.....yesterday marks one year since we lost 1-0 at home to Liverpool...it was also Sam Byram's last game for us where he sustained his injury which is still keeping him out.

Have we ever had a player who's been injured for a whole calendar year?!....not even sure Matt Jarvis could lay claim to that?

A shame as he could have been a big player this season in this league and would probably have started at left back negating the need for Quintilla and then Giannoulis....if Aarons leaves , we could certainly do with him at right back next season

Anyone with any insight into just what kind of injury this is to keep him out for such a length of time??

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

It’s one of those things - sadly Byram was already a bit of a sick note before we signed him so we knew the risk, same with Jarvis.  Undoubtedly both decent but injury-prone players do become a reliability issue as how can you plan for when they might be available?
I recall Matthieu Louis-Jean back in the early 2000s who we signed from Forest (played a decent 182 games in 6 years per wiki) he looked pretty good but had horrible injuries and played just twice in his two years with us.

Edited by Branston Pickle

30 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

.....yesterday marks one year since we lost 1-0 at home to Liverpool...it was also Sam Byram's last game for us where he sustained his injury which is still keeping him out.

Have we ever had a player who's been injured for a whole calendar year?!....not even sure Matt Jarvis could lay claim to that?

A shame as he could have been a big player this season in this league and would probably have started at left back negating the need for Quintilla and then Giannoulis....if Aarons leaves , we could certainly do with him at right back next season

Anyone with any insight into just what kind of injury this is to keep him out for such a length of time??

I should imagine there have been a few down the years. Poor Louis Thompson was just beginning to look like a really good player before being struck down with one awful injury after another. I remember a lot of excitement about the signing of Matthew Rush from West Ham before he picked up some really bad long term injury (Rush, Jarvis and Byram all signed from West Ham). 

Wow that’s a helluva stat. He was supposed to be back in Jan originally wasn’t he? No idea what the injury is but he can’t be relied upon to stay fit. If Max goes two need to come I’m to cover Max and Byram.

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Didn’t we have an Irish centre half who got injured on his debut and we never saw him again ? John O’Neill ?

Awful tackle by John Fashanu v Wimbledon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Didn’t we have an Irish centre half who got injured on his debut and we never saw him again ? John O’Neill ?

I remember Lois-Jean and Neil Emblem both picking up early injuries that killed their careers here too.

We've had a few in recent years I guess;

Louis Thompson (he's injured again at the moment in case you were wondering)
Matt Jarvis
Aston Oxborough
Steven Naismith
James Vaughan

From the past Louis-Jean and Neil Emblem, especially the latter who came in with much praise about how good he was going to be for us but didn't last long. Unfortunately it happens in football, and some signings work out some don't. 

Emblem was super unlucky- came in, was named captain and then did his knee first game of his time here and never properly recovered. 

14 hours ago, John Ryans Express said:

In reply to the question in theOP, I think Peter Silvester was out for just over two years with the injury he suffered in the 71-72 promotion season.

Was it him who injured himself when he kicked a deadball off the pitch during a match? Someone did that at around that time. 

Just remembered poor Alex Notman too- broke his leg blocking a freekick v Ipswich and basically never played for us again. Insult to injury, I remember the referee booking him as he was stretched off as he'd encroached when charging out to block the ball.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Just remembered poor Alex Notman too- broke his leg blocking a freekick v Ipswich and basically never played for us again. Insult to injury, I remember the referee booking him as he was stretched off as he'd encroached when charging out to block the ball.

Luke Chadwick is another one who comes to mind whose time with us was blighted by injuries

@Branston Pickle  "sadly Byram was already a bit of a sick note before we signed him so we knew the risk, same with Jarvis"

Another of these apocryphal stories. 

Matt Jarvis was not a 'sick note' before arriving at Norwich. He made over 400 appearances, averaging over 31 games per season. [For comparison, John Ruddy averaged 35 apps per season at Norwich]

Jarvis, like Emblen, Notman & others, suffered badly through injury as a Canary but to suggest he was signed as damaged goods is just plain wrong.

10 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

@Branston Pickle  "sadly Byram was already a bit of a sick note before we signed him so we knew the risk, same with Jarvis"

Matt Jarvis was not a 'sick note' before arriving at Norwich. He made over 400 appearances, averaging over 31 games per season. [For comparison, John Ruddy averaged 35 apps per season at Norwich]

Jarvis, like Emblen, Notman & others, suffered badly through injury as a Canary but to suggest he was signed as damaged goods is just plain wrong.

He was signed after a season in which he only played 13 times due to injuries and his loan move was made permanent when he was injured. While he wasn't a total sick note, the warning signs were there in his recent history. 

In fairness, he looked rather good during his loan period so I think Norwich had the right intentions at the time with the belief he would recover and do well for us. Sadly it just wasn't to be.

Incidentally it's nice to see he has played 15 times for Woking so far this season - although it does look like he's only completed 90 minutes once and been used as a sub a fair bit

"only played 13 times due to injuries"

Even that is wrong. Jarvis was in the matchday squad for 29 games that particular season (PL had 7 subs). He is listed as missing just 7 matches in Aug/Sept. through injury.

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I said he was a bit of a sick note, which he was - he’d barely played for a season and was injured when we signed him hence getting him cheap.  As I also said, he was good player before that so to take umbrage at what I said is a bit daft.

7 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

@Branston Pickle   Any umbrage taken is at the casual repetition of an easily-disproven falsehood. 

Utter garbage - you disproved nothing other than in your own head.  The point was that signing injured players is a risk, though clearly anyone can suffer an injury at any point.  It didn’t work out with Jarvis, unless you think otherwise...?

2 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:He is listed as missing just 7 matches in Aug/Sept. through injury.

How many matches were played in August and September? Missing 7 games through injury sounds like missing 50+% of matches.

4 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

In the 2014/15 season he only made 11 appearances in the PL for West Ham due to injury. He signed on loan for us in September 2015 and was injured when that signing was made permanent.

Edited by TIL 1010

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

In the 2014/15 season he only made 11 appearances in the PL for West Ham due to injury. He signed on loan for us in September 2015 and was injured when that signing was made permanent.

As I wrote earliler, Jarvis was in the WHU matchday squad on 29 occasions in 2014/15, so clearly he was match-fit for the majority of that season.

On 16/02/2021 at 20:01, FenwayFrank said:

Yes, . Didn't he have a testimonial with us? I vaguely recall Gary lineker,Lee Chapman and Leslie ash(Chapman's wife) being there.

Just to show how small margins can be i think that was also the game Robert Fleck made his debut in. 1 player went on to score 83 goals in 300 games and the other got about 45 minutes.