowledge) to correct things, or take the morally noble route get the hell out, but then there is the 'small' matter of a 5 year contract in his back pocket..........

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

His comments were that the blame does not lie with him alone. Not that he should not shoulder any blame.

As stated all four other managers have spoke of the same problems to a more or less degree. Lambert has just been more candud this time, that's all.

The opinion of the last 4 managers may not be worth the fish and chip paper it is written on 

Let’s look at the four managers - five if you want to include Keane . 
Keane - after success at Sunderland , failed everywhere else . Turned to punditry. 

Jewell - see Roy Keane . ITFC was his last job of any note 

Mick McArthy . Did Ok . Maintained championship status and got into the playoffs. Left when the fans turned on him and Mucus feared for season ticket sales  . I don’t recall Mick saying anything other than they shouldn’t sack him? 

Paul Hurst - this was the up and coming card - and was given money pre season . I suspect that Hurst just wasn’t up to the job.  Currently bottom of league 2 with Grimsby 

Lambert . Took a struggling team , down . Never turned things around . Started league 3 ok but then lost it . Started this year well and then lost it -again . This will be Lamberts last job in England after multiple failures . 

I would suggest that it is more about making poor decisions than structure . 

decisions can only be made through the structure

compare what City have done with the binners

Having just listened to the All in Yellow pod with Darren Huckerby, he has an interesting opinion on the lasting effect the 03'04 title winners had on Norwich as a club. Namely, doing what they did imbued our support with an expectation to always be promoted that hadn't really been there for a number of years; this in turn influenced the flow of feeling around Worthington, Peter Grant, Roeder etc. when it wasn't going well.

Whilst it's maybe a simplistic view, I can't help but draw comparisons with Ipswich; the 'pressure' Lambert refers to is simply the continued inflated opinion the club has of itself for past glories. When McCarthy was deemed not good enough for simply keeping them steady, they gave the keys to a relative newby who started the crash and a washed up has-been who is finishing it. 

Their location, infrastructure, stadium and reputation is League One. It is what it is.

Well I for one hopes he gets a good result soon. He's doing an excellent job and I don't want to see him sacked.

The last thing we need is to see 1p5wich turn the corner.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Having just listened to the All in Yellow pod with Darren Huckerby, he has an interesting opinion on the lasting effect the 03'04 title winners had on Norwich as a club. Namely, doing what they did imbued our support with an expectation to always be promoted that hadn't really been there for a number of years; this in turn influenced the flow of feeling around Worthington, Peter Grant, Roeder etc. when it wasn't going well.

Whilst it's maybe a simplistic view, I can't help but draw comparisons with Ipswich; the 'pressure' Lambert refers to is simply the continued inflated opinion the club has of itself for past glories. When McCarthy was deemed not good enough for simply keeping them steady, they gave the keys to a relative newby who started the crash and a washed up has-been who is finishing it. 

Their location, infrastructure, stadium and reputation is League One. It is what it is.

I’ve made this point many times before . A visit to Portaloo exhibits nothing but old photos of yesteryear. Look at TWTD and all of the posters profile pics are of Micky Mills . 
Any organisation so stuck in the past has a huge issue with focusing on the now. This leads to hugely unrealistic expectation. 
The Binners had a successful period between the early 1960’s and the early 1980’s . 20 years . Those 20 years still dominate the whole outlook of the fans . Someone born  in 1975 - that starts going to football as a 7 year old in 1982 has never seen them win anything .  That supporter is 46 years old now! And will still harp on about Ray Crawford and Bobby Robson. What’s the point ? 
bit of realism and they might make a bit of progress . 

Keane, Hurst, McCarthy and now Lambert have all had a bit of a go at ITFC setup. That's most if not all of the previous managers under Evans. It's a rotten club and as someone says it needs to rebuild. Lambert was never going to be the right appointment. Ipswich failed in their due diligence they and are now suffering the consequence. The 5 year contract awarded to Lambert was frankly absurd.

Ironically the only manager to leave under a cloud in our recent history was Lambert, and it didn't get any better at Villa, but for some reason Ipswich were blind to all this.

From our perspective it's a perfect match, and long may it continue.

This seeming inability to recognise the plight they are in, as they are a big club with a glorious history, is actually quite interesting. I worked in Suffolk last year and became friendly with one of the locals - an old boy in his 80’s. He noticed my scarf in my van one day and that’s when I sadly realised he was a binner. I really liked this old guy, so I was prepared to commiserate with him over their current malaise - killing him seemed just a tad over the top. But when I alluded to the state they re in,  it never resonated with him in the slightest. It’s almost like that section of his brain had been lobotomised. Like they have a secret, cunning plan, that is soon to be hatched and they will be restored to their correct position - competing in Europe and wining the league. It’s really confounding. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Lambert on Five live now talking about last nights ref incident.

“Judgey never said anathen” apparently . And because of that incident Flynn Downes should have his two yellows rescinded. 

6 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

“Judgey never said anathen” apparently . And because of that incident Flynn Downes should have his two yellows rescinded. 

Have a look at the slo mo of the Ref at the moment he brandishes the yellow card. It looks like (using my very limited lip reading skills) the Ref is saying "Ferkin cheat" which may lend it self to Judge calling him that and the Ref getting the right hump or the Ref calling Judge out.

Are EFL Refs miked up to their Assessor? That would clear a lot up.

22 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Lambert on Five live now talking about last nights ref incident.

The ref was bang out of order and should be dealt with severely. Had that happened involving a Norwich player there would be outrage on here.

3 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Have a look at the slo mo of the Ref at the moment he brandishes the yellow card. It looks like (using my very limited lip reading skills) the Ref is saying "Ferkin cheat" which may lend it self to Judge calling him that and the Ref getting the right hump or the Ref calling Judge out.

Are EFL Refs miked up to their Assessor? That would clear a lot up.

Yes - there was an assessor on the game last night . I’d be amazed if the ref gets another League game for some time . He will be banished to the backwaters .