Sadly Ex player John Manning passed away this morning 16/2/21. John had been fighting Alzheimer’s disease. Front row second left. 

28E7D0BC-1940-4A0E-99E8-755E87CDED06.jpeg

Edited by Dave Griffiths

Sad news.

Old fashioned centre forward who could run through a brick wall without noticing it.

It was a different game then.

R.I.P. Big John.

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

RIP John Manning and as ricardo has said an old fashioned centre forward.

Who is that standing top right Til?

possibly Alan Black?

Edited by ricardo

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Who is that standing top right Til?

possibly Alan Black?

Indeed it is.

• Thanks 1

That picture was a competition I entered in the EEN about 20 years ago. I think you had to name the players and the game. I am sure it was away at Villa and I think the year was 1967.

Hugh Curran my favourite all time City player, him and John Manning formed a twin spearhead - when was the last time you heard that expression. Two players I don’t recognise, one between Trevor Howard and Dave Stringer (Gerry Howshall?) and the other between Manning and Curran. 

Another of the players I remnember so well from when I was a youngster. And yet another great header of the ball to end his days living with dementia. He must have found this last year a real struggle. The virus has made life so difficult for people living with dementia.

RIP John Manning. You once won me sixpence off my nan! It was when we played Sunderland in the FA Cup in 1968, we drew 1-1 at Carrow Road and nobody gave us a chance in the replay, my Nan bet me 6d that we would get beat. But we won 1-0 at Roker Park and Manning scored the goal.

This is my favourite picture of John Manning at Stamford Bridge in the fourth round of the same FA Cup. We lost 1-0.

Pink Un.jpg

The picture..

Kenny Foggo, Trevor Howard, Gerry Howshall, Dave Stringer, Kevin Keelan, Terry Anderson, Geoff Butler

Neil O'Donnel, John Manning, Ken Mallender, Hugh Curran, Duncan Forbes.

Happy days 💛💚🙃

• Like 1

Nutty, may I echo the words of your first paragraph, regretfully so true.  Rest in peace John Manning and thanks for the memories and a great song.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kathy said:

Great memories there Kathy. Such a great time, the 60s, and City were coming out of the awful financial times of the 50s.

Nobody wearing City shirts then. Middle aged men wore suits and a tie to the match!

My first ever games were when John manning was playing great player seem to remember if I’m right the supporters club raised money to buy Gerry howshall or Ken malender we seem to have a lot of strikers come and go , of course there was Ron Davies , plus Terry allcock, Hugh Curran , John manning , Laurie Sheffield and Bryan conlon. Happy days but the team at that time seemed to just hover around mid table until Ron Saunders arrived 

3 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

My first ever games were when John manning was playing great player seem to remember if I’m right the supporters club raised money to buy Gerry howshall or Ken malender we seem to have a lot of strikers come and go , of course there was Ron Davies , plus Terry allcock, Hugh Curran , John manning , Laurie Sheffield and Bryan conlon. Happy days but the team at that time seemed to just hover around mid table until Ron Saunders arrived 

£30, 000

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Games that finished at 4.40 on a Saturday afternoon and in Winter they finished under those dreadful old floodlights, that were so weak that Match of the Week had to show the 2nd half in B&W.

14 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is my favourite picture of John Manning at Stamford Bridge in the fourth round of the same FA Cup. We lost 1-0.

Pink Un.jpg

A crowd of over 59,000 and i was one of them. Charlie Cooke scored the only goal of the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill said:

£30, 000

found this

"The folding recently of a Supporters Association reminded me of the old Supporters Club founded following the near collapse of the football club in 1957. It was wonderfully successful and had its own Social Club on Thorpe Road which was usually packed every night. All the money raised went to the football club usually to help buy players. Who can remember Gerry Howshall? We bought him from WBA for, if my memory serves me well, £25000. The Supporters Club supplied so much of the money that he actually signed his contract at a dinner dance organised by the Supporters Club.

He was described as an all action midfielder and he certainly lived up to his billing. I think he had a wind up key in his back and the Manager would wind it up as the teams came out and Howshall would then run non stop until the end of the half. The problem was nobody seemed to have told him that the game also involved a ball!!! If it came his way during the course of the game he just seemed to aimlessly kick it in the general direction of where he was running. He was useless!!

The funny thing is that a few years ago, before I retired, I attended a Business/Golf day in Staffordshire and was told that their Greenkeeper was an ex-Norwich player - the said Gerry Howshall. I have to say that he was a better Greenkeeper than he was a footballer. The Supporters Club declined and eventually folded although I cannot remember the exact circumstances.

Happy days! ''"

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

No laughing at the photo you said but whatever happened to that sweet, innocent little girl on the right ?

“Come on without, come on within, you’ve not seen nothing like John Manning”

I’m still delightful 😇

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

No laughing at the photo you said but whatever happened to that sweet, innocent little girl on the right ?

“Come on without, come on within, you’ve not seen nothing like John Manning”