Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Todays injury news- Skipp fine, Hugill back in training

Taken from David Freezer.

Farke also just confirmed to me that Olly Skipp is fine with his eye injury, had settled down a lot by Monday.

Jordan Hugill also back in team training and could be an option for the Rotherham game on Saturday, as he works his way back to full fitness.

Farke confirms Placheta wasn't involved v Stoke was a selection issue. Think he has a "bright future" and pace is a major asset but still much to work on, despite being a Poland international and at times has perhaps been too hard on himself.

Farke is pleased with the development of Sam McCallum (who won't feature tomorrow), he's getting regular game time in the Championship. "A good choice for him and a good choice for Coventry."

Stiepermann is edging closer to team training.

Interesting from Farke on Dowell, says he has no doubt he would find his proper rhythm if he could play four or five successive games now but that it's difficult to do that as they prepare for game day 30. "Has to wait for his chance and to use it."

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, king canary said:

Challenge being thrown down to Dowell there, clearly needs to do more to make the most of his minutes.

Sensing some disappointment from Farke with Dowell to be honest, that Number 10 position is crying out for someone to take it by the scruff of the neck and make it their own, Dowell arrived with much fanfare and was positioned to be the replacement for Marco, but can anyone honestly say that they wouldn't put Marco back in right now if he were fit and up to speed?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Sensing some disappointment from Farke with Dowell to be honest, that Number 10 position is crying out for someone to take it by the scruff of the neck and make it their own, Dowell arrived with much fanfare and was positioned to be the replacement for Marco, but can anyone honestly say that they wouldn't put Marco back in right now if he were fit and up to speed?

How much game time has Dowell had though?

Looks like he likes Placheta's attitude, and to be fair, he's looked a determined presence on the field even though it's not quite clicked yet.

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Quite a comedown for Placheta to start 2 games and then not be in a matchday squad of 20.

Still cant fathom why Farke thought he was the best choice to have come in for Buendia during his 2 game suspension

Mostly down to Onel being injured at the time, although not sure why Martin seems to have been thrown out the squad

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think the issue Farke is highlighting that he isn't doing enough with the game time he has to justify giving him more. 

Players can't always be afforded the luxury of 5/6 games starting to get up to speed- we're in the middle of promotion run and he needs to make an impact with what he has. 

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the issue Farke is highlighting that he isn't doing enough with the game time he has to justify giving him more. 

Players can't always be afforded the luxury of 5/6 games starting to get up to speed- we're in the middle of promotion run and he needs to make an impact with what he has. 

We have struggled with getting a good number 10 since Hoolahan left

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We have struggled with getting a good number 10 since Hoolahan left

Steipi was the man last time out in the Champ! Goals and assists readily provided, 9 and 8 which are spot on figures for a 10. Unfortunately didn't hit the same heights in the Prem, fluffing his lines at Liverpool and then never really seeming to be at the races when he did play. Clearly he's had some long term medical issue, so that might have been partly to blame, but I'd love to see the Marco of 18/19 back with us, he was perfect for the way we play.

Agree with the comments on Dowell, was bought in to do a job and hasn't done it. He has been a tad unfortunate with his injury perhaps, but little apart from a yellow card to show for 11 games is not really at the level we were hoping. 5 goals and 2 assists in a poor Wigan side last season are more what we're after, hopefully those comments are the kick he needs. Same with Placheta, just needs to deliver some goods. I've no doubt both are very talented and well rated, but they need to start to deliver given we're on a promotion run-in and so far they've both bought very little to the party!

29 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Quite a comedown for Placheta to start 2 games and then not be in a matchday squad of 20.

Still cant fathom why Farke thought he was the best choice to have come in for Buendia during his 2 game suspension

Was thinking the same. We haven’t scored a goal while Placheta has been on the pitch since Coventry in the cup (Jan 9th), in the league you have to go back further to December 5th.

Farke hasn’t quite figured out that puzzle. Pace is so important if we get to prem, so would be great to find a solution there. 

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

Steipi was the man last time out in the Champ! Goals and assists readily provided, 9 and 8 which are spot on figures for a 10. Unfortunately didn't hit the same heights in the Prem, fluffing his lines at Liverpool and then never really seeming to be at the races when he did play. Clearly he's had some long term medical issue, so that might have been partly to blame, but I'd love to see the Marco of 18/19 back with us, he was perfect for the way we play.

Agree with the comments on Dowell, was bought in to do a job and hasn't done it. He has been a tad unfortunate with his injury perhaps, but little apart from a yellow card to show for 11 games is not really at the level we were hoping. 5 goals and 2 assists in a poor Wigan side last season are more what we're after, hopefully those comments are the kick he needs. Same with Placheta, just needs to deliver some goods. I've no doubt both are very talented and well rated, but they need to start to deliver given we're on a promotion run-in and so far they've both bought very little to the party!

Yeah was going to say Marco did an excellent job for a season in there.

8 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Was thinking the same. We haven’t scored a goal while Placheta has been on the pitch since Coventry in the cup (Jan 9th), in the league you have to go back further to December 5th.

Farke hasn’t quite figured out that puzzle. Pace is so important if we get to prem, so would be great to find a solution there. 

I think the thought was Hernandez wasn't quite ready and it would give Placheta a chance to prove his worth. Unfortunately that has backfired and he wasn't even in the squad. Not that he probably needs more motivation, but he'll have to work hard to get back in!

9 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Placheta feels like a classic example of a player who right now is an athlete not a footballer. Pace is great but you need techniqu and a footballing brain too. The hope is he develops like Traore did at Wolves who was a similar type of player a few years ago.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I agree it's a Catch 22, he isn't showing enough in training to be rewarded with a start, so he isn't getting game time to get up to speed and get rhythm, doesn't produce the goods and probably doesn't feel as sharp in training, round and round.

It's up to the player to break that cycle, we can't afford any passengers right now as we're on a relentless march to the end of the season and we need top 2, end of.

Think Placheta comes across as quite a quiet character on the pitch and does always cut quite a dejected figure whenever he gets something wrong (Todd used to be quite similar in that respect).  It comes across like when he gets the ball he doesn't yet have the confidence to match his mad pace, to lock in a fullback and say 'I'm going to get past you and deliver this ball'; it's more like 'gosh I hope I can run past this guy'.

As much taking him out of the firing line as it was a drop I feel. More to come from him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

although not sure why Martin seems to have been thrown out the squad

Are you practicing for a job as a Sun 'journalist'? If so, be more sensational, leave out the 'seems'.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

Placheta feels like a classic example of a player who right now is an athlete not a footballer. Pace is great but you need techniqu and a footballing brain too. The hope is he develops like Traore did at Wolves who was a similar type of player a few years ago.

We wouldn’t be having this conversation if he was a half decent finisher. He’s found himself in some very, very good positions this season and fluffed the chance. That’s what I’d be working on with him. 

19 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Are you practicing for a job as a Sun 'journalist'? If so, be more sensational, leave out the 'seems'.

alright, no clue why he has been taken out of the squad and placed into the under 23's when he has shown talent and promise and done very well in the first team

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

alright, no clue why he has been taken out of the squad and placed into the under 23's when he has shown talent and promise and done very well in the first team

With most of the squad fit we have a very strong bench, that’s all there is to it

23 minutes ago, WD40 said:

We wouldn’t be having this conversation if he was a half decent finisher. He’s found himself in some very, very good positions this season and fluffed the chance. That’s what I’d be working on with him. 

Exactly. Placheta's got good game intelligence to take the positions up that he has, and he's clearly trying very hard indeed. I think he's one of those cases where if he relaxes a bit, he'll play better.

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I wonder whether this is a double bluff and he is going to start on Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, Big O said:

I wonder whether this is a double bluff and he is going to start on Wednesday. 

I'm thinking the same. Coventry have both McCallum and Fabo out, so their main full-backs/wing-backs. Giannoulis and Aarons are probably thinking "righty-ho, let's push", and you'd think that should give more space for a number 10. Vrancic is not a 90-minute player any more, and Dowell - should - be the long-term replacement who also needs game time.

I think now that he has virtually a full squad to choose from, Farke is positioning the minds of the players and fans as we enter a critical phase of the season.

The only thing that concerns me is that if Placheta and Dowell are deemed not quite good enough or ready, then there isn't going to be a lot of competition for places.

It's not a problem if every game pans out like Stoke, but if games are tighter then we may need creativity off the bench. I don't see where Hernandez is that much better either.

I'm not saying Farke is wrong because he isn't, we've all seen those players perform or not perform as well, but it's slightly frustrating.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

How much game time has Dowell had

The amount of minutes hes spent on the pitch in league and cup games works out about the same as 5 full games.